Bad stories

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Law5, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    A few years ago I performed civic duty unto the seventh generation and worked as part of a group in collaboration with our township for a new turfed field. HS has had turf forever but this one, in a municipal park, was a brand-new pinata. Sooo many people were aghast at the thought of children eating the rubber infill...

Among the presentations we heard was a pitch for coconut husk-based infill, used at that time for things including AC Milan's practice venue. Pitch was that this was more sustainable, cooler, and less noxious than rubber, downside was longevity relative to rubber, especially in a zone of cold/wet weather.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  2. Soccer Dad & Ref

Oct 19, 2017
    San Diego
    They should have had a machine to groom the turf, smoothing all that out. Probably not enough budget, but even the handheld ones aren't too expensive. Even our local AYSO has one

3. SkiRacer

SkiRacer Member

Everton
    United States
    Oct 19, 2018
    I usually give a thumbs up as I am running up the line after a goal to emphasize that we have a good goal.

4. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    I have worked fields with coconut husk infill. I can't say if it's cooler or not. The fill was clearly different, both in color and texture - it was "sharp edged". No enough to cut/scratch, but noticeable.

5. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    I want to retract anything I have previously believed that a dual system is better than running a CR with a single AR. I do duals so rarely that I don't have to deal with them often, but holy crap are they terrible, just had to do one in a HS VB game today. Even with the ref I know who has experience, it still didn't go great. The worst part is having to reorient yourself to get in line with 2LD with dynamic play coming towards you and having to see both the offside line and fouls in the middle of the field. I had to run all the way across the field to my other ref's side to give a yellow that he wasn't going to give.

Forget it

soxfaninny, voiceoflg, IASocFan and 4 others repped this.
  6. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    About turf fields and grooming. In all the years I have been in and around turf fields, I have never seen one groomed or cleaned. Some of them are filthy dirty.

jayhonk repped this.
  7. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    its not something that happens before game day. My dad use to do maintenance for a school district and said that they do it when no one is going to be on it.
    they should also be watered down too often (which 90% of school districts don’t do). Bird poop, animal droppings, sweat, tears and other stuff stays on the top… lol

8. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    i guess I meant I have never been on one that LOOKED like it had been cleaned!

IASocFan and frankieboylampard repped this.
  9. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    My son went to a Jesuit school. I was impressed when I saw them doing it, as my experience was always that fields were in need of having it done.

10. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    JUG labor? :)

11. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    Some idiot used to let his little dog run around on the local high school turf field. I scooped up dog $#!+ before games multiple times.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  12. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    But I don’t think they’d let the students touch those machines!

Law5 repped this.
  13. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Turf or not, that's a problem.

My son's first ever center, he had to have the home coach remove a dead rat from the field.

14. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    Last night girls varsity. Team’s best player is aggressive. Gave YC for PI. Later on give opponents FK at midfield, she runs over to stand in front of the ball pretending to fix her shin guards/socks. I go to her and warn her about delaying the restart and to not pull that crap again. Takes a very slow throw in later where I had to give her the LETS GO but I let it go. A few minutes before the game is over ball goes out for their throw in, they leave it for her to come all the way across the field to take it, I’m already pissed. Hesitates for 3-4 throws then drops it to let another girl take it. Boom second yellow. Coach is distraught. Tell her I specifically warned her to not delay again and she pulls that after two warnings. Coach says she will report me, I thank her

StarTime, dadman, RefIADad and 4 others repped this.
  15. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Stop the clock and publicly admonish her?

dadman and IASocFan repped this.
  16. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I often wish I could see the email or phone exchanges when this happens.

JasonMa, StarTime, dadman and 2 others repped this.
  17. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Stop the clock, admonish her, and then put time back on the clock. The reverse-tragedy of NFHS is that we can reload the hourglass when needed, and this fits the bill.

dadman and frankieboylampard repped this.
  18. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    Assignor called me asking what happened. I told him exactly what happened and that there were multiple parents filming the full game and they can feel free to look at the entire game to see how many clear warnings this player got.

