Ballon d'Or Dream Team (2020)

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by PuckVanHeel, Oct 5, 2020.

1. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Since the 40s, mexican league attracted interest for foreign players being well played. If you liked, a sort of "El Dorado" not for being a pirate league, but for the amount of foreign players in its league.

From mid 1940s to mid 1950s, there was its first golden era, with an average of 3 foreign players for club (many internationals players, most NT-B level, but some were top level).

If SA leagues in the past are a mystery for Europe, much more is the case for mexican league.

For SA eyes, before the 90s Mexico has a low-profile, especially for his NT, since its league was in the pherifery of elite football. But, some tours made for SA clubs, show that some mexican clubs were decent at least, Also showed in the Interamericana Cup played in the 1970s

But its league enjoyed 3 golden eras:
    * Mid 1940s - mid 50s: Based in mid-level SA players signed + some spanish
    * 1970s: Based in mid to high level SA players signed.
    * 1990s: Based in mid level SA players signed + good base local pool.

Gregoriak and peterhrt repped this.
  2. peterhrt

peterhrt Member+

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    In the 1964 Ballon d'Or Jean Nicolay was one of nine players to receive a First Place vote. Yashin also received one. Nicolay was 13th and Yashin 8th. No other goalkeeper featured.

Wasn't Rie Meert of Anderlecht quite highly rated too in the 1940s and 1950s?

3. KS10

KS10 New Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Maradona's dribbling peak (proficiency-wise) came in the mid 80s. He had retained almost all of his speed and agility from his injury but improved his strength tenfold. He adjusted his game and prolonged his career (as he was wary of injury) by improving his link-up play and dribbling in spurts, however frequency should not be confused with proficiency. When he had the mentality of a dribbler (e.g. at the 86 World Cup), you can see his improved dribbling

In this game in 85 vs Venezuela, he completed about 15 take-ons

In this game vs Colombia, he completed over a dozen

4. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Think the opinions differed on Meert and he's hurt by always playing for a quite good team. Piot, Pfaff and Preud'homme all showed their merit/heroics for less good club teams, and have the video material as lasting evidence (as well as foreign recognition, although this is as mentioned less the case for Piot). Van Himst regarded Meert however as the best keeper he has seen for his club.

peterhrt repped this.
  5. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Same for Pfaff his first cap in 1976. The euro 76 quarter final with the wonder goal. He memorized it today.

Show Spoiler

I would have loved to play in the Netherlands. I mean that from the bottom of my heart. I could go to Ajax, after Heinz Stuy. To AZ, for Eddy Treijtel. I could also go to Feyenoord, and to FC Twente. But Beveren always asked too much money. In the end, there was only one club willing to pay for it. I was already 29 when I went to Bayern Munich. That's why I never started walking next to my shoes. When Johan Cruijff came to me, he said: “In you I see a boy like me”. Very nice. Cruijff had a much bigger career than I did, but he almost always remained himself. A very normal and self-critical person."
    [...]
    "Do you know whose shirt I also own? Yes, from Johan Cruijff." Received after his debut for Belgium, in 1976, when Cruijff outwitted him with a magic ball. "Untenable, like all my goals against", the Pfaff classic joke sounds. "The gloves I used that day are still hanging here."

El Sympatico wanted to see the questions before the interview. They were about Maradona. The answers a little less. "You can't say me anything wrong about Cruijff," he concludes. "Then I will leave immediately! Always time, always interested. How are you? How are the children? I have rarely seen a cleaner person than Johan."

https://www.vi.nl/pro/haat-liefdeve...-dn-diego-kan-een-voorbeeld-nemen-aan-cruijff
    (what they forget or overlook, is that he wrote the foreword for Pfaff his autobiography)

Skorenzy repped this.
  6. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #281 PuckVanHeel, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    Only saw this now, the past two days (first the top 100 yesterday, then the panel discussion today); in 2009 there was a panel that made a top 100 for 'Sport/Voetbalmagazine'. Kompany was at the time, with 28 caps, the only one included who was born in the 1980s or later. He just about made the top 100 at place 99-100, for a part on the back of his Champions League games for Anderlecht it seems (and the buzz around it then).

