Baptista or Essien?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Dark Savante, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey now, in his defense, he said "Their sole purpose is to deter clubs", not European governments. ;)

2. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Touche - I did not see that. (Mostly because I've no interest in Baptista at all.)

How'd you figure that?

3. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Baptista blow for Sevilla

4. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester
    Yep, myself included. I thought he was going to be a key player in Brazil's midfield for next year's WC, like Klebs was in 2002. But now he's moved to a position where he's very unlikely to get a starting place in the Brazil 11, and Brazil now have to get by with Emerson (personally, I don't really rate him)...

My vote is Essien, but I'd like to hove either. I'd LOVE to have both :D

5. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Do you want to keep a player who decides he'd rather go on strike then play for your club? Ronaldinho threatened PSG with this when they wanted to keep him and I'm sure any player who is worth something (in the world market) would do the same, if push came to shove. I'd never keep an unhappy player at my club no matter how good he was, Rio is a case I would point to, personally. If he wants out he can ******** off.

6. United Forever

Apr 16, 2004
    Barbados
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Barbados
    You should really shut your mouth when you are ahead. In that quote did you see he stated his desire to go to United. I said he stated his desire to leave. I never said a particular place. Read Achtung's link.

7. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    I don't want any midfield players from La Liga. Especially Latin Americans. SAF has no idea how to use them properly, and chances are if Batista does end up at MU, he'll be another bust. When was the last time Latin American midfielder/forward adapted in Man United?

If David Jones turns out to be what many of us expect (or should I say hope?) him to be, we'll have a great partnership for years to come in the middle: Essien and Jones. Replacing Keane and Scoles, obviously.

8. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester
    Don't overlook Arsenal in the Baptista issue, though:

http://s6.invisionfree.com/espnstar/index.php?showtopic=22866
    http://www.squarefootball.net/article/article.asp?aid=2083
    http://www.football.co.uk/transfer_gossip/story_12135.shtml
    http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/fo/arsenal/

Wenger's Arsenal Plan :rolleyes:

Hleb isn't the end of Arsenal this summer...

9. AFCfan4ever

AFCfan4ever New Member

May 8, 2005
    Collins, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope and Wenger is a known admirer, I could easily see him making a move for Baptista...esp. with Reyes there. Everyone thinks we're in for Robinho but I'm starting to believe it's a smokescreen to get Baptista, Wenger was speaking in Germany the other day and he talked about being interested in a Brazilian that was on the bench and basically he just hinted that it was Baptista. Who knows at this point though, Sevilla will probably hold out for a crazy fee.

10. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    lol, great stuff on so many levels :rolleyes: please supply me with numbers of how many players we have signed from La Liga in Fergie's reign... Especially 6'4 tanks..

At least this is a fair arguement.

11. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    I thought that too. :(

12. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    And why do you think Fergie has never been interested in buying any La Liga players? Surely there's been quite a few quality players over the past 19 years from La Liga that dreamed about playing for Man United. You are not sure? Hint: read my previous message again. :)
    Players from La Liga generally don't succeed in Premiership. And unless our management plans to hire Spanish manager after Fergie (ala Benitez), I don't think it's a good idea.
    Plus, the whole thing about Latin American midfielders and forwards. Seriously, how many Klebersons, Verons and Forlans do you need to realize that they don't adapt well and Fergie doesn't really know how to get the most out of them?

EDIT: I think it's pretty obvious I want no part of Robinho in our club. :rolleyes:

13. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Because the best ones wont come. Raul was highly coveted by M.U for years even Keane said he'd love him at the club. We knew we couldn't get him. And if you think there was any manager in the world who didn't want pre-injury Ronaldo then you're crazy. In recent times we have tried repeatedly for Joaquin and Torres and have sniffed around Vicente on and off for 3years..we wanted Figo but he went to Real..and so it goes on..

Not of the quality we aspire to so that doesn't matter. It is only recently (and it is a very pleasant surprise) that 2 higher quality players Andrade&Baptista have come out and said they want to play here..we'll have to see where that goes.

Enlighten me.

Hum... you might wanna check that.. besides which what is your definition of success?

It is only recently that there has been an influx of La Liga players to the EPL and it will only be in a few years time where we will know if they succeed or not...

Because ex La Liga players are incapable of playing for non Spanish managers?

Fergie didn't scout Kleberson or Forlan. Veron wasn't given the chance to command the midfield .

14. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    PLease Kleberson played well at times when he got a chance and when he wasnt injured.

I dont like the excuse latin players cant make it in the Prem. they can if they want to. Simple as that. Xabi Alonso, Fernando morientes, and Luis Garca are living proof.

