Barcelona signs Ben Lederman to academy

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by schrutebuck, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is kind of like a kid who went to Harvard, who did not get his dream job the first time he applied. He still got to go to Harvard, and that alone is going to open up plenty of doors for him.

2. CapeCodFutbol

CapeCodFutbol Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're spot on that "without playing" means still training with the Cadete B team, but no games against other (non-Barca) teams. In fact, they made the point that Take was still improving while training, he just wasn't able to play in any games (and there is no prospect to do so until he turns of age now).

"En los dos últimos años, en el Infantil B de Marcel Sans y el A de Denis Silva, apenas ha jugado, pero los técnicos y sus compañeros aseguran que ha seguido progresando, que sus entrenamientos son un espectáculo y que sigue apuntando muy alto."

In the past two years for Infantil B, Take has hardly played but the coaches and teammates assure that he has continued growing, and his training is spectacular and he's still got a bright future.

3. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #578 luvdagame, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    any news on this kid?

did the barca ban somehow prevent him from being called up to next weeks u15 team?

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Transfermarkt has him with Cadete A, which is three levels below the reserves and four levels below the first team. After Cadete A, there is Juvenil B, Juvenil A, Reserves and then First Team. Cadete A this season mostly consists of 99's with some 00's. Lederman is a '00.

Last season he was with Cadete B, so this seems like a logical progression. Barcelona's official website doesn't have the rosters for this season listed yet, but I assume he just won't be listed on the Cadete A roster, despite being a Cadete A player. Maybe he'll just train with the squad and play in scrimmages for now.

Or maybe this is all wrong and he's back in the USA.

5. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd keep an eye out for the Galaxy academy's updated roster for the 2015-2016 season(the rosters up right now are old).

6. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I'd be shocked if he were still in Spain. Why stick around for a new season he can't be a part of?

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, I also thought the same, but its strange that he's listed as having moved up a level with Barcelona. It'd be one thing if they just didn't know and had him listed on the same team as the previous season. The fact that they have him moving up a level is strange.

8. CapeCodFutbol

CapeCodFutbol Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough, but he does seem to still be there now:

http://www.marca.com/2015/08/20/futbol/equipos/barcelona/1440070024.html

An article about how Barca has rescinded two contract offers, to avoid the same sanctions they've run into. In that article is also this:

El camerunés Patrice Soussia, juvenil B y el norteamericano Ben Lederman, cadete A, tampoco pueden participar en la cantera azulgrana. Los dos están castigados por la FIFA.

... Ben Lederman (cadete A squad) also can't participate in the cantera...

Which makes it sounds like he's still there, but still prevented from playing. (In comparison, there is no mention of Take, the Japanese player who has returned home).

Scotty and BostonRed repped this.
  9. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    The kid and his family are persistent. You have got to give them that.

10. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    But I haven't seen him get called into recent YNT camps. Let's hope for the best.

Gacm32 repped this.
  11. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess he is still training with whatever team he is on with Barcelona, and the club is still helping his family out. Don't know how Barcelona is really gauging his development with him pretty much only practicing, though.

12. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Very odd that all these other foreign kids are forced to leave while Lederman sticks around. You have to wonder if they have some kind of plan in the works to try and salvage his youth career there.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  14. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Lederman?

No, Juvenil A is U-19 level. Below that is Juvenil B which is U-17 level. He's supposed to be with Cadete A, which is U-16 level.

He's about two years from Juvenil A level. The beginning of the 2018-2019 season is when he's supposed to be eligible to be registered at Barcelona. If he's still with Barcelona, that'll probably be either Barcelona B (if he's on an advanced track) or Juvenil A (if he's on a normal track).

TheFalseNine repped this.
  16. Is he only exercising? That cannot be good for his development.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think he's able to play in unofficial matches, but none of their league games or other tournaments.

18. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What percentage of U-16 players ever appear for Barca? Less than 5%? Perhaps one player per generation? What percentage actually become viable professionals? Less than 50% I'd imagine. I don't know why there are so many posts in this thread.

19. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    You may be right about the stats, but let's face it, La Masia is world renowned, so any U.S. player playing there, officially registered or not, piques the curiosity of those who follow U.S. youth players.

bballshawn and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm not sure how Lederman is rated at Barcelona. It seems like he's pretty good, but Konrad actually seems to be one of the best players in the academy at his position. If we have a player that will make it at Barcelona, its probably him instead of Lederman.

21. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Their 'rejects' still go on to be very complete players that can still add much value to any team. I am not concerned.

ussoccer97531, Winoman and deejay repped this.
  22. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone commented awhile back that he is able to play in friendlies and intersquad games.

23. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Many of us that follow the game enjoy the talent development and the long term process of our players even if they never play first team football for Barca. Some just follow first team football, others like myself enjoy youth development over time.

24. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that true? How many never become professionals? I'm not talking players that make it to Barca B. I'm talking about your average 15 year old in the academy. From my understanding, most never receive a pro paycheck.

25. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.