Barcelona might be the next Chivas

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by depor15, Nov 11, 2004.

1. megapolemico

megapolemico New Member

Sep 4, 2001
    at home finally!
    No doubt Barcelona would draw fans from all nationalities given that is one of the most prestigious clubs worldwide. Latinos would be inmensely attracted by Barca USA as well as Europeans and Americans alike.

My candidate city for Barca USA: Miami, no doubt.

2. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    Yes, particularly if Major League Soccer's goal is to become a glorified farm system and marketing tool for professional sides from other nations.

I'm sorry, but the Chivases and Barcelonas of the world aren't willing to invest in MLS out of the kindness of their hearts or due to any philanthropic concern over the future of a United States-based domestic league. They're here because they see MLS as a means to a two-fold end: growing their club brand while potentially developing talent for their foreign-based first division sides. Period.

These international clubs will prove to be no less mercenary in their relationship with MLS than the National Football League has been with the markets of NFL Europe. Why do I say that? Because, the NFL is in Europe to sell its souvenirs and the souvenirs of the NFL Europe clubs to the Euro marketplace. The NFL is in Europe to develop the skills of a certain percentage of international players for eventual use by North American-based NFL teams. The same holds true for the international club soccer side "investing" in MLS. In reality, these international sides are investing in themselves. Let's face facts: CD Chivas USA is never going to be Vergara's top soccer priority. His Mexican-based side holds that special place in his heart (and wallet), just as a US-based Barca-sponsored club is going to be nothing more than an adjunct to the real Barcelona.

If anybody is under the impression that these "relationships" are going to be true "two-way streets"... think again. The international club sides - even some MFL teams like Chivas or Club America - are the "partners" dealing from a position of strength. MLS is just their conduit to a source of talent development and t-shirt sales. As soon as they feel that they've gotten all they can out of MLS, they'll be gone. The same way that the National Football League-administered NFL Europe has pulled up stakes in London, Barcelona and Scotland without blinking an eye.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

I fully understand your concerns here, especially as it pertains to the rumors of Barca, Ajax, etc. having teams in the league. They have essentially no business being here.

I'm not willing to make a judgement on Chivas yet. I think they have a very good business model, and they're moves so far make me believe they're in it for the long haul. Vargera seems committed to making Chivas USA the best team in America. He's not just in it to sell t-shirts.

4. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    How exactly will Major League Soccer be "on par" with the European leagues if MLS must depend upon investment from established European/Latin American clubs in order to garner "acceptance" from the international soccer community? If a portion of Major League Soccer's member clubs must be adjuncts to already-established international sides before the league can be "accepted" in the world soccer community, how can MLS ever say that it's "on par" with other international leagues? I mean, by definition you're suggesting that MLS can't get its act together in the eyes of the international soccer community without the stewardship of foreign sides over MLS clubs. Therefore, the international soccer community will always regard us as a "quaint" domestic competition forced to rely upon foreign investment/sponsorship to garner what little legitimacy it can.

5. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    Well, you could be right in as much as Vergara may well regard the United States as the last great "wilderness" of American soccer development, i.e. North, Central and South America. This may come as a shock to supporters of Club Deportivo Guadalajara, but given Mexico's economy, Vergara may well see a future where Club Deportivo Chivas USA (perhaps CD Chivas Americas, by then) is the prime jewel in his soccer crown.

Even if his passion for CD Chivas USA doesn't grow to quite that level, I still question his loyalty to MLS over his beloved Chivas brand. Sure, he wants to make Chivas USA the best team in the United States of America. However, the argument can be made that he's doing so to illustrate the superiority of his team's level of soccer over that which is played in MLS. How well will it play to the CD Guadalajara fans in Mexico if they soon learn that their "sister-team" is capable of outclassing American-owned MLS clubs? Further, it can be argued that he's simply trying to line his pockets by operating a club that caters to all United States-based CD Guadalajara fans. It's a "double-dip" for him to not only play to their enthusiasm for the MFL club back home, but to also give them a second club to root for in the United States.

At the end of the day, Vergara has much less of a vested interest in Major League Soccer's success than he does in the CD Chivas brand's success. The same will hold true for the investor/operator-ships of any foreign-based club side.

6. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
    It's actually quite a bit higher, say 5-15% are actually vocal about it. Just no leadership. I don't think the independence movement will ever have much complaint with the Islanders (I certainly don't, and I consider myself an independentista) because it gives us pretty good futbol on the Island. Plus, since we are our own country for FIFA standards we can't play in the US Open Cup and such like that.

7. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I think since Chivas is the first to do this 'expansion' thing, it must never happen again. Enough with the 'investments', which are nothing more than attempting to ensure that MLS remains at a minor league level to UEFA teams. I can just see it now with Chivas or Barcelona, after the MLS season is done, players get 'rewarded' with playing with the father team, get buried on the bench, save for a few garbage minutes, and held hostage there. This must stop right here.

8. megapolemico

megapolemico New Member

Sep 4, 2001
    at home finally!
    But it won't, trust me, if Chivas suceeds with this model then the floodgates will be open and not just Barca but Club America, Madrid, Man U and of course don't forget Abramovich will be tempted to follow. Deal with it.

9. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Somewhat ironically, the Sockers FC had to win a recent tournament championship by resorting to penalty kicks after a 0-0 draw. Hmmm. So, which country's breathtaking goal-scoring prowess was your team emulating? ;)

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/ScoreSheet/1100386750/view

Admittedly, the mix of U16, U17, U18 is interesting.