Bad stories

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Law5, Oct 27, 2021.

1. the_phoenix612

Manchester United
    United States
    Sep 13, 2022
    Houston, TX
    This summer has been the absolute worst.

2. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We are right at 50 straight days over 100, 25 days over 103 (mostly at 105) and no rain since June 5 until last night when it sprinkled for 20 seconds for some reason.

The friendlies this weekend will be brutal. The artificial fields will be 150-170 and hot enough to burn skin if you are on it. Kids will be sick and I feel confident someone will end up at the hospital. It’s pure insanity to be playing.

3. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Next weekend I'll be in Austin for a referee academy where my games will be GA games at noon and 4 on turf. I think the person I feel the worst about is the mentor who spent their northern hemisphere summer in Australia and hasn't even had a chance to adapt to their summer, let alone central Texas.

4. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    High school soccer started last Thursday in our state. We immediately had our first 'mercy rule' game, 9-1 small school girls' varsity beating an even smaller school's team.

And we have already had the first red card of the season. Foul and abusive language, repeated four times directed by a player towards an opponent. JV girls.

I weep for my sport.

dadman and IASocFan repped this.
  5. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    Hate to say it, but it's not the sport.......more like our society/culture.

AlextheRef, MetroFever, dadman and 3 others repped this.
  6. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR

Minor league baseball umpire tosses a player out. Player continues screaming at him and then following him around screaming at him. Umpire pokes player in stomach, probably to tell him to get away from him. Umpire gets “tossed out” probably by crew chief.

7. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    On this note, has anyone here ever "removed" an assistant from their USSF sanctioned match?

Our state has given contradicting information on when to do so. Some assignors/instructors have strongly insisted to remove a a fellow referee if they are not wearing their badge, regardless of if they are AR1, AR2 or Referee. What a great scene in front of everyone, huh?

Others have indicated that since it's not covered in the USSF Code of Ethics for Referees, is to report issues like badges to the assignor and make a mention of it to the referee involved. This makes more sense to me, unless there are the obvious examples of a partner showing up intoxicated or striking a player (such as in this video).

Anyone here been part of a crew where this happened in your soccer match?

8. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    A season or two ago I kicked a youth AR2 off a game I was centering. Multiple times he was twiddling his flag while play went into his half and he didn’t even move to follow it just stayed near midfield. I went to my AR1 who I knew and was experienced, he also saw this kid wasn’t trying, I told him I’m gonna warn the kid and if he does it again I’m kicking him out and we will just manage the game together he said no problem. I warned this kid, he said ok sorry I’ll pay attention. He did it again. I went over to him and asked for the flag and told him to go home. Then I explained to the coaches and they thanked me because they also noticed he was doing nothing.

9. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    If we sent home refs without badges, half our newbie refs would never work a game....

Now have I wanted to send home a ref, hell yeah. But as an assignor, I figure that would basically end that refs usefulness to me. So I carry on, and then try to mentor afterwards. Usually a lost cause and they disappear soon after.

MetroFever repped this.
  10. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    I've replaced a club line, but never an assigned neutral AR.

He was making disparaging comments to the girl players, who were getting upset. I asked a coach (not from the team, I think another daughter was playing) to fill in, and she was either a current or past club board member. Yes she was wearing heels because she was going somewhere after the game. But I convinced her she only had to stand in place and signal when the ball went over the line.

MetroFever repped this.
  11. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your comments are a bit kind to the umpire. Yes, the player followed him around and refused to leave. He should be dealt with harshly, but the umpire had to be held back by his crew. That 'poke' looked to me to a half punch which he thought twice of and didn't use as much force as his reaction was going to give.

12. mvgary

mvgary Member

Jan 12, 2006
    MBB,AR called a player a c###sucker motherf###er. I thought the player would remove him. I spent the 40 minute ride home yelling at the assignor.

IASocFan repped this.
  13. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    Once. A number of years ago on a U12 or so league game, before kickoff a college-age AR was openly disparaging the players' skills level, this game was "beneath" him, laughing at my quick pregame on known issues on that particular matchup, etc. I tried to steer him to a more positive approach to our match, but he got worse. So, "Your services will not be needed on this match." He ended up leaving the complex and his remaining assignments. Our Assignor backed me up.

MetroFever, dadman, AlextheRef and 2 others repped this.
  14. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    First high school games of the year last night. JV girls then varsity girls. JV is a dual, varsity I'm AR1. (For pre-league season games, the assignor normally makes me AR1 so I can give her feedback on a newish referee's performance.) Both teams typically below .500.

JV game is a cake walk. 9-1 for the visitors, mercy rule ended the game eight minutes early, with an own goal by the home team.

Varsity game is also lopsided. For the first half, play was all at the end. Home never got the ball past the 30 yard line. Visiting goalkeeper did not touch the ball in that half. According to my Garmin, I walked, strolled, stood 0.33 miles, in 40 minutes. I have never had a game before, even a shortened tournament type game, with a number that low. 1.23 miles for the second half, for a 33 minute mile pace. 6-0 final and we didn't get to the mercy rule only because the visitors' intense desire to score led them to take shots without regard to whether there was a defender standing between the ball and the goal.

dadman and seattlebeach repped this.
  15. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I was AR1 and the CR "ejected" AR2 in a tournament game for having white stripes on his shorts.

I was CR the second game and I allowed the striped shorts ref to work. The previous CR walked off the field in protest. Striped Shorts did a good job, despite his attire.

16. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I hope the state office was aware and suspended the guy. Walking off the field is the biggest sin imaginable.

We have an adult referee that gets assigned high level games that fits this description, where I've had to whistle offsides myself since he's not into the game mentally at all and can't even do the bare minimum to signal subs. Sending him "home" would serve no purpose since at least 5 well respected referees have notified the assignor about this guy and have showed me the email and text messages with the same responses ("I wasn't aware"). The way I see it is if the assignor is ok with this conduct, I am drawing attention to myself by dismissing him.

My experience with the younger generation is much more positive than most of the referees here have had. I am wondering if it's partly because of my experience coaching this age group. I have told assignors that I'd prefer working with the "younger guys" than folks in my age demographic since they have a heigher ceiling and willing to accept my feedback to the point where they go out of their way to request to work with me or remind me about something that I said that hurt their feelings a year ago, but needed a kick in the butt from someone at that point (ex: showing up 5 minutes before kickoff) and still remember the unfiltered "lecture" I gave them.

Dayton Ref, frankieboylampard and dadman repped this.
  17. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    When I was an instructor I was also an assignor and new refs would ask me what they needed. I said the first requirement was that they had a pulse and emphasized that it was the key. After that I listed the various pieces of the uniform. Someone would ask what if they didn’t have black shoes. I’d say we prefer black, but remember the first requirement. Same with everything else.

We didn’t have enough refs. There was no way I’m sending home someone because they have stripes on their shorts. I will say, I’d probably find a way to work out my schedule without the prima donna.

RefModeExplode and Dayton Ref repped this.
  18. gaolin

gaolin Member

Apr 21, 2019
    1. 3 weeks ago, I get assigned a UPSL whistle in Georgia.
    2. The very next day, 3 weeks ago, I request an adult assessment via GA Referee's website.
    3. A week and half ago, I was notified if it's okay with the ref crew to push game from Saturday to Sunday, today. Ref crew agrees. (You can see where this is going...)
    4. 5 days ago, I send a follow-up email to SDA asking if a match official was assigned since I never heard back. I receive a confirmation few minutes later.
    5. Today I receive a call asking where everybody is, referee coach is there and no one is.
    Yeah, I completely forgot to update the SDA about the time change. This rarely happens and I just dropped the ball. The SDA encouraged me to submit another one if I wanted it assessed so we'll see if the 24-hour-call is answered.

I just feel bad for wasting the assessor's time.

IASocFan repped this.
  19. AZOldRef

AZOldRef Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Apr 5, 2021
    U12 Girls - Blue team Coach is on my case from first whistle. There's a throw in decision right in front of him where I overrule the AR ... not my favorite thing to do, but it clearly took a touch the AR didn't see. Now he's seriously grieved. I tell him, hey, it's a throw in, relax. More grumbling during the 1st half, he gets a warning.
    Late 1st half - white attacker in offside position, ball played through, white not going to get there. AR raises flag then lowers when she recognizes the situation (not the best mechanic, but not a huge deal). Ball goes to blue GK and we play on. Blue coach is losing his mind now. He gets a YC.
    To his credit he didn't say much the 2nd half.

Post match he comes up to me and says, "You know, if you would approach me nicely and just explain what you saw I would take it a lot better."
    In my head "If you weren't such an $%^&*() I wouldn't have to deal with your dumb #$@ so I guess we're both going to be disappointed."

Seriously? Are you $%^&ing kidding me? You get to berate me and now I'm supposed to care about your feelings?

Sigh.

20. ejschwartz

ejschwartz Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Oct 17, 2021
    I don't know if this belongs here, but this seems like the closest thread. I had a really weird game on Friday. Girls varsity, AAAA team (home) vs AAA (visitors). Dual referee system. The first half was very non-eventful. No fouls at all. Home team possesses the ball almost the whole time. 3-0 at half.

Immediately after half everyone seems to have more energy, and there is a foul in the first few minutes. But overall, still a very calm game. Visitors eventually start to get tired/frustrated and begin fouling more.

Here is where things got weird. Maybe 5 minutes left in the game. Home attacker breaks away from defense, is 1 vs 1 with the goalie. I am the lead, and my trail was still pretty far away because of a fast counter. Attacker touches the ball to the side to try to run around the goalie, who is coming out. Goalie dives at the ball. I am confident (as much as can be from the weird angle) that (1) goalie completely misses the ball, (2) goalie makes contact with the attacker with her outstretched arms, (3) attacker falls to the ground. The score at this point was 5-0, and there was nothing malicious. If the keeper was close to getting the ball, I would have let it go. But she wasn't remotely close, so I called a PK. The visitor's bench is on the other half of the field, and the other side of the field, but I can hear some frustration. No complaints on the field. PK, attacker scores.

Minutes later, home team is attacking again. Defenders are tired, and kick the ball towards their goal line. Attacker shields the ball for a corner kick. Defender comes in at speed and hits the attacker in the back, near the edge of the PA but clearly inside it. PK again.

So we went from zero fouls in the first half to two PKs in the last five minutes of the game. Weird.

After the game, visitors coach & goalie coach meet me at half field and ask why I called the first PK. "Because there was a foul in the PA...". We talk for a bit, and eventually I figure out that they are confident there was no contact between their keeper and the attacker. I'm obviously used to disagreements about what happened, but this is a weird one, since I perceived substantial contact! My partner agreed there was contact between the keeper and attacker. The timer (unsolicited) also said that she saw contact (though she's obviously biased). I was confident enough in my call that I wasn't very bothered by the whole interaction, which was cordial. I'm more bewildered how such a large disagreement can happen. The visiting coaches were probably 60-70 yards away, but with a clear line of sight, I don't see how they saw something so different. Again, I could understand "Well she didn't foul her that hard" or "She could have stayed up", but not "There was no contact".

dadman repped this.
  21. ejschwartz

ejschwartz Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Oct 17, 2021
    How is he going to justify his behavior to himself if it's not your fault? ;)

dadman repped this.
  22. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Brought to you by the makers of "they have to ask for ten!!!"

RefModeExplode, DefRef, jayhonk and 2 others repped this.
  23. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    Because people see what is advantageous to them.

I'm reminded of a game where my daughter was playing, probably U10. I'm acting as a club line (only a center ref at that age). My daughter got the ball! She's headed toward goal! Then the center blows his whistle - offside. Huh? Rewinding it in my mind, I think that I wasn't even looking at offside (wasn't my call to make as a club line, although I'd usually notice it). Was she off? Yeah, might have been. But I missed it because I thought she had a good chance to score.

Dayton Ref, dadman and ejschwartz repped this.
  24. the_phoenix612

Manchester United
    United States
    Sep 13, 2022
    Houston, TX
    I worked 8 centers and five lines over the three days of our Labor Day tournament here in Houston, all U15B+ bar one game and was rewarded with a top bracket U16B semifinal and the U18B and U19B finals for my three games on Monday.

U16B semifinal was contentious and physical but relatively well controlled through the first 57 minutes (70 minute game total). The usual U16B arguing after calls, rarely rising to the level of cautionable dissent. 2-1 to blue when blue breaks through midfield and white's defender, who received a caution in the 10th minute for FRD, wipes out the attacker for a nailed-on SPA and 2CT. Two white players follow him into the book for dissenting the decision, though the sent off player accepts the decision with no further comment.

Five minutes after that, following a foul called by my AR2 on a challenge right in front of him, he pops a flag and start waving me over. Before I can close to a reasonable distance, he hollers "White number 18 needs to be sent off for cussing at me!" loudly enough for all parents and players to hear (player said "pinche arbitro pendejo" to my natively Spanish speaking AR2). Thank you very much AR2 for removing my ability to manage this situation, here's your AL red card number 18.

As you can imagine, with three minutes left in a 2-1 game and now down a man, white ... loses their cool. Two minutes later, DOGSO followed rapidly by two more AL sendoffs (for extremely unprintable language calling me all kinds of things) before the final whistle.

White's coach was full of apology after the game, telling me it was the most talented set of players he's ever had and the worst team he's ever had all in one. I politely declined to share my feelings, shook his hand, and got to work on my supplementals...

Boys.

25. gaolin

gaolin Member

Apr 21, 2019
    So, you're okay with players verbally abusing your referee crew? Especially with that kind of language? And you want to be able to manage that without a card? That's a red any day of week -- especially at that age.