Baptista a Gunner!!!!

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by TxTechGooner, Jul 6, 2005.

1. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    I completely agree with all of this.. including the lineup.

2. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the Ruud comparison was a bit off but as far as target man description-that hits the nail on the head-literally since we have no one that adds to our aerial attack as of now.......

I was watching The Untouchables DVD last night and it was almost comical-everytime we scored on a header, the goal scorer would run around tapping his head to let everyone know that it was a header! :D ;)

3. NitrousOxide

NitrousOxide New Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Serravale San Marino
    Does he have an EU passport ?? From what i know he has played only a few games for Brazil as a sub so how would he get a work permit ???

4. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If he does not meet the automatic criteria for a work permit, the club can still appeal based on the fact that he has played in and contributed to another league in the EU. The onus is then on Arsenal to prove that he will add something to the league here. As far as I know, this kind of argument was used in Man Utd's recent signing of Park from PSV as he had played there for a couple of years and they contended that he would improve the level of competition here.

5. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
    He was a Brazilian Youth International central defender and even began his career in Spain as a central defender. so on on an odd day where we are really short at the back or up against a team with a lot of aerial menace he might come on the last quarter-hour at the back to shore us up there late. That was my point there. Just as Wenger out of need might drop Gilberto or even Vieira back into central defence he could well do so with Baptista whose experience playing there makes it less of a gamble...

6. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    spot on... also, the wp appeals almost always swing in favor of the big clubs simply because they dont often go after marginal players... what's the chance that ManU/Arse/Chelsea are going to go to extreme lengths to bring in a player who contributes little or nothing?

7. juice013

juice013 New Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Toronto
    It doesn't sound like he's played back there for a long time, and it was against kids. You won't see him back there.

8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He'd actually be much better served (Wenger that is) employing Vieira in a deep holding role with Gilberto and Baptista closing down players in midfield... Baptista is an explosive player, its his strength, but also his weakness... he's not played CB in a long time and of late he's been used mostly in the manner Rooney is played - playing him as a defensive midfielder might be considered a mistake, playing him as a defender would be silly. That said, I do see your point, but u've got Sol, Toure, Senderos and Cygan - they are all alot better and more experienced in the backline than Baptista.

9. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Lol, id rather put wenger himself on the pitch instead of cygan.

10. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Maybe bringing Baptista to AFC will appease fans and more importantly Jose Reyes.....they were teammates. Wonder how close they were? I'm sure Reyes is home sick for Spain.

11. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
    He would be an EMERGENCY defender only - "all hands to the pumps" time and all that. I don't ever see him starting there but up a goal late I think Wenger could push him back in there or bring him on back there if he had to. I think that is a part of the attraction to Wenger. He is in effect buying at least two even three players with one signing. Wenger loves this. If you look at our out-field players right now - including Hleb and Baptista if he joins us, only Henry, Denis, VanPersie,Vieira, Campbell, Cygan and Senderos really are single-position players:

Cole: Left-Back or Defensive Left Wing
    Clichy: Left-Back or Emergency LeftWing
    Toure:Centre-Half, Right-Back, Emergency Right Wing /Central Mid-field
    Lauren: Right-Back , Right Wing, Emergency Central Mid-field
    Eboue: Right-Back or Centre-Half
    Hoyte: Right-Back or Emergency Centre-Half
    Pires: Left Wing, Right Wing, In The Hole, Emergency Central Mid-fielder
    Reyes: Left Wing, Cover For Henry at Striker, Emergency Right Wing
    Gilberto: Central Mid-Field, Emergency Centre-Half
    Freddie: Right Wing, Left Wing, Emergency Striker
    Cesc: Central Mid-Field, Emergency Right Wing(maybe more regularly too)
    Hleb: Left Wing or Right Wing, Central Mid-Field, In the Hole
    Flamini: Central Mid-field, Left or Right Defensive Winger
    Quincy: Left Wing or Striker
    Bentley: Right Wing, In The Hole, or Striker.

And that's on top of having in Henry the World's Best All-Around Striker and in Vieira when healthy the World's Most Versatile Box-to-Box Central Mid-Fielder(also the worst shooter among the candidates).

Add Baptista: Striker, In The Hole, Central Mid-Field, Emrgency Centre-Half

With the added dimensions and depth if we stay healthy we become clearly the team to beat in England for my money(or at least Chelsea isn't so clearly in the betting houses)and a serious threat to win the European Cup as well...

12. deeplennon

deeplennon Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Seattle
    They were only teamates for about 6 months unfortunately.. So it's debatable if Baptista even spoke much Spanish then.

13. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will not say most....but don't quite a few Brazilians speak Spanish as well as Portugese?

14. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    6 months is plenty for a Brazilian to speak Spanish proficiently especially if he is living in Spain.

15. goonsquad

goonsquad Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well considering Drogba... :D

16. deeplennon

deeplennon Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Seattle
    Maybe, but you'd think the ones that do aren't playing football in the barrios.

17. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence

Why not?

18. Flash2

Flash2 New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    England
  19. deeplennon

deeplennon Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Seattle
    Nothing that has anything to do with this topic.

20. AFCfan4ever

AFCfan4ever New Member

May 8, 2005
    Collins, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These quotes were especially interesting...

Even del Nido is resigned to losing Bap now, only a matter of time until he's at Highbury.

21. Flash2

Flash2 New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    England
    Lets hope so.

22. El Guero Naco

El Guero Naco New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Actually, playing overseas helps them learn. With the number of foreigners on each team, it's like a disease that spreads.

Look at the Brazilian teams. Although their Spanish isn't great and is still heavy on the Brazilian accent, they can at least speak it. Pretty cool if you ask me.

23. AFCfan4ever

AFCfan4ever New Member

May 8, 2005
    Collins, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this is from The Sun but it's still very encouraging...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2005310202,00.html

JULIO BAPTISTA says he cannot wait to sign for Arsenal as Seville finally admitted they can no longer hang on to him.

The fearsome Brazil striker is on the brink of a £10million move after the Gunners raised their offer this week.

And the man known as The Beast insists no other player in the world has his qualities in front of goal.

Baptista, 23, said: “Brazil coach Carlos Alberto Parreira says there aren’t many players like me, with such strength and technique — and I agree.”

The player has refused to sign a new contract after two years with Seville and is looking to treble his wages with a £35,000-a-week contract at Arsenal.

He said: “The Premiership is a good league and I’m lucky that the top clubs are interested in me.

“The interest from Arsenal has advanced the most and they have been informed of my situation at Seville.”

Baptista even claimed he had met Gunners boss Arsène Wenger in Sao Paolo this week and said: “We spoke about football.

“Wenger wanted to get to know me as a person and he talked to me about Arsenal and his team.

“My agent has told me that the Premiership is the richest league in the world because the broadcasting rights fetch a lot of money. So that should make the deal easier.

“I always watch the English matches on TV and enjoy the style of play so I’m not afraid of changing leagues. A good player can play in any league in the world and I consider myself to be a good player.

“I know talks are going on but I am calm. There are certain matters which are not down to me and I hope they can be resolved.”

Highbury chief Wenger watched Baptista help Brazil win the Confederations Cup last week and is keen to tie up the deal before the team go to Austria for pre-season training.

Seville know they risk losing their star striker for a minimal £500,000 next year and are now resigned to selling Baptista to Arsenal.

Coach Juande Ramos last night admitted: “Baptista is an important player for us but there is a problem and we know he could leave us for little next year.

“If we are in a position of getting much more money for him this year, then we have to look at that option.”

The player has been further recommended by Arsenal’s former Seville star Jose Reyes and Baptista admitted: “I spoke to Jose a while ago.

“He recommended me to Arsenal and spoke highly of me. It would be beautiful to repeat in England what we did together in Seville.”

24. deeplennon

deeplennon Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Seattle
    It'd be pretty bold of the sun to fake an interview, so I'd say that's pretty encouraging.

They probably got the interview and translated it from Marca or somewhere similar.

25. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Yes, this really needed its own thread. :rolleyes:

*Moves on*