Interesting - and the reason I post this - are the comments by this panel, rather than the ordering. The ordering was Pfaff #9; Preud'homme #11; Piot #13; Nicolay #25; Meert #55; De Wilde #95; Munaron #97.

One other somewhat noteworthy goalkeeper, Danny Verlinden (link) is understandably not on this: had only one cap but was for a few years the oldest used CL player (until Costacurta surpassed it), and was also for 1390 minutes unbeaten at a time the league was top five in the coefficients.

Here in spoilers the comments regarding the goalkeepers:
    Show Spoiler
    For almost five hours, the eight jury members were busy debating the top 100 of the best Belgian footballers ever. Or how Aimé Anthuenis, François Colin, Wim De Coninck, Ariël Jacobs, Jacques Sys, Raf Willems, Jan Wauters and Robert Waseige agreed.
    [...]
    Who should definitely be in the top five?
    [...]
    Waseige: "And Christian Piot."

Anthuenis: "When you talk about Piot, you should also include Pfaff and Preud'homme."

De Coninck: "Jean Nicolay?"

Wauters: "He just falls below that. Piot was a monument in the goal. Raymond Goethals once said:" Pfaff is only half a Piot." But Pfaff has developed further and Piot cracked his body at the age of 30. For a goalkeeper that is young. Preud'homme, who had just a little less talent, has developed through his character, through his exceptional competence in one-on-one situations. Pfaff was the numero uno who conceded fifteen goals at the World Cup. Not all of them his fault but ... "

Sys: "But Pfaff was the one who stayed at Bayern Munich for six years, one of the most difficult clubs in Europe in that era. You should do that anyway, the context for a foreign keeper wasn't easy. I sometimes feel that Pfaff's thirst for publicity works a little against him and his overshadows his performances. "

Colin: "I rate them both equally because they were both voted the best in the world at a World Cup. A few weeks ago I talked to people from FIFA in Zurich. The question was which footballer we have to unpack for the 2018 World Cup bid. Everyone said, without much hesitation: Pfaff of course!"

Anthuenis: "Don't forget how Pfaff started: very poor, ten of us in a caravan. One of his brothers used to be an attraction, who walked around the field during half time while holding the ball high and doing tricks."

Should he be in the top ten together with Piot and Preud'homme?

Anthuenis: "No, those are too many keepers in the top. One keeper in the first ten is enough."

De Coninck: "Pfaff and Preud'homme have to be in that top ten."

Willems: "Not right. Piot was the best."

Waseige: "Piot is a victim of his modesty. He did not sell himself well. Preud'homme was fanatic and he played better out of goal than Christian, was better in one-on-one. But Christian didn't need to come out of his goal with defenders like Jeck and Beurlet ahead of him, playing that way. "

Preud'homme or Pfaff, Robert?

Waseige: "Then it's Pfaff. Becoming and staying king in Munich, then a difficult place, is a fantastic achievement."
    [...]
    Pfaff or Gerets?

De Coninck: "What I saw from Pfaff in the preparation for the European Championship in 1984, that was unbelievable. From the sixteen they were allowed to fire everything, he was unbeatable."

Wauters: "If he had to come out, it was a different story. For me he can be eleven or twelve. But I can live with it if he is higher. But then Gerets has to close the top ten."

Who just below the top ten? Piot or Preud'homme?

Raf Willems: "I continue to think Piot is the best Belgian goalkeeper ever."

Wauters: "Athletically, Piot was the better keeper, but in the end Preud'homme made a great career after his thirtieth birthday while Piot lost his body. With the specialty of coming out: in man-to-man situations, he was the first to do that in a perfectionist way. Ten years ago, I would say Piot ahead of Preud'homme, now I would turn that around. "
    [...]
    Waseige: "How is it possible that Jean Nicolay is not yet in it and we miss him?"

Wauters: "Nicolay was the first modern goalkeeper who also trained professionally, while Rie Meert was the goalkeeper for me just after the war, in the amateur time, still living on his class."
    [...]
    Wauters: "Is Henri Diricx not eligible? For years left back of Union and the national team. I also have a few keepers: Pol Gernaey, for example, from Ostend and Beerschot."