Yeah I always forget about the NFHS stopping the clock. I didn't do that, just treated it like a regular match. Have to remember that.

dadman, StarTime and frankieboylampard repped this.
  19. gaolin

gaolin Member+

Apr 21, 2019
    I'm surprised you didn't Lahoz the crap out that player given your penchant for cards. :whistling:

20. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    The only fault I see here is @soccerref69420 seems to brutally honest when discussing his matches where many cherry pick what to say about their own to make themselves look good.

Stop the match after repeated verbal warnings? Why??? And then what? "Pretty please, umm...can you throw the ball now madam?". Yes, experienced referees can possibly avoid this situation with man management but after how many verbal warnings?

For an adult Christmas Tournament, I issued a second caution in an indoor match. After the game, we had a civil conversation where the player admitted he never got a red card in any match in his career and felt that once he got the yellow card, it was out of the way and felt he could do anything at that point.

It's the posters colleagues who let him down who refuse to issue second cautions and give constant "warnings" to avoid describing red cards in Referee Reports or standing out from the crowd by getting a call from the Athletic Director.

dadman, IASocFan, ShayG and 1 other person repped this.
  21. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The OP of this chat @soccerref69420 had other options. He mentioned she was the best player, he mentioned he spoke to her once and she was on caution already.

I think having a high soccer IQ the reason they’re having this person take a throw may be tactical (if she is really skilled) or it could be a delay tactic. Especially, if they’re winning or trying to hold onto a tie late in the match and they wanna run out the clock.

his other option is to Stop the clock. Add more time (per his states rules), and public admonish; puts this back on the delaying team. It allows for the other team to look like the bad guy. Let’s both teams know this may be a tactic, he is aware, and defeats the purpose if they’re really trying to delay. It also allows him to manage the technical instead of sanctioning the technical.

Granted none of us were at this match he was on. So we don’t know how public his talking to her for standing near the ball. But I’d wager by some of the reactions it wasn’t as public as a clock stopping, holding up the restart and allowing the player to get there and publicly acknowledging he is fully aware of the tactic. Then they wouldn’t try it to begin with… or maybe they would still anyways and they aren’t as smart as we give them credit.

just my 2 cents

Baka_Shinpan and Law5 repped this.
  22. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    Like I said I didn’t make a big public display like stopping the clock and all that. I handled it like a regular game. Went to her when she was doing the fake fixing her socks crap, told her I know what she’s doing, cut it out. So clearly she took that as “ok I won’t stand in front of the ball fixing my socks anymore”. And having her take the throw in was clearly a delay tactic as they were up by one both times. I loudly called out her number and told her LET’S GO and then she threw it. Everyone knew who that player was, her PI, and what she was doing after. Then she does the most egregious act after two verbal warnings, yet another throw in delay attempt coming all the way over for no reason despite being verbally warned about that once, coming all the way over to take a throw, 3-4 fake throws, then drops it for someone else to take. Good bye, see ya.

23. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    A player crossing the field to take a throw it that doesn't take the throw in is guilty of DR. A player that has been warned twice shouldn't get more discretion. I feel like we talk quite a bit about bending the rules to make the HS game a bit more like the FIFA game. Letting this go would be a player continuing to get away with something because they haven't been punished before.

We can always find a way to keep a player in the game, but from this description, I'd say the player earned her 2CT.

Venture5, gaolin, dadman and 6 others repped this.
  24. Pelican86

Pelican86 Member

United States
    Jun 13, 2019
    I've had 15 HS matches since January 1st. 4 CR, 6 duals, 5 ARs. 6 red cards (two given by me, four when I was AR). 1 DOGSO, 2 2CT, 3 abusive language (including one to a coach). And I've given three dissent yellows to coaches.

The good news is that I feel a lot less bothered by this stuff than I did two or three years ago.

25. Pelican86

Pelican86 Member

United States
    Jun 13, 2019
    And to top it off, I had two more games today (JV/V boys) and the varsity game had a really silly DOGSO red by the GK.