Barca vs Werder Pre/During/Post game thread [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by krazbo, Dec 3, 2006.

1. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
  2. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    After the Levante match I took a nap and when I woke up I had this wierd, nervous feeling, like, "My God, please don't lose". And this is three days before the game! :eek: Felt like this last season leading up to the Chelsea 1st leg and the Arsenal final. If I'm not going nuts now, I will be by the time they've kicked off.

3. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm scared...

4. FMF_LFP

FMF_LFP Red Card

Aug 19, 2005
    Piss Peru
    Barca will pull it off at home I have no doubts with the whole crowd supporting our team. All of Barcelona has been waiting for this huge game for weeks now and will show support. They played superbly last time at Camp Nou, and I know because I was at the game. We have a huge advantage playing at Camp Nou and the team seems to be really focused for this game.

5. tiemyshoey

tiemyshoey New Member

Sep 3, 2006
    For once I have not so many worries about the attack. I think Ronnie, Deco, Guddy, and Giuly have enough chemistry that they'll pull something off. The defense is more worrying. If Thuram or Marquez holds it down and Puyol doesn't go Captain Caveman on the proceedings, as Sid Lowe would say, I think we'll be fine.

6. kotto_bass

kotto_bass New Member

Nov 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I'm concerned only because this is a must win for Barca, and Werder is hitting form at the right time. Barca will have to be at it's best for 93 mins, else it could be all over. No Eto'o to provide constant threat, and no Messi to rescue any situation!

7. Lucho-the-Legend

Nov 9, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The key for this game is for Barca to attack early and often. For the most part and early goal will set the tone for the match. The Bremen defense isnt as strong as there offense and they have a tendency to allow goals but also counter it with attacking potency. If Barca play attacking but not too attacking they will win this match.

The goal should be score early and play Barca style, not the opponents.

8. FMF_LFP

FMF_LFP Red Card

Aug 19, 2005
    Piss Peru
    Is still uncertain whether or not Marquez will be playing , even though the doctor has said he should be ready by Tuesday. As far as Puyol, he should be calm like a captain and see him stepping up like in the past in this important games.

I see the line up very similar to last week's game against Villarreal.

---------------------Valdes---------------------------
    Zambrotta------Marquez------Puyol-------Van Bronckhorst
    ------------------Motta------Iniesta----------------------
    ----------------------Deco------------------------------
    Giuly------------------------------------------Ronaldinho
    --------------------Gudjohnsen--------------------------

Still have my doubts
    Motta or Xavi - Xavi just getting out of a recent injury

Marquez or Thuram - just getting out of a recent injury

9. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    i don't think all three of xavi-deco-iniesta will play considering the physical stregth of bremen. and what about edmilson? he hasn't really been at his best but i'd still pick him over motta. i think the real choice is between xavi and iniesta. iniesta has been fantastic this season, but FR might just prefer to go with the veteran for such a tense situation.

10. FMF_LFP

FMF_LFP Red Card

Aug 19, 2005
    Piss Peru
    Iniesta has been playing marvelously this season and he has been one of my biggest fans throughout his short career. Its still very questionable what lineup Rikjaard will use. In a way I would feel more comfortable if we had Iniesta as a 2nd half man, we know what he can do and how he can change a team if we want a slower pace game with more possession. He could very well sub out Giuly from right side or play more back in the mid. As far as Edmilson your right he could very well start even though he hasnt been great. I rather take Edmilson anyday over Motta.

11. tiemyshoey

tiemyshoey New Member

Sep 3, 2006
    I would go with Iniesta over Xavi just because he's been full of magic lately, which we need. Hopefully, as Lucho said, the team scores early. If they spend too much time stroking the ball around without attacking, I fear Werder will get one in and then drop back behind the ball since all they need is a draw.

Also, because of the size of the Bremen players, we're going to need to keep possession and concede as few corners as possible, since they're literally a head and shoulders above us on set pieces.

Grrr, the problem is that I really respect Diego and Klose, and there's a sort of niggling, worrisome corner of my brain that says this Werder team deserves to go on in the Champs League because it's their moment... Then again, I suppose justice has little to do with it, since the likes of this season's Milan and Valencia are also scratching into the next round. I just hope that whatever happens, Barca plays like Barca.

Iniesta's a fan of yours? Man, you must really kick ass on the pitch. :p

12. malicia

malicia New Member

Sep 11, 2006
    a cold dark place
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Unfortunately, they do deserve to go through way over Milan for instance, but futbol isn't about fairness.

I've watched a few Bundesliga Werder games recently and as Lucho said, their defense isn't the best, but their offense is. In fact, they look a lot like recent Barca. Klose is a deadly finisher. Make a mistake and he will make you live to regret it.

Barca will need to get on the board early in this one.
    I'm guessing Edmilson will start.
    Rafa-Thuram anyone?

I'm nervous. :eek: Although this should be a high point after the low one this weekend, right?

13. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    its going to be a huge match, let me guess, ESPN2 wont be showing it :(

14. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm, excuse me? They happen to be putting it on their flagship "deportes" channel, which I believe is Spanish for "prime time".

:cool:

15. ronaldinh010

ronaldinh010 New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    I'll second that.

I don't think I can remember this team facing a match of this magnitude before. I can't remember us having a must-win game in the past 3 years. I don't even think Ronaldinho's been in a situation like this before. Huge game. I'm little excited to see how we react. This is a test of character.

16. ronaldinh010

ronaldinh010 New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Detroit, MI
  17. Joga Bonita

Joga Bonita New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Not really sure
    Oh man, this is the biggest match since Arsenal......I hope we win

Whats the word on Saviola anyone...?

18. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Vamos Barça! Score early, control the game, don't make any stupid mistakes in the back...
    I'm really nervous about this game...and I won't be able to see it live..

19. blanc

blanc Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Los Galácticos
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Looking forward to this game.

20. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's going to be a great match and I really like both teams.
    Damn this group of death.
    Whoever loses is going to win the UEFA Cup for sure.

21. Omideyi

Omideyi Member

Dec 13, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    we have probably the best recent home record in all of Europe, so I am fairly confident about this game. We always score at Camp Nou, so as long as we maintain concentration at the back, especially at set-pieces, things should go according to plan.

22. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
  23. tiemyshoey

tiemyshoey New Member

Sep 3, 2006
    It's to be expected from the overzealous sports press, but I wish all the sickening pressure on Ronaldinho to pull something out of his hat would stop. Rijkaard shouldn't have rested him for Levante, just subbed him out early or something. Leaving him and only him out of the squad makes it seem like he's the focal point for the Werder game, which creates a huge glaring spotlight. Not a psychologically smart move on Rijkaard's part, I think.

Anyway, I do think Ronnie will be crucial in this game, but whether he performs or not is a 50-50 thing. He could put away the game with a well-taken free kick, or do brilliant tricks all night and not make anything happen. We'll see. Or, rather, you all will see, since I'll be in class all day and probably nursing a heart attack.

24. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Of course there is immense, unreasonable pressure on Ronnie, but that's why they pay him the big bucks. If it bothered him that much, he wouldn't be where he is today. I wouldn't be too worried about him. If Werder even gives him an inch tomorrow he will make them pay dearly.

As for resting him against Levante, what would you say if Rijkaard played him and he pulled a hamstring? If you're Rijkaard you don't take that risk. Not when the biggest must-win game of the season is 3 days away.

25. Lucho-the-Legend

Nov 9, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I would have also rested Deco.