Bad stories

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Law5, Oct 27, 2021.

1. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I checked the Menacesoccer.com website. All it had was playing June 1 at Sueno FC!

2. seattlebeach

seattlebeach Member

AFC Richmond
    May 11, 2015
    Not Seattle, Not Beach
    Definitely didn't wonder if you were spending your time thinking about your life choices :)

dadman repped this.
  3. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was thinking, "There goes the assessment..."

dadman and seattlebeach repped this.
  4. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    A partner specific bad story to go with my good weekend at Adult Regional Championships.

I'm AR1 on a men's open division. Late in the first half, there is a fast ball over the top on the far sideline with the 2LD close to midfield. I take off to keep up with play and slam into the coach whom was on the touch line for the first time all game. I tried to grab with my right hand and his shirt ripped out of my fingers. My first conscious thought was, "F***! I'm out of position!" Based on the feeling on the back of my head, the coach is lucky he didn't end up with a broken nose. The coach then sat down on the bench for the rest of the half instead of standing at it.

My friend was 4O on the adjacent field and happened to be addressing the technical area behind me. Some quotes from him telling the story. "[Dayton Ref] literally sat his ass down!" "I looked over and the coach is on his ass and [Dayton Ref] is 2 yards onto the field from bouncing off and starting to run again."

I was fine. I know it wasn't my fault, but I feel bad. The man looked to be 70 and he might've broken something.

dadman and IASocFan repped this.
  5. the_phoenix612

Manchester United
    United States
    Sep 13, 2022
    Houston, TX
    Hopefully he broke his habit of standing on the touchline

dadman, RefIADad, Beau Dure and 6 others repped this.
  6. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You didn't happen to grow up in Iowa, did you? :D

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Washington actually

dadman repped this.
  8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    My western NY wife says it that way. She's such a hick.

dadman repped this.
  9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    For the second time this season, one of my friends had their first PRO assigned game as referee canceled. Game was Saturday, and I would wager that the visiting team couldn't get a flight with the world-wide BSOD issue. I'm not even positive he would have made it to the game.

11. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    #1987 soccerref69420, Jul 24, 2024 at 1:13 AM
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2024 at 1:19 AM
    You guys have to see this one

https://www.instagram.com/p/C9vkreyuwFO/

"The tournament specifically told referees to limit their use of yellow and red cards because teams paid a lot of money to be here".

My following match if I saw that written in writing to me:

upload_2024-7-23_22-19-18.png

And I saw on some message board about this that the tournament refused to increase or provide decent ref fees, so the usual assignors boycotted, and they got terrible referees from much farther away because no one decent wanted to work for them. Well this is what you get.

I'm telling you, I'm honestly going to look into buying the keychain pepper spray and keep it in my pocket during any sporting events I referee to threaten using and then use in self-defense if I need to. Only concern I have is the prospect of potentially facing a lawsuit if I used it on someone.

dadman repped this.
  12. the_phoenix612

Manchester United
    United States
    Sep 13, 2022
    Houston, TX
    Rude, I just posted a new thread about it!

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/mass-con-referee-assault-at-surf-cup.2131584/#post-42412433

dadman repped this.