Ballot Questions 1 and 2 passed, Did you vote?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Matt in the Hat, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The open space preservation and hazardous site cleanup referenda passed by overwhelming majorities, clearing the way for cleanup and developmen of a large patch of land in Harrison NJ.

This is a great day for the state, but an even beter day for the Metros. Who participated?

2. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what's left? The bond vote by the council? That should be coming very soon. Is that the final hurdle?

3. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY

I thought that was already done, I thought the last thing had to do with Metros and the developer of the project.

4. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that this may have been the hurdle for the bonds. No use putting up a stadium in a toxic waste site. Now that the clean up is approved, there is no reason for any more hold up

5. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted, but no such petitions were in my ballot...I guess i am from the "wrong" district....Anyway, a question: Does the fact that the Dems have pretty much taken over most of the state's political bodies help in getting approval for the stadium more quickly ? or perhaps pass stuff without even more annoying objections, delays?

6. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    everyone we need on our side got re-elected. Wh should be okay

PS, the measures should have been on your ballot. They were state wide questions.

7. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weird, maybe it had to do with lack of attention and the fact that it was the first time i voted the "traditional" way (after registring three different ocassions and never being on the list), having always voted with porvisional ballots

8. bourque312

bourque312 Red Card

Oct 16, 2003
    I voted, but had no idea it would effect the Harrison project in Anyway. Those referendums are so open ended its often hard to understand what the hell theyre supposed to do.

9. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ref #2 has nothing to do with Metro because the cleanup remediation has already been determined for the site.

10. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    obie,

Since you are the resident NJ political pundit on this board, may I ask you your take on the Democratic victory in the NJ Legislature?

Articles refer to a massive amount of money influencing the election. Do you think Uncle Phil was involved?

And how did the friends and foes of Harrison make out? Likewise for friends/foes of the proposed Newark arena?

cheers,
    Norm

11. zonker

zonker New Member

May 27, 2003
    I voted for both of those, but had no idea that they were related to the stadium. Even so, woo-hoo!

12. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Metro? Doesn't matter. State money is off the table and I don't think anyone has the stomach to go back and ask for it again. The financing from Harrison and the HCIA is in place now, and to go back and ask for state money will just delay things further.
    Harrison overwhelmingly re-elected the same pro-Metro people who were on town council before: news story here. It's business as usual for Harrison and for the stadium.

I don't think anything changed politically in Newark either, but the Newark arena deal is pretty much dead. Both the Nets and Devils are eventually going to be sold and move.

13. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When did that happen. Did they pick an EPA consultant yet?

14. jack921

jack921 New Member

Jul 10, 2000
    I doubt he gave money to Democrats.

15. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    I voted for the first two myself. They had it in Bergen County. So I helped the cause in passing Both ballot questions.

16. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They determined years ago which companies were responsible for which percentages of the site cleanup costs. (If they hadn't, there's no way that the development project would have gotten this far.) Ref #2 doesn't absolve them from their liabilities.