Barça - Albacete [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by chrisc, Jan 30, 2004.

1. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    At one time, this fixture would be a walk in the park, but who knows these days.

Kluivert is out, while Conejito, Xavi and Iniesta are doubtful. Reiziger and Ronaldinho are also out due to suspension.

Let's see if Louis Van Rijkaard can work some magic on Sunday.

By the way, no GolTV coverage for US viewers either :(

2. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This should be called "Rijkaard's Last Stand"

He's got Garcia, Gerard, Van Bronk, Davids, Saviola (is Motta back) Gabri, Sergio, Santamaria, Valdes, Quaresma (if he's not hurt, i think he is)

3. njonkers

njonkers New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Cape Town,SA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Give us a win Barca!!!

4. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5 - 0 thrashing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sunday, February 1, 2004

Final score - Camp Nou Attendance: 49,618

Barcelona 5 - 0 Albacete

Hernandez Xavi (15)
    Javier Saviola (49)
    Ricardo Quaresma (52)
    Edgar Davids (54)
    Martinez Luis Enrique (90)

Starters
    25 Victor Valdes
    4 Rafael Marquez
    32 Presas Oleguer
    27 Hernandez Oscar Lopez
    12 Giovanni van Bronckhorst
    8 Philip Cocu
    3 Edgar Davids
    22 Sanz Luis Garcia
    20 Ricardo Quaresma
    6 Hernandez Xavi
    7 Javier Saviola

Subs
    T Motta for P Cocu (71)
    G Sergio for J Saviola (75)
    M Luis Enrique for E Davids (78)

5. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) This helps our Goal Diff.

2) we are now in 5th, 2 pts behind Ath Mad. at 34 points

3) we finally scored some freaking goals, maybe they took the cover off the opponents goal

6. mikeb3142

mikeb3142 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Pasadena CA
    saw the game...thought we looked good (should be obvious from the scoreline). I think this new formation (4-3-3) may be playing a bit more to our strengths. Luis Garcia looks serviceable out there. Saviola looked pretty good, but I think Kluivert may be better in this role.

I think the addition of Davids is huge. I dont think Laporta is stupid enough to let him go. This is a guy we need to keep around for the next few years, he has a tremendous impact on our midfield.

It was nice to see Barca play well without Ronaldinho. We really stuggled when he wasnt on the pitch earlier this year and I hope that we dont become too reliant on him like we were with Rivaldo several years ago.

Realistically, we are only two points out of that last CL spot with a lot of time left. I think we are in a very good position to make the CL next year. We arent going to win the league this year, and probably not next year either, but I do think this club is starting to get turned around. I dont know if ultimately Rijkaard is the man to do it; however, if he gets us into that 4th spot then I think he deserves to keep the job for another year and get some more of his players in here.

7. elchico

elchico Member

Dec 13, 2003
    Lebanon
    A coach who does what Rijkaard did in the cup, subbing out Ronnie, should be banned from coaching. He proved beyond doubt that he's a clueless coach.
    Our 5-0 thrashing tonight was the players doing, not the coach. He's useless. And i'm still hoping to catch up with Depor btw

8. bettendor

bettendor New Member

Sep 25, 2003
    Iowa
    It didn't hurt that we were playing a team like Albacete. However, for Rijkaard is going to need something more than just an easy thrashing of some poor team on its way back down to the Second Division next year to keep his job and keep everyone happy. Beating Real Madrid would be a good step in the right direction.

9. njonkers

njonkers New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Cape Town,SA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Very good news!!
    True Albacete is not the greatest side but 5 goals is 5 goals.
    Looks like we have our luck back.

10. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    so Neil, is raul madrid playing in South Africa?

11. njonkers

njonkers New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Cape Town,SA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Mario looks like is set for 2/3 March.
    But not yet confirmed.
    As a football fan I want to go see Zidane and Ronaldo since I'm were fan of these players before they were playing for Real Madrid.
    But the Barca fan in me don't like the idea much that my money would go to Madrid.
    So I don't know...
    Will probably never see them in action othwerwise.
    The Barca coming to South Africa was just hasty journalism it seems.

12. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    5-0 wow, can hardly believe that Barca scored 5 goals. And we played without our No. 10 Ronaldinho. Perhaps thats is our recipe to win games, we should play without him!!!! I am joking.
    Just dont forget in which place Albacete is in La Liga. It is a nice resoult, but very important games will be played against top 8 teams. Such game as this one should be and is just a formality.

13. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that's what we need. the team to perform w/out Ronnie and still win matches

14. elchico

elchico Member

Dec 13, 2003
    Lebanon
    These next 4 games will shape our identity for the rest of the season. In part I, we failed miserably in that similar stretch, lets see if our pride can be restored. If, BIG IF, we win our next 4, then I will not care anymore about the cup and will believe even more in our chances to lift the UEFA Cup. I think that with Oleguer AND Puyol at the same time, add to that Marquez, Davids, Cocu, our defence should be outstanding. and Quaresma should start the next game.

15. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, let's hope Rijkaard can pick the correct squad for these matches and we pick up points and advance deeper in the UEFA

16. njonkers

njonkers New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Cape Town,SA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yes if we can come through the next 4 jornada's with some good marks then we will be set.
    Will give the squad confidence as well.
    Looking forward to it.

17. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    I'd be happy with 8 points out of 12 of our next 4 games.

somebody mentioned the Uefa Cup, Im surprised no one realized who's in charge in Brondby, does the name Laudrup ring a bell?

18. elchico

elchico Member

Dec 13, 2003
    Lebanon
    That means a draw, a loss and 2 wins...that would be just above average, i wouldnt be too happy about it. We MUST win against depor and Valencia to proove that Barca has not lost its place among the tops. So, that leaves us with a draw and a loss against Osasuna and Atletico Madrid, which should not happen at all, so realistically speaking, 4 wins is more like it ;)

19. njonkers

njonkers New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Cape Town,SA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Ambitious elchico your prediction for the coming 4 matches.
    Laudrup hmmm the Cruyff area.Read about him in 'Barca :A people's Passion'

20. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which Laudrup is managing Brondby? Micheal or Brian?

21. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should've known.

23. elchico

elchico Member

Dec 13, 2003
    Lebanon
    guys, listen up to what just happened to me:
    I turn on CNN text page 520 and I see the following headline: " Barca boss Laporta sacks Rijkaard"
    At that moment, I almost cried from joy. And then a split second later, the "s" turned into "b" so it became " Laporta Backs Rijkaard". It turns out the text was scrambled a bit at first. Anyways, Laporta went on to say : " I believe in him, not because he has a contract, but on pure conviction".
    Yeah, that's really good news for us...

24. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess you've got the Butterfly Effect, elchico. Except it works for the future, LOL