Barcelona signs Ben Lederman to academy

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by schrutebuck, Jun 2, 2011.

1. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Eh. Not just Africa. All the smaller leagues who have dedicated themselves to development would suffer without this rule. Really advanced players often become evident at 15. Big clubs would have no problem tossing big sums at the family to get them to move. It'd be quite easy to get even sums that would move the average 1st world family.

2. That's right about two years ago a highly considered 15 year old got taken away from an Academy by offering the parents a salary considerable higher than they had. These were common people at the lower end of the income table. So if offered twice their normal salary it would be peanuts for the club, it was either Manchester City or Chelsea, but big for those people. I cannot remember which player it was, as I consider them lost and never to be heard of as those EPL academies have yet to produce an Orange grade player. It is a little sad too, as they are blinded by the salary and the name of the clubs involved, but in fact take a huge chance in ruining their kids future. I call those EPL academies "the black hole for Dutch talents" for a reason.
    Only the academies of Southampton and West Ham and another one that slipped out of my mind are worthy in my eyes.

3. From this article (http://www.vn.nl/hoe-spelersmakelaars-jonge-topvoetballers-verleiden/ )I took this part:

"(Duncan Smit) Maar zelf je keuzes leren maken, samen met je ouders – dat is pas goed voor je ontwikkeling. Jeffrey Bruma (15), centrale verdediger van Feyenoord B1, zei ja tegen de zesduizend euro per week van Chelsea. Natuurlijk greep hij die kans! Haalt hij het eerste niet, dan kan hij met deze ervaring bij elke Nederlandse profclub aan de bak.’
    Smits Haagse collega Rodger Linse, zaakwaarnemer van onder meer Ruud van Nistelrooy, brengt jonge spelers juist ‘liever niet’ naar Engeland. ‘De Nederlandse jeugdopleiding is de beste ter wereld. In Engeland worden spelers fysiek en mentaal sterker, maar technisch en tactisch leren ze er niks bij. Ze geven daar niet echt om je, terwijl veel Nederlandse opleiders je als hun eigen kind beschouwen.’
    Translation:( Duncan Smit says) "But learning to make your own choices, together with your parents - that really is good for your development. Jeffrey Bruma (15) central defender of Feyenoord B1, said yes to a 6000 euro a week from Chelsea. Of course hetook that chance! Doesnot he make the first team, then with that experience he can play at any Dutch pro club."
    Smit's colleague from The Hague Rodger Linse, agent of among others Ruud van Nistelrooij, as a matter of fact preferably doesnot like to take young players to England. The Dutch youth education is the best in the world. In England players become physically and mentally stronger, but tactically and technically they donot learn anything in addition. Over there they do not care at all about you, while many Dutch educators consider you as their own child."

Bruma was taken as the best defensive talent, a Jaap Stam in the making, in the Netherlands. Mr Smit was right he would be able to get a place at a Dutch pro club. After failing in England and Germany he now is at PSV. And while watching him play you cannot believe how bad he is. His development towards a top player has come to a halt at 15 years. He only developed an attitude over there.

I havenot got the time to translate in whole but perhaps google come to the rescue.

4. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
  5. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    On to Bradenton, it seems:

Sam Borden ‏@SamBorden 4h4 hours ago
    ... after publication today, I heard from the Ledermans again. ...

Sam Borden ‏@SamBorden 4h4 hours ago
    ..And it sounds like while they consider their legal options (inc. CAS), Ben is going to join a residency program in Florida so he can play.

Winoman repped this.
  6. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  7. That rule was created to prevent children from being exploited, vulnerable kids, and if they werenot good enough being tossed away as litter.
    You hardly can call kids from parents capable paying so much, vulnerable in that sense. I donot get why on earth you would pay that kind of money anyway, because they are located in Barcelona? And then you still have the cost of living like health insurance, school fees etc.
    It's even more ridiculous, given the fact that you can enter a Dutch academy and only pay the living costs.
    Just count the number of players at the WC 2014 that came through all Dutch academies and put that against the number from that Oriol academy.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    IMG Academy ‏@IMGAcademy
    As the 1st American-born player invited to train in FC Barcelona's youth system, Ben Lederman enrolls at IMG Academy http://imgacade.my/1Ovnk0l

By the way, IMG Academy isn't necessarily the U17 national team...............................

9. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Kinda surprised he just didn't go back to SoCal and train with LA Galaxy and B.Kleiban and M. Munoz. Kleiban is his old coach and coaching their U14s and I think B.Lederman is 14.

10. CaptainD

CaptainD Member

Oct 20, 2014
    It can be confusing, but Lederman (born in 2000) is on the roster for the 15/16 IMG Academy team. http://imga.ussoccerda.com/sam/teams/index.php?team=1400542

BTW, the 17 YNT boys only use the facilities at IMG. They do not attend the school--they go to St. Stephen's Episcopal School nearby. So if someone is enrolled at IMG they're really at IMG.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Its kind of a weird one. Perhaps he'll be with IMG for a while until he enrolls full-time as part of the U17 residency program in the near future. U17 residency is a weird group right now. Doesn't it seem like a large number of kids on the U17 national team aren't at Bradenton? Zendejas, Pulisic, Gallardo, Barbir, Wright, and on and on are with club teams on a day-to-day basis. So what's going on at Bradenton? How many players are actually training there and going to school there?

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  12. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    If the past provides any indication, the fall roster should be announced in the next week or two.

13. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad that Lederman has been able to progress from La Masia to Richie Williams' tutelage!

14. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    Patience Ben! Climb the ladder.

What is the next step? Tab Ramos? It seems like he is going down the ladder.

Thegreatwar and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  15. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    La Masia to Williams to Ramos to Klinsmann.

I guess Jürgen was on point when he said the pyramid is upside down in this country.

16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
  17. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yep, there was some noise from Barcelona that this might happen.

18. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    glad to see FIFA getting hit from all angles

19. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am actually on Fifa's side on this issue which is a rarity.

20. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    A blanket rule that covers everyone with no exceptions often throws the baby out with the bath water.
    Ben Lederman and his family did not fit the reason of why the rule was instituted. His well being as a child was well taken care of with his supportive family living with him. Is there a way to have the rule for the vast majority of cases but make exceptions for the reason why the spirit of the rule exists.

TxEx, deejay and Winoman repped this.
  21. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    No way in hell that FIFA would want to review that many cases, that's why it will be such black and white.

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps, but if you read some of the earlier interviews with the Ledermans, the move without a work permit really put the family at economic risk. If an educated, worldly family with resources has that issue, it shows there aren't many families that would qualify.

23. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    When he was at Barca I wished him well but, I do not think it is a model that should be followed. And a precedent would be set that the rule does not apply to rich kids.

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #650 Clint Eastwood, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    There's no way for FIFA to legislate the avalanche of cases that would appear if they got rid of the rule.

We all understand why the rule exists. Its to prevent a club (lets a seedy Ukrainian one) from exploiting groups of young African kids. We also understand why the Lederman's are pissed about it existing. Barca's a rich club trying to hoover up the best talent. They don't care one iota about the health of the game worldwide. The Lederman's have money (from a "world" perspective) and feel their child should be allowed to play for a club of their choosing. Both sides make compelling arguments, but I actually side with FIFA on this one. This is a case of a privileged club and a privileged family (from a world perspective) unhappy about not having things their way, even though they knew they were breaking the rules.

I fear what the Euro clubs would do if we got rid of this rule. How many 12 year old Brazilians, Argentines, Africans, etc. would they bring over? They wouldn't be bringing over hordes of Americans.................................

FIFA as a whole is going to defend this rule tooth and nail, and that's because the overwhelming number of FIFA members don't want their domestic youth pools plundered. A nation/league like Argentina depends on the conveyor belt of talent coming up from the youth ranks every year to replace the adult players sold to Europe. What happens if the conveyor belt stops? Disaster. Well...........its already a financial disaster as it is. The second any Argentine 18-20 year old looks like he has any talent whatsoever, the European vultures start circling.

If it was up to me...........the rule stays. We don't needs 10-12 year olds moving en masse from around the world to Europe. The "talent drain" of 18-20 year olds is bad enough.