15. listen_up_fergie

listen_up_fergie New Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Montreal
    You know, considering that so far only Kleberson, Forlan and Veron fit into the category of Latin American midfielder/forwards who have failed to adapt to Man United, it would hardly be a justification of not signing anymore Latin Americans in those positions. It's a typical oversimplification - you need to look at reasons why the above players have failed to adapt to the Premiership. Kleberson's injuries have definitely hampered his efforts to settle in, and in his case he lacks physical strength (Baptista has this in abundance). Forlan is just a case of a player who needed time and games to reach his peak, and it couldn't happen at United because well, there was far more pressure on him to score goals than there was at Villareal. Veron didn't fit in because he has a low work rate, and in the Premiership a central midfielder with a low work rate is rarely successful given the fast-paced, end-to-end nature of English football. It would be silly to believe that just because these three South Americans have failed at United (so far, in the case of Klebs) that any other South American player would fail.

16. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, and it'd be really bad news for us if Arsenal sold Vieira and replaced him with Baptista (in addition to Hleb), Chelsea got Essien and brought back Crespo, while we sat around hoping and praying that Keane could get through another season without either injury or noticeable fatigue. I'm happy with what we've done so far in obtaining van der Sar and Park, but its not going to be enough for that push in the league and Europe.

17. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester
    Yeah, just think of how many Englishmen have failed at United and other clubs. Does this mean they shouldn't be bought? :D

18. listen_up_fergie

Mar 3, 2005
    Montreal
    It's a scary thought...Arsenal getting 20m for Vieira and then using the money to land Baptista. That's why we need to move quick, because so long as Arsenal are still in the auction for Robinho, and Vieira is still biking around North London with his baguettes, they might not be able to launch an immediate bid for Baptista. If Arsenal go for Baptista, I think they would do it not as an effort to replace Vieira, but instead to add another striker to their ranks.

19. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal--they're like Real Madrid, but without the taxpayer money. ;)

20. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Well, I dont want any more posters with 6 characters in their names... I mean, u come here and spew this crap, last week we had to deal with 3lions and ManTex or whatever... we should never allow another poster with 6 letters in their name, they have not been sucessful recently so we should not bother with them or even attempt to see if they can prove their worth.

Do you see how stupid that sounds?

21. listen_up_fergie

Mar 3, 2005
    Montreal
    If it wasn't for Heinze, he'd probably be saying that we shouldn't sign any Latin American players whatsoever.
    And after Cruyff failed to make an impact, he would've probably been against signing Stam or Van Nistelrooy... :rolleyes:

22. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester
    Both Sitati and Kituyi are 6 characters long :(

23. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Actually, where is the both option in this poll?

24. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    For 19 years there hasn't been a single quality player that wanted to come to Man United from La Liga? Ri-i-ight. Fergie just never thought he needed any La Liga players. And he thought that the players from La Liga would struggle to adapt.
    As far as Ronaldo - well, he's an exception to the rule. His selfishness would probably have allowed him to succeed in any club.

Mostly due to the fact that Benitez took over as a head coach at Liverpool. And he knows how to play his Spaniards. Reyes has not been able to establish himself and played poor compared to his La Liga days. Fabregas got to Arsenal when he was 16, so he never actually played in La Liga.

And what is your point? The fact that Fergie bought Veron without any idea whatsoever how to use him in the midfield? Coincidence or not, they've all struggled (to say the least) in MU, while they were extremely successful playing for other clubs. And yes, strangely enough, they are all Latin Americans. They just couldn't adapt to Fergie's style. So why would the 4th Latin American player be an excepton?

OK, so if Beckham takes 1 penalty and misses, then takes another penalty and misses; then takes the third one and misses it as well (all misses for different reasons - bad ball, bad field condition, etc.), should he keep taking the penatlies if there are other players around him that don't choke in these situations?
    The whole topic is based on a choice. My argument is that (besides the fact that I think Essien is a better player) Baptista has a really good chance of not living up to expectations. And yes, I am basing it on the fact that the previous major purchases of midfield/forward Latin Americans just didn't work out. So far Manchester United is 0-for-3 in those deals.
    Am I oversimplyfying things? Well, maybe. But come on, Fergie is not stupid. You're saying Veron didn't fit in because he had a low work rate. Ha! Well, if he did, why the hell did Fergie decide to bring him in? I'm sure Fergie knows about the whole work rate and "end-to-end nature of English football". So was it a brain cramp? I'm sure if Baptista joins MU and fails, in 3-4 years we'll be able to find another explanation as to why he failed. I just don't think it's worth trying. Especially, considering Essien is on the market.

25. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    Yes, I actually do see how stupid that ^^ sounds. :rolleyes: