Barca threatens FIFA involvement

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Coach_McGuirk, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/030911/21/e85gg.html

Looks as if our pals in Barcelona aren't letting Cesc get away so easily.

Check me if I'm wrong here, but did Arsenal so anything illegal OR unethical in getting the kid? As I understand it, he wasn't signed to a professional contract at Barca, so he's free to move to a club that offers him a pro contract.

Is all this noise that Barca are making just trying to drum up support for themselves because Arsenal caught them asleep at the switch and got their best young player?

2. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's funny, but I've read nothing about this kid signing at arsenal.com or even soccernet.

If he wasn't under a professional contract with Barca they can't do jack. If he was with them as a youth player and training then Arsenal will have to give some sort of compensation, per FIFA rules.

3. Martyka21

Martyka21 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's just one of those kind of unwritten rules that you don't approach or try to sign a youth player from another teams youth system.

That doesn't mean you can't enquire about that player. But a player like Cesc, who's too young to have full time contract, could be signed by any club. It's bad for Barca because a hot prospect they had brought up, just leaves without any compensation. That's why it doesn't happen too often. Teams will usually avoid snatching players from other teams youth systems.

I don't know why Arsenal went after him, but I don't care either...I say sucks to be Barca...we got a future star!! Whoo hoo!!

4. juice013

juice013 New Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Toronto
    I'm excited about this kid from all that I've heard (plus he's got to be quite a prospect for his signing to be getting so much press). Personally, I think Arsenal should compensate Barca, whether they need to under the rules or not. It's not a good idea to burn any bridges, especially with a big club like Barcelona.

5. Brodo

Brodo New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Deep in Spurs territ
    Ordanairily I'd agree with you. But given Barca's recent history of unsettling our star players I say stuff 'em!

6. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    Hey we gave em Giovanni for the season, what more do they want?! ;)