Ballack or Baptista?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Dark Savante, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No trouble in paradise, I can assure you.

At first I was almost looking forward to it, DC United are undefeated when it comes to facing English opposition, and therein lies the problem. :D

2. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

Now now Motter Chavski has one or two english players on the squad...... Now if we were talking about Arsenal thats a whole different story....... ;) :D

3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Do they? Until the late 80s, despite being a "massive" club, you were no different than many other English clubs, save for that one EC to your name. And there are plenty of teams that used to be big that aren't anymore. Atletico Madrid did the Spanish double within the decade, and spent two years in the Segunda. Liverpool have been hanging onto their "big" status fairly unsuccessfully for a decade now.
    With the money in the game now, things will change we'll see how.

Chelsea's domestic following is bigger than you make it out to be.

4. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    But I haven't said we are. Merely that there's no guarantee that we'll have to regress to the mean because Arsenal have some reason not to. All clubs have to start somewhere. And we're hardly starting from scratch.

5. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester
    Ahem... back on track...

Yes, I saw this. I think Baptista's agent has knocked some sense into him. It does make sense for him to aquire an EU passport, so that he'll be a more inviting prospect to Spanish sides (Players without the EU status keep getting thrown aside as the big clubs annually bring in the hottest new Brazillian and Argie talents: Riquelme's and Saviola's loan spells, Robinho's failed January transfer to Madrid). I'm surprised that Barca would take him, seeing as surely their 3 non-EU spots are occupied by 3 out of Ronaldinho, Marquez, Motta, Belleti, Eto'o, Maxi Lopez, Messi and Edmilson. There was talk of Messi going on loan to Rangers....

Anyway, that's Barca's problem. Eventually they'd happily see one or two of their less established youngsters go out on loan as Baptista gets his passport in this next season.

Eventually having a EU passport also eliminates the Work Permit issues should a move to England ever be on the cards. As good a player as he is, playing in 75% of Brazil's internationals isn't easy to do. All in all, it's sensible for him to either stick at Sevilla for one more year before making the England switch, or move to barca.

6. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure...

Your logic seems to be getting a bit circular at this point, and since we're already far enough off topic, I'll just let that be the last post in here regarding the topic of what makes a big club.

7. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    LOL - this thread is hillarious... all the time spent arguing about what makes a club big... let Nicephoras prove that Chelsea is a big club or that they will be successful post-Amabigrussianbitch, the burden of proof lays with him... no one needs to be told, no one with brains atleast, that United and Liverpool, Juve and Milan, Real and Barca etc are big clubs... WE ALL KNOW THAT...

8. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    Well, Baptista wisely decided to go to Real Madrid, I wonder if MU plans to at least approach Ballack regarding possible transfer.

9. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Not going to happen either. :eek:

10. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I believe Ballack will stay w/ Bayern. If he leaves Germany to go abroad then Italy's Serie A would be the most likely destination not England. :)

11. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005
    What makes you think that? Did he mention something about it?

12. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    My opinion to be sure. But also by following his career and style of play.

13. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the MEN story about United monitoring Ballack:

14. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Could be posturing could be for real; we'll see by January's transfer window.

15. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IF we are going to get him, we should get him now not in January when he will be cup-tied. I wouldn't even want him at that point, plus hopefully Scholes will be able to prove himself as a renew goal-scoring force by then.

16. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    That's a whole other topic. Let's hope you're right. Scholes down season last year was detrimental to ManU.

17. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004