De Coninck: "Was he better than Filip De Wilde?"

Wauters: "Not any better, but they won't be far from each other."

Waseige: And Jacky Munaron.

Anthuenis: "Tell me who was the best, Robert, you worked with De Wilde and with Munaron."

Waseige: "Munaron lived with and for the team, De Wilde lived in his small cell. You should not underestimate what Munaron still meant to Club Liège. He came from Anderlecht, but he was not exhausted yet, you know."

https://sporza.be/nl/2014/08/19/van-moer_-_nicolay-was-in-zijn-periode-outstanding-1-2064345/
    -------------------------

That 'modernism' and professionalism of Nicolay is perhaps not self-explanatory, but Van Moer said this when Nicolay passed away in 2014, aged 76.

Wilfried Van Moer has played one year in his career with Jean Nicolay, who passed away on Monday at the age of 76. Van Moer is full of praise for the ex-Standard goalkeeper. "He already had the qualities that a modern goalkeeper should have."

"Jean Nicolay was a really good goalkeeper," said Wilfried Van Moer about the ex-Standard keeper, who played for Standard more than 500 times. "He was one of the best goalkeepers within Belgium in his time."

"Jean was a strong line keeper with incredible reflexes, but he was also technically good. When we played training matches, he always wanted to participate as a real footballer and he was one of the better players. He had all those qualities that a modern keeper should have."

What does Van Moer still know about the period in which he played at Standard with Nicolay? "He always gave me a good impression. He was a bit special, he was the boss in the dressing room. As a Fleming import, I had to listen to the local from Liège."

"He always wanted to win and didn't have an easy character. What do I mean by that? He couldn't stand losing. If we lost, he was angry with himself and everyone and started screaming. But that is what some good players do. And when we went for a pint after the match, it was completely different. He was a good man. "

Nicolay was also number one with the national team for eight years. Where does Van Moer place him in history? "After him came better goalkeepers, such as Pfaff and Preud'homme in my honest view. But he can be counted among the elite group of the Belgian goalkeepers. Of course something like that is time-bound, but in his own period he stood out."

https://sporza.be/nl/2014/08/19/van-moer_-_nicolay-was-in-zijn-periode-outstanding-1-2064345/

Gregoriak and peterhrt repped this.
  7. Ariaga II

Ariaga II Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Belgium (and Holland) have traditionally always had a top-class keeper, even in the amateur days when the rest of the team necessarily wasn't. Of course pre-war players won't be seen in all-time rankings.

For example, from my research, I'd say Gejus Van Der Meulen has a good case for being the Dutch GOAT. The Dutch press was quite proud of him, considering him to be ahead of Combi, for example.

peterhrt repped this.
  8. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Sorry, for the discussion I copied the wrong link. This is the correct link:
    https://sportmagazine.knack.be/sport/magazine/top-100/article-normal-1268983.html

It's also useful to repeat what Raf Willems (a Fleming) gave in 1999. For the team of the century these were given as options (not in order):

Jasjin, Zoff, Banks, Zamora, Beara, Gilmar, Grosics, Schroif, Carbajal, Maier, Mazurkiewicz, Schumacher, Schmeichel, Van der Sar, Van Beveren, Dassajev, Iribar, Combi, Jennings, Shilton

For some reason, in contrast to the other categories (e.g. Coeck is shortlisted) no Belgian goalkeeper is shortlisted. While for example Pfaff was 10th among Europeans, Preud'homme 19th, in the IFFHS century vote of 1999 (Van Breukelen was 20th, VdS 24th in 1999). The competitive strength of the national team in the last 50-55 years can be roughly compared to Uruguay.

His work with profiles, also in 1999, included Banks, Van Beveren, Mazurkiewicz, Pfaff, Yashin, Zoff, Zubizarreta.
    http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/best-x-players-of-y.html

As @PDG1978 noticed, the hardcover version included more names but no further goalkeepers were on this.

