Baltimore (Towson)

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by TheScarfMachine, Jun 13, 2008.

1. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just moved to the area, and I'm trying to find out where all the USMNT supporters gather in the greater Baltimore area?

2. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slainte in Fells Point is the area footy bar. But I find for the most part other than Prem matches or WC, you don't get much of a turnout.

3. BaltimoreYankFan

BaltimoreYankFan New Member

Nov 11, 2001
    Towson, MD
    Welcome to the area. Slainte would be the place. You do find some Euros from time to time watching football at James Joyce at Harbor East. There is no real cohesive group of lads watching the US play. You could literally find casual US supporters at any pub in Baltimore, but the hardcore supporter is usually at Slainte or perhaps James Joyce. In Towson, you might find some US supporters watching a game at Greene Turtle, Batemans, or the Crease, when the university is in full session. Other than that I am not too sure about Towson.

By the way, anyone watching the match this Sunday? I think it is the same time as Euro matchup.

4. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like your signature BaltimoreYankFan. It would be an awesome venue, easy to get to by train, plane; downtown with lots of hotels. I guess RFK gets the nod because of DC United, but seems like M&T is a no-brainer to me.

5. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, I'm unable to watch the game Sunday. But I am interested in forming a 'cohesive group of lads' to watch the Yanks... A "Baltimore Brigade", if you will. Do you think there's enough interest out there?

6. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the thing to shoot for is a Baltimore Batt. tailgate party at the WC qualifyer, RFK Stadium this October. If we have to meet-up for a qualifyer veiwing as we get closer to then, my arm can be twisted.

7. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps we could organize a car-pooling convoy down to RFK on October 11th?

8. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The next qualifier viewing is August 20th for the US v. Guatamala game. Shall we meet up at a certain pub in Baltimore to watch?

9. BaltimoreYankFan

Nov 11, 2001
    Towson, MD
    Count me in for both - watch the next qualifier at a pub (probably Slainte or JJ) on 20 August and then we should get a huge group of Baltimoreans to head down to DC on the 11th of October.

10. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just playing around yesterday when I was supposed to be working. I don't like the way the snakes look... Thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How do we go about starting a Baltimore or Maryland brigade? Is there anyone at Sam's Army we should contact? Are we stepping on anyones toes here?

11. BaltimoreYankFan

Nov 11, 2001
    Towson, MD
    I'm in for a Maryland Brigade or even a Baltimore/Charm City Brigade. Anyone else?

Baltimore City Flag:

[​IMG]

12. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like it's just you and I. Oh well, we can recruit at the US v. Guacamole game.

13. ewheatley

ewheatley Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just stumbled across the topic. I'd love to meet up sometime and take in a game. I live in Lutherville, and have had limited success finding a supportive bar in the area. If by chance you get a friendly bartender, and no other "real" sports are on like golf, or NASCAR, then maybe they'll turn on the game. Three deep might have a little influence though.

[​IMG]

14. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets plan on meeting up at Slainte in Fells Point for the USMNT team qualifying game against Guacamole.

It's scheduled for Wednesday, August 20th at 10:00pm on ESPN2. I'm for meeting up at, say, 8:00pm? Have a couple pints, and secure some prime seats in front of the television?

15. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys seem to have some good artistry skills. I am up for chipping in on some kind of banner or flag to hang at gatherings or that can be passed around to any B-more crew attending matches. Does anyone know how to get a decent banner/flag made?

As for the Maryland or Baltimore Brigade thing; there is a group in Frederick MD that is pretty active, so they may be less inclined to have the Maryland thing happening without them.

In my mind's eye I was always thinking of a some big-blocked blanket phrase with Baltimore Brigade or some such thing underneath. Like

YANK ARMY!
    Baltimore Brigade

16. BaltimoreYankFan

Nov 11, 2001
    Towson, MD
    I would be in for the Slainte. For the U-23's in the Olympics, I will have to watch from home due to the timing/work.

17. shadowmwo

shadowmwo Member

Feb 14, 2008
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure. Does anyone live near Loyola? I'm right on the Balimore county / city line. I'm kinda in towson. Hehe , I'm like the only one here that actully plays soccer or where soccer jereys around here.

18. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the only game that we could possibly meet up for would be US v. Holland, and that's at 2am on Saturday... By then, most bars would be closing anyway, and I'd be too drunk to stand.

19. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm all for this, and would chip in a couple bones as well. Sounds like we have some things to discuss on the 20th.

I'd like to get a big Baltimore flag with the US soccer snake/ball logo in the middle, like in the three amigeos picture above.

20. ewheatley

ewheatley Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here it is.

Sadly though, I will be out of town on the 20th, going to Maine with the family. Count me in on for the next match though.

[​IMG]

21. Get-Robbed

Get-Robbed New Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Frederick MD
    Club:
    --other--
    Whats up fellas, I live in near by Frederick, Im in! Let me know the details!

22. Get-Robbed

Get-Robbed New Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Frederick MD
    Club:
    --other--
    Sweet my family is from Maine as well, Kittery to be exact. Just so you know I have a friend that has a t-shirt/flag print machine in his garage... plus he is a huge soccer fan.

23. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome! Repped.

What do you think of including a reference the Francis Scott Key in there? Afterall, this is Baltimore, home of the Star Spangled Banner. Perhaps something like, "O, say does that star spangled banner yet wave"?

Do you have any thoughts on making the "Baltimore Brigade" text bigger, so that it makes up the top part of the flag? I'm worried one wouldn't be able to read it from any sort of distance. What do you all think?

24. ewheatley

ewheatley Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought about trying to include some kind of reference to Fort McHenry in there, but honestly I just do not have time right now to research. I'm about to go to Chicago for a few days for work, plus I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel, and then off to Maine. :eek:

So, post your suggestions, and I'll redesign to our hearts content...

Any idea if the McHenry defenders had a nickname??

25. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See you all at Slaintes tonight. Be there, or be square!