Badgers? BADGERS? We don't need no stinking badgers! Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalTexan3, Jul 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  2. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Interesting that out of Gallas, Silvestre and Campbell on Arsenal.com only Sol is listed on the first team roster. Is that just because he hasnt officialy left yet or because he has actualy signed?

Technicaly he is a free agent right?

3. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah he and Sly would be free agents. I got this in an email so it is just speculation. We(as in Arsenal) offered him a year at £80K or two at £50K as I understood. So he gets the hump and flies off to Juve where they offer him 2x35Me, Pana offer 2x32Me - best offer is now PSG at 2x40Me. Unless he's desperate to get out he'd be better off signing with us for more money and a last shot at CL football.

4. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    i'm sure i read somewhere this week that arsenal had offered £35k/w, though i have no reason to think it is right.

5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    gallas was good last year, but i think wenger would'nt sign him again now

6. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    wenger quote:
    “There is no news on a defensive signing but numbers wise we are short in defence,” said Wenger.

“The situation is still open for Sol Campbell and for the rest we are still looking.”

sounds like plural to me. let's hope so.

plus, apparently we are preparing a £10m bid for mertesacker if we don't get jagielka.
    anyone else thinks it should be the other way around? mertesacker is younger, taller, probably faster and an international.....yet cheaper?
    fs arsene, just buy both ;)

7. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    mertesaker is not faster than jagielka

continants drift quicker than mert lol

8. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    well, jagielka is no speed machine, and mertesacker was able to match someone (who i forget right this second) at the world cup who is supposed to be fast.

9. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    ive always been in mertesacker's bunker...
    guy is exactly what we need, imo.

10. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    he would be ok because we need to make our defensive line lower vs top sides anyway

when we stop pressing we still are too high up the pitch and get countered

modern football has moved onto zone pressing and deeper lines with 2 holders of good technical ability

11. thedude83

thedude83 Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Kansas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    yeah, no kidding man. TV has got the pace, Mertesacker's got the height.

12. carlfordnathan

Dec 3, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Messi. Seriously. I remember the commentators talking about it.

13. MyArsenal45

MyArsenal45 New Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I thought I was shouting into the wind on this subject in the last thread. Mert is exactly the type of defender we need. A giant on the backline who isn't going to come bombing forward like the others, but can still handle the speed of oncoming attackers, like he demonstrated against the Argies.

14. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    This did happen but again...that's only one incident and frankly you can justify very few decisions based on a single data point.

15. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've wanted to see him in an Arsenal kit since Germany 2006.

16. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    what about subotic? naldo?

17. thedude83

thedude83 Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Kansas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sure, but wouldn't you rather have the big German instead?

18. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Always could use a mad German.

Also watching JET play recently got me thinking that lining up along side Cesc and Song in midfield might give us that steel we were looking for last year. Jay is big and strong, likes going forward, can tackle and has an eye for goal. The combination of JET and Song could give Fab the room he needs to play at his most creative. When Cesc plays for Spain he never seems concerned about roaming because he know they have his back. The combination of Song and JET could also inspire this kind of confidence allowing him to get forward which we all know is his best position. I have to tell you, I think JET is going to be twice the player Diaby is. Thoughts?

19. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    unless messi had a knock, the 2 of them running and messi not getting away doesn't really need too much more data.

20. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England internationals Shaun Wright-Phillips, Joleon Lescott and Wayne Bridge are among the high-profile names Mancini wants out of Eastlands as the Italian started to wield the axe on the most expensively-assembled squad in the Premier League.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...Roberto-Mancini-weilds-axe.html#ixzz0ue6gwnfE

The manager tried to distance himself from the possibility of a fire sale on Saturday by insisting he wants two players for each position, yet Kolarov’s arrival means City now have a staggering 39 players in their first-team squad.

21. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I wouldnt give £20m for the 3 of them combined! Lescott's value has taken a fair hit in the space of 12mths

23. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Also, have City not received the fax about the homegrown rule?? If they sold Bridge, Lescott, SWP, Bellamy and Ireland they could be in trouble.

The definition of home grown is trained for three years under the age of 21 by somebody in the English and Welsh professional system. Clubs will be required to have a squad named of up to 25 players, of which no more than 17 can be over the age of 21 and not home grown.

They might just get away with it if they include Hart, Richards, Onuoha and im guessing the reason they re-signed Taylor after they let him go was because they need a third keeper so they might aswell keep an English man as their spare prick.

Take into account the need to include 4 U-21 players and that leaves 17 spots for a lot of bodies.

24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    isnt jet a forward player more than a holding mid? he is a bit like diaby to me

25. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Who knew that when you buy EVERYONE that you eventually run out of spaces?

I'd take Lescott for 10m- he'd be perfectly fine for a 2nd-3rd choice CB.