The recent 2020 book with profiles, originally published at a Belgian publisher but also appearing up north, included Yashin, Banks, Van Beveren, Zoff, Pfaff, Schmeichel, Van der Sar, Casillas, Neuer, Courtois.

It's possible Gejus van der Meulen his collaboration with the Nazis has (rightly) hurt him in later assessments. Most commonly Just Göbel and Frans de Munck are singled out for the early years. Historian Matty Verkamman digested a 'Big Six' in player reputation: Gobel, Van der Meulen, De Munck, Graafland, Van Beveren, Van der Sar. Whereby Van der Meulen can be replaced by Van Breukelen (who was often criticized in his day, but was nevertheless an elite level goalkeeper for a prolonged period of time).

Personally I'd say, with Courtois his career ongoing, Preud'homme is the best Belgian goalkeeper - I thought the same previously - and Van der Sar the best from the Netherlands (he was most likely the best stopper in the Champions League at the age of 40-41 really, and the 2nd best of the Premier League behind Hart at his peak - while playing behind an ever changing line-up of defenders). One of the examples in his youth was Preud'homme.

Everything considered, Preud'homme was a more rounded keeper than Pfaff was; maybe Pfaff was a fraction better on his line and with shots close to his body, helped by his body type, and he has a place in these sort of discussions. Preud'homme won an European trophy as possibly the outright best player of his team (in 1988).

peterhrt and msioux75 repped this.
  9. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #284 PuckVanHeel, Nov 3, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    This is basically what (North-Holland born) Henk Spaan wrote in 1998, too.

"About a goalkeeper countries often claim he is the best in the world. Personally I think then about Gordon Banks, Lev Yashin or Christian Piot as best of the world."

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/d...ation-1979-1994.1978389/page-20#post-38691794

I think, just like bigger countries (with a three to five times as high population), there have been some 'intermediate stage' keepers as well. Sometimes still among the best in a major tournament (CL, World Cup) but nevertheless an 'in between the monuments' goallie. At other moments there is the misfortune Preud'homme is only five years younger than Pfaff.

I'd also say that all these Benelux guys had their ups and downs, maybe with the arguable exception of VdS, who had a steady lower-level baseline (given the stats he still had for Juventus, ESM team of the month, 100% save percentage at euro 2000, and it took Buffon a decade to equal the 'goals conceded' column).

Preud'homme comes pretty close as well, I'd say, but has sideways involvement in the dismal bribery affair of the early 1980s (the only starting/integral player who saved his face was the veteran Arie Haan). Called the 'case Bellemans' or 'Waterschei affair' - investigated by the judicial system. Take that out, which you can't, and he had a strong baseline as well.

Gordon Banks is nowadays best known for a famous save, Preud'homme for 1994, Pfaff for an interview :D

10. Ariaga II

Ariaga II Member

Dec 8, 2018
    I wasn't aware of this part of his life. Suddenly it all makes sense. Can't say I agree with judging a footballer's career based on events outside the pitch.

I think VdS had his down in the early 00s, if not in ability than perception. Getting discarded by Juve and playing for a Fulham really hurt him. The ManU transfer really salvaged his reputation for posterity.

11. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #286 PuckVanHeel, Nov 3, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    Well yes, with 'lower-level baseline' I meant performances rather than perception or flamboyance.

If it's about perception or 'buzz' then Preud'homme had also lows, like some years before the 1994 World Cup. When his career looked as if being stuck on 'repeat mode', but then he added a new thing to his career. I was referring to the performances though (as how I see it and/or with tangibles in support), rather than the 'yawn factor'. The sideways involvement in the 'Bellemans case' cost him a place in the euro 1984 squad (just as e.g. Gerets). That episode aside, he had a steady level throughout I think for (nearly) two decades, as one of the two exceptions I mentioned.

Fulham was quite free-spending in the initial few years (Al-Fayed his pockets) - not any more in the last two - and I've seen a few British articles stating he was the best paid player (helped by appearance fees) and they bought him for a club record. In two years of his stay he was in the top 10 of the IFFHS goalkeeper vote (admittedly not a particularly good award).

The all-time great Peter Schmeichel - also nominated by FF of course - himself listed these goalkeepers for a euro 2004 BBC preview; I suppose Schmeichel was someone who based it on performance and technical grounds. The highlighted keepers other than his countryman Sorensen were VdS, Barthez (then playing in France and reaching the UEFA Cup final), Cech (before his move to Chelsea, Schmeichel mentioning his "fantastic reputation") and Buffon.

12. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Last night I was watching the latest videos from the YouTube channel "Mundo Maldini". In addition to those of Maradona, I was interested in seeing those of the Ballon d'Or - Dream Team. Maldini has recorded a video to comment and give his opinion on the proposals of France Football in the positions of goalkeeper, right back and left back.

Without a doubt it is an authoritative opinion that can help clarify the doubts that some of us may have in this regard. As is logical, the language used in the videos is Spanish, which is why, for those who do not understand the problem, I make a brief summary of what he says in each of them.

Goalkeepers: As was done here, you think that N'Kono's nomination may be due more to reasons of honoring African football. He comments that there are 3 absences on this list: Fillol, Chilavert and Mazurkiewicz, pointing out that, at the time the latter signed for Granada, he was the best goalkeeper in the world. He believes that any of these 3 could be on the list instead of the African and Van der Sar, who does not see him in the top 10 in history. For Maldini, the best goalkeeper in history is Iker Casillas. Regarding Yashin, he believes that his legend was enlarged by not leaving the Soviet Union and by the testimonies about his figure.

Right-back: He finds it incredible that France Football forgot to mention Dani Alves on this list, who in his opinion is the best right-back of this century. However, he chooses Cafu as the best in his position and also points out two possible names that could have been on this list: Phil Neal and Zanetti. It does not indicate who on the list could be expendable.

Left back: He mentions the versatility of Krol and Paolo Maldini, who also triumphed in the center of defense. He also points out other issues that were discussed in this thread such as that Breitner was not a clear left-back, although he performed with great success in this position in the 1974 World Cup. Something that disturbed me a bit was that he did not consider Junior left-back either; I seemed to understand that due to a surplus of talent in midfield, Brazil was placed in that position, although he performed better in somewhat more advanced positions. I especially liked that you think something that some of this forum pointed out a few days ago: Schnellinger deserved to be on this list.

On the other hand, he makes a video where he discusses whether Sergio Ramos is the best center-back in history. He compares him to Beckenbauer in several facets, the German coming out clearly superior, although, due to his titles, his career and his important goals in decisive moments, he places Ramos as the 2nd best center-back in history. He anticipates that he will make a video to comment on France Football's nominations for the best central defender in history.

A year ago he made a video about the best center-backs in his opinion. By the way, he always indicates that when he talks about the best it is according to his opinion and that he accepts any criticism, but always with respect. In this case, he put Passarella ahead of the Spaniard.

I limit myself to sharing your videos with you, even if I don't necessarily agree with your opinions, don't kill the messenger. In any case, I think that the different opinions enrich the arguments, especially if they come from a "football encyclopedia" such as this man.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anoche estuve viendo los últimos vídeos del canal de youtube “Mundo Maldini”. Además de los de Maradona, tuve interés en ver los del Ballon d´Or – Dream Team. Maldini ha grabado un vídeo para comentar y dar su opinión de las propuestas de France Football en las posiciones de portero, lateral derecho y lateral izquierdo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-94IHUGpDE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa6PI-hFiOs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBmWZx2hMaw

Sin duda es una opinión autorizada que puede ayudar a aclarar las dudas que algunos podamos tener en este sentido.

Como es lógico, el lenguaje empleado en los vídeos es el español, razón por la cual, para los que no entiendan el problema, hago un breve resumen de lo que comenta en cada uno de ellos.

Porteros: Al igual que se hizo aquí opina que la nominación de N´Kono puede deberse más a razones de homenajear el fútbol africano. Comenta que hay 3 ausencias en esta lista: Fillol, Chilavert y Mazurkiewicz, apuntado que, en el momento en que este último fichó por el Granada era el mejor portero del mundo. Cree que cualquiera de estos 3 podría estar en la lista en lugar del africano y de Van der Sar, al que no lo ve entre los 10 mejores de la historia. Para Maldini, el mejor portero de la historia es Iker Casillas. Respecto a Yashin opina que su leyenda se agrandó por no salir de la Unión Soviética y por los testimonios sobre su figura.

Lateral derecho: Considera increíble que France Football se hubiera olvidado de mencionar en esta lista a Dani Alves, quien a su juicio es el mejor lateral derecho de este siglo. No obstante, elige a Cafú como el mejor en su puesto y también apunta dos posibles nombres que hubieran podido estar en esta lista: Phil Neal y Zanetti. No señala quiénes de la lista podrían ser prescindibles.

Lateral izquierdo: Menciona la polivalencia de Krol y de Paolo Maldini, que triunfaron también en el centro de la defensa. También señala otras cuestiones que se discutieron en este hilo como que Breitner no fue un claro lateral izquierdo, aunque se desempeñara con gran acierto en esta posición en el Mundial de 1974. Algo que me descolocó un poco fue que tampoco consideraba a Junior lateral izquierdo; me pareció entender que debido a un superávit de talentos en el centro del campo de Brasil fue situado en esa posición, si bien se desempeñaba mejor en posiciones algo más adelantadas. Me gustó especialmente que opina algo que algunos de este foro apuntamos hace unos días: Schnellinger merecía estar en esta lista.

Por otra parte, hace un vídeo donde discute si Sergio Ramos es el mejor central de la historia. Lo compara con Beckenbauer en varias facetas, saliendo claramente superior el alemán, si bien, por sus títulos, por su trayectoria y por sus importantes goles en momentos decisivos, coloca a Ramos como 2º mejor central de la historia. Adelanta que hará un vídeo para comentar las nominaciones de France Football para el mejor defensa central de la historia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdkKVy70Pm8

Hace un año ya hizo un vídeo sobre los mejores centrales en su opinión. Por cierto, siempre indica que cuando él habla de los mejores es según su opinión y que acepta cualquier crítica, pero siempre desde el respeto. En este caso, puso a Passarella por delante del español.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X13JJgKL2no

Me limito a compartir sus vídeos con ustedes, aunque no necesariamente esté de acuerdo con sus opiniones, no maten al mensajero. En cualquier caso, creo que las opiniones diferentes enriquecen los argumentos, máxime si proceden de una “enciclopedia futbolística” como es este señor.

Gregoriak and PuckVanHeel repped this.
  13. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    What is actually "clarified" here? In these outtakes?

Proof is given for Chilavert his shot stopping or save percentage? Proof is given for Casillas, the "best ever", topping the indexes in 2011 rather than other (and busier) goalkeepers for elite clubs?

His international legend was enlarged by the international games he played, his success there, plain and simple. Not by how he played in the Soviet Union. One might very well think he is 'overrated', but this reasoning doesn't look correct.

It's also patronizing and condescending, using the modern situation as a stick to beat Yashin with.

Maybe you can make an argument for the 'greatest', for the 'best' I'd like to see some actual substance. It's just another down-chopper, this sponsored journalist and demographics driven man.

14. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Makes great sense I'd say, even though Zanetti was only once nominated for the BdO, in 1996, without receiving votes. Still, no actual clarification is given.

15. Ariaga II

Ariaga II Member

Dec 8, 2018
    The part about Alves and Cafu is a weird contradiction, seeing as Cafu peaked this century.

Phil Neal received quite a bit of flak in WS at the time (same as the entire late 70s England defence). Didn't strike me as ATG-level at all. Forget top 10 all-time, I didn't rank him in the top 10 of his era. :D The axis never sleeps!

msioux75 repped this.
  16. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Right. Cafu also played in the 21st century, but it is possible that Maldini considers that his best years were in his time in Sao Paulo (20th century), which is why, if so, I do not see the contradiction.

17. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Call me bias but Chilavert was overrated. He was never considered the best in any NT tournament, never invented anything. His career in Argentinian football was good but nothing to write home about as other less known goalkeepers had been rated mostly higher in his epoch. His leadership was considered a strong point with his teams, but as a shot stopper he wasn’t that great. He was a dirty player in some ways too.

