Baptista a Gunner!!!!

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by TxTechGooner, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    In short, we will be fielding Thierry Henry and a player nicknamed The Beast next season!

Maybe this will give Rio something to cry about for real this time :p

2. elknco1

elknco1 Member

Aug 20, 2004
    which games did baptista play in in the confed cup?

3. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes

Do my eyes deceive me???

MORE phishy backlash?

4. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    Baptista will be a gunner within two days I believe. Goal.com reports we upped the bid to 15mil. Baptista wants to be a gunner. This is just like the Hleb deal in every way.

Adding a stud young striker with the Beasts Speed, Immense size and strength, and clinical finishing ability with Hleb's creativity and flair.

But one question, do we have enough depth at the back? Campbell is very injury prone, and Toure and Cygan cant play together. Add to that Eboue and Toure's absence during the Africans cup.

I am slightly worried. I would love to pick up a Distin to add depth.

Also, what happens if Gilberto is injured again? Without him we are done. Maybe the Beast can cover some at the DMC?

These are slight worries however, and I believe adding teh Beast should make Chelsea very nervous.

5. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    I wonder if we can paypal them the money

6. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toure+Cygan=Disaster, Senderos+Cygan=? Who knows?

7. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004
    In regards to the Juve Vieira rumors that have popped up..

Curiously, can Baptista be a direct replacement for Vieira?

8. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't really see the need for Baptista. In the second/support striker role we have Bergkamp, Van Persie (who played very well towards the end of last season IMO) and Reyes already. Added to that, by all reports Hleb is probably at his most comfortable there. Bentley would like to play there also (although sadly I think his Highbury days are numbered) and it looks like we are overloaded with players in that position. Admittedly Reyes and Hleb can cover the wing positions for Fred and Bob, but a decent centre-back would be nice so we never have to see Cygan outside of the Carling Cup again and a goalie that doesn't flap at everything would be good too. If you're going to buy big in the attack, do it properly and get Shaun Wright-Phillips!

9. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

10. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Hey he got me all excited only to dissapoint in the end. What do you expect? :p

11. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    No, they will only accept a direct transfer to their pokerstars account.

12. GoonerMan

GoonerMan New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Essex,England

i can see where ur coming from but i can see pires leaving this summer, bergkamop will be gone next summer and i dont think bently has too long left as an arsenal fc player so i dont see this as overloading . saying that tho i do agree that we need another centre back

13. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    Baptista is a better player than shaun wright phillips... and for half the cost!
    got to love that english lustre price.

14. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    the real question has to be...

will there be room for...

Henry, Baptista, Pires, Hleb, Freddie and Reyes? of course not... so you will have some unhappy players... if u play Gilberto and Vieira in CM then u've only got room for 4 out of those six, and I've not even mentioned Van P_ssy ;) or Bergkamp... you will have depth true, but like someone mentioned, lots of depth at withdrawn positions mainly.

15. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    OK, here's where you've lost me. Baptista and SWP don't play the same position and are not even remotely comparable except fro goals scored. SWP's out on the wing, creating, and Baptista' poaching.

So, again, I just don't see the comparison. Sorry, phishy...

16. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    michaec said if we want to bolster the offense (im paraphrasing), that we should throw the dosh at swp.

Baptista is hardly a "poacher". he is a good all around player who plays striker. Baptista, imo will have a bigger impact than swp would with the arsenal.

17. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    They spoke the international language of football....that is all that really matters, right?

18. rifkin

rifkin Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A spanish speaker and a portuguese speaker wouldn't have too much trouble communicating. I've seen my wife have numerous conversations with Brazilians and they start speaking some hybrid of the 2 that seems to work just fine.

19. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Amen. I have listened to Serie A matches via the Net in Italian and also seen Brazilian movies in Portuguese AND I am able to speak Spanish. I'm not saying they are the same, but there are similiarities.

20. Grateful Gooner

Grateful Gooner New Member

May 3, 2001
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

"You know, the international language... LOVE!"

21. goonsquad

goonsquad Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, I speak French (far from fluently at that) and there is a lot of Portuguese, Spanish, and even Italian that I can understand. All of these languages have common roots, and Portuguese and Spanish are probably the most similar to each other.

22. Joel Kennedy

Joel Kennedy New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    ATL
    very true. i was talking with a girl yesterday from mexico city ... she said she can understand italian better than portuguese ... but is functional in both ... and some french (meaning she can understand quite a bit of italian, portuguese and french ... just having grown up in mexico city.

23. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    Unfortunately I spoke too soon. Reportedly another British team has matched our bid for Baptista (Pool, Chelsea, or Toon?) while another report has Sevilla rejecting 15mil, and that they also believe we spoke to Baptista illegaly. All this is conjecture from all different places, but I am all the sudden very nervouse. Get it done Arsene!

24. GoonerMan

GoonerMan New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Essex,England
    probably chelsea they love to stick there blue nose in to everything i wudnt be surprised if it them

25. Flash2

Flash2 New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    England
    This deal is really dragging on, it would suck to miss out on a player like Baptista, c'mon Wenger and Dein get this finished.