Baptista turns down Arsenal.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ATLGunner, Jul 11, 2005.

1. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
  2. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Too bad - we've got to come up with a big one in the next month.

3. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    Once again. These reports about Baptista staying in Seville haven't appeared in either AS or Marca who are the major sports papers in Spain. The Daily Mail are lying shites because the quotes they've claimed as there own were taken directly from a El Mundo Deportivo article.

Arseblog, who leaves in Spain, confirms that their is no news about this in the Spanish.

The deal is not dead.

4. sienna

sienna Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Malaysia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Isn't El Mundo Deportivo the mouthpiece for Barcelona?

5. Arsenal_pwns_all

Arsenal_pwns_all New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Let's just put it this way: until Baptista and Sevile holds a press conference telling everyone he is not leaving I will not believe any buttocks from any buttock newspaper, and that includes the spanish newspapers (*cough Marca *cough).

"Then I will be able to gain dual nationality and become a European citizen. If I went to Arsenal now, I would not be able to."

Just doesn't make sense.

6. juice013

juice013 New Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Toronto

How does that not make sense? As soon as he was linked to Arsenal the whole Spanish citizenship issue was mentioned. You've got it all backwards. Until Baptista and Seville hold a press conference saying Baptista is leaving, you have no reason to believe anything else.

7. Grateful Gooner

Grateful Gooner New Member

May 3, 2001
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

If Chewbacca is Wookie and from the planet Kashyyk, you must acquit.

8. goonsquad

goonsquad Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing is, last time I checked, England was an EU country. So if he came to Arsenal, he might have to wait a little longer for his Euro citizenship, but I'm sure he would at least sign a 3 or 4 year deal anyway. As long as he could get an English work permit it wouldn't really matter. Unless there is something involving his eligibility for the Brazil NT that I'm not aware of, I don't see the big problem.

9. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It makes sense for Baptista to wait another year in Spain, if the aim of the game is to get an E.U. passport. Yes, the U.K. is an E.U. member, but if he came here now, he would have to start off the whole process again to apply for a British passport, which would be after 5 years. With the years that he has spent it Spain, I assume, (with his statement) that he is only a year away from applying for a Spanish one. It's obvious his main aim is just to gain an E.U.passport, he has no real desire to be Spanish, or British come to it, it's just the "economic migrant" status that he (along with many others) want to acquire in order to move around Europe and take any job, anywhere. If he achieves it in a year, rather than another five, should he ever come to Arsenal, then he will come with no problems of fulfilling the quota of national games for his "home nationality".

10. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw this in the Yahoo! Singapore soccer news section. Since no source was listed, I didn't bother posting it. As stated above, I'll wait until it is officially confirmed.

11. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazilians have an Amnesty in Spain requiring they live in Spain for 2 years before being able to acquire an EU Passport. Baptista, having been at Seville for 2 years now has probably already begun the process, and it seems to take 12-18 months to come through (I'd have to ask some immigrants to Spain).

This EU concerns is legit because unless Robinho, Adriano, and yes even Ronaldo go down and miss WCQs and the World Cup itself Baptista will not see many more caps in the next 12 months.

12. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    Way too many issues/forces working against us here to be confident.

I am very curious as to whose next? Who can we get with Baptista's ability at a similar price? I cant think of anybody.

13. GoonerMan

GoonerMan New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Essex,England
    I Think Arsene Wenger Shud Have Serious Think About Javier Saviola, Ok He Isnt Exactly Adriano But He Cud Be A Useful Player And Wud Come Very Cheap

14. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

The last player in the world I'd want Arsenal to get, who is not an established star is Dimitar Berbatov... he'd be a good fit, athletic, tall, strong, good finisher but not greedy and a very smooth touch to his game.

15. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    Uh-oh, it looks like the guy who makes you capitalise the first letter of every word may have stolen your "o's" and "l's."

16. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    Yo, tht b txt spk tru 4 real.

17. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Aaaaaaah, my day is complete. Someone made a Chewie defense reference.

Good times.

18. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN