Banner removed after City success

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by acleansheet, May 17, 2011.

1. acleansheet

acleansheet New Member

Nov 29, 2006
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. thecitizen

thecitizen Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a friend who is a united fan and he told me the fa cup was for chumps.

I just told him "spoken like a true united fan. when united wins the fa cup its suddenly relevant and when someone else wins...its for chumps."

United is going to justify their greatness any way they can. They are afraid and they should be. We are finally playing their game. (aka getting a monopoly on talent)

It makes me feel great to shut up all the people who said "money can't buy trophies" and "you can't buy heart."

It just did. Its as if people will never admit that the great teams are only great because they CAN buy all the best players.

United bought trophies... so will we. :D

3. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am fascinated by the way Man U fans, who used to rush for opportunities to patronize City and its fans, have suddenly tried to become purists insisting they "did it the right way". The "Cups for Cockups" era at City was something a lot of Rags apparently found deeply reassuring, and they're clearly not happy to have to let go of it.

4. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    The FA Cup is probably one of the oldest foorball cup competitions in all of Europe. How many legends of soccer pour their hearts over it? Give me a freakin break. Those who say it is for chumps are either ignorant or just plain bitter that their team didn't win it.

Whatever, let them bitch about it. Unlike United fans, City fans aren't ignorant and bitter. In fact, I will give the rags full credit for winning their 19th league title. If you think about it, Fergie is quite the legend going from 7 to 19 in less than 2 decades, trumping Liverpool's 18. Let's acknowledge that.

I believe our time to win league titles consistently has come. We've got to be yearning for greater accomplishments. I believe the FA Cup is important, however, I will be honest and say that if we don't have a big enough squad next season, we focus on League Title and Champions League. Let our reserves play the cup competitions and only have our top tier players jump in once we are deep in the cup run.

5. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Real Madrid didn't seem at all happy winning the kings cup this year instead of their world class rival. I mean they hated it so much they ran it over with a bus.

6. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also if scum would've of beat us and then won the fa cup. Then next week won the cl... I guess because the fa cup is worthless... It would only be a double

7. 'appy Addick

'appy Addick New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Portsmouth
    Club:
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

United fans forget that it was the FA Cup that saved SAF from the sack way back. He was 90 minutes from the heave-ho, having spent four years at Old Trafford without winning anythg.... bloody hell, back then, Charlton used to beat United..!! We did them two years running when we played them at Selhurst Park under Lennie Lawrence.

In fact, it was Charlton winning 1 - 0 at Old Trafford at the start of the season that did for Ron Atkinson. He was sacked after losing that game and Ferguson came in. Sorry lads... it's all our fault..!!

And so it was, that the third round FA Cup tie at Nottingham Forest in January 1990 would have been Fergies last stand but for a Mark Robins goal that took United through to the next round. They went on to beat Crystal Palace (hock..... spit...) in a replay to win the cup. Didn't hear them complain about that, did you..? Even then, it was another three or four years after that FA Cup win before United went on to win their first league title since '67.

So, Ferguson's record at Old Trafford wasn't exactly glowing at first, was it..? But they got there. Fair play to them for that, but If Manyoo want to play down the success of Roberto Mancini, in his first full season as City boss, then I'd retort that Mancini won the trophy in a quarter of the time it took SAF to win it.

I think United fans fear the rise of City. Their fans are getting pretty nervous about City taking the Premier League title. Of course, when (not if... when) you do, they will give it all the "Oh, only your third ever championship". Of course they will.

But in football you're only as good as your last result. And their next game is against Barcelona.

8. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks 'appy for the bit of history. I'd rep you if I could.

9. 'appy Addick

'appy Addick New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Portsmouth
    Club:
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

You're welcome, mate.

As a kid, I wasn't what you'd call a "Cockney Blue"... I am, and always have been a Charlton supporter, but as a kid, City were my "second team" and whenever they played in London I'd do all I could to get to see them. Why Manchester City..? I first saw them at the Valley in their promotion season of 1965/66 and I liked the shirts..!! Also, there were a lot of kids at school who said they were Manyoo fans and I decided that if having a "second team" to support was allowed, well, I was going to buck the trend and have City as mine.

It's great when you're a kid, innit..? :D

Even since the great team under Joe Mercer broke up, I've still taken an interest and followed results and talked the team up in convos..... taking a lot of cr*p from Manyoo fans along the way, but I've not minded that. I've had a soft spot for City all my life and I'm bloody glad the good times are coming for you lads again.

Yours in football, lads. Regards, best wishes and respect.

10. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    United have replaced it with a "19" banner to educate us on how many touches of the ball they had against Barca. :D:D:D

1 person likes this.
  11. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was a reminder/ motivator for jonny evans of how many years in prison he should be serving.

12. ML-less

ML-less New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's probably just a running tally of how many times Raphael has gone off injured.

13. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Shocking turnout for their parade, the motorway down from Kent and flights from Dublin must have been blocked or something.

Via BBC:

Before...

Sky Sports News, aka United's cheerleader channel, cracked me up earlier when they said "United fans have turned up in their hundreds."

Oh and a bit of YouTube lulz.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qipZOyiHato&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - ‪The REAL Manchester fans Trophy Parade‬‏[/ame]

[​IMG]

14. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The glory hunters of the world can never be happy with a season that brings united as many major trophies as their noisy neighbors

15. 'appy Addick

'appy Addick New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Portsmouth
    Club:
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

And Ryan Giggs finally got his Super Injunction.... the Barcelona defence made him completely anonymous for 90 minutes.

16. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haha well said