25 years ago I met him and he was supposed to conduct an interview with me but left me hanging. He wasn’t a gentleman either on or off the pitch.

18. Ariaga II

Ariaga II Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Yeah, but who on earth would consider that? Like saying Alves was at his best in his Sevilla years. I guess he considered the amount of seasons played in the 00s or whatever. Still sounds weird.

It probably means something this ATG played his football at Velez Sarsfield and Strasbourg.

19. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    The idea Neal is definitely not top ten right-back in his era (meaning: 1975 to 1985 generation of players) looks as weird to me as thinking 'shamateur' Hungary in 1953 had less quality players as the team they demolished a few times.

I can actually reason this properly, and it is not merely the trophies...

20. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    What occurred is that at Velez Sarsfield he left an indelible mark when the club won its most prestigious silverware. His strong personality, his correct positioning on the line and his commanding presence to order his defense were his strong points. But his abilities between the posts was nothing special. He was rather wooden in movement and lacked the gymnastics of others. He gets too much credit for his NT career when he wasn’t better than his predecessor, “El Gato” Fernández, in an era that the South American championships had changed formats and the World Cups had expanded into 32 teams. And like I said, if sportsmanship is taken into account, he left a lot to be desired.

21. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    I think his record as a goalscorer keeper (many from Open Play) makes an impression.

Anyways, I don't rate him so high, neither

22. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Chilavert was considered one of the best at the 1998 World Cup, and for good reason, because with 90.9% he had the highest save percentage of anyone that tournament. So here is an actual "clarification", if you like.

However, that is just one tournament. Other aforementioned keepers are among the top for a number of them (VdS, who this demographics pandering clown wants to drop and instead insert his latin darlings, was among the top for five or six tournaments).

23. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Opposite to this though is club football deliberately turned into a closed shop, with as a result of that power a declined wages to turnover ratio for the elite clubs:

https://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2020/11/0...n-onverzadigbaar-dat-is-het-probleem-a4018796

24. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I did think previously that if anything (or when in doubt) 'Maldini' seemed to have a tendency to recognise Spanish players and/or players from that mid 70s to mid 80s kind of time period. Maybe it's natural to lean towards not under-rating players of one's own nationality and the players of someone's formative/teenage years as a football fan, and while I don't say I was dishonest myself or for sure incorrect I realise it could look the same way for me in some posts re: English players (overall through history more than in modern day probably) and players of the late 80s to late 90s for example (that they get the benefit of the doubt or whatever too).

He may well have seen more of Neal than me to be honest, but I'd err towards best 10 all-time seeming a stretch, but best 10 of his era seeming very feasible overall. If I tried to make a call based on what I know and have seen of the players (only players I know well enough and saw enough to some extent) I'd have him in the mix for best Liverpool right backs and best English (as opposed to England - so not purely based on NT career/performances) right backs I'd think. I could just as easily think he could be 1st as 5th for either though probably. I'd have Rob Jones and Trent Alexander-Arnold on both lists too I think personally, plus Babbel and Nicol for Liverpool, and Viv Anderson and Cohen for English players (not considering Armfield, and neither Lawler of Liverpool for example). So I'd tend to say ahead of Gary Neville, Paul Parker, Gary Stevens (whichever one of that name lol!), Trippier, Dixon.... (Alf Ramsay too maybe, although actually he pre-dates Armfield of course).

He seems to have been pretty well balanced between contributing going forwards (although obviously his goalscoring is inflated by penalties) and being fairly reliable defensively I think. So he might edge a Neville or certainly Parker and also Dixon for the former, and probably Stevens for that/and or defensive prowess (I'm thinking of the one who played for Everton and made more appearances for England now for comparison purposes, not his namesake who played for Brighton/Tottenham including as centre-back who actually for 'skill' might not be behind Neal at least I'm thinking/recollecting). And probably Trippier defensively.

msioux75 and Titanlux repped this.
  25. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    In Zaragoza he did not leave a good memory either. The board breathed when he finally left the club ...