Bad news trickles in.

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by Weymouth Dave, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Weymouth Dave

Weymouth Dave Member

Mar 4, 2001
    Weymouth
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would seem that the league will announce tomorrow that FC Gold Pride and the Washington Freedom are folding.

2. zz0120

zz0120 New Member

Sep 1, 2010
    New England
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    I really hope not. This is bad timing before the WC next year.
    As one of the best Women's soccer nations, it is another shame...
    What about german frauen bundesliga? anybody knows how they run the league vs. WPS?

3. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    And apparently Boston and Chicago haven't paid in full for 2011 yet either... according to Jeff Kassouf. I'm used to Boston being the model team for the league - the one with its act together - so this news upsets me a bit. Between this and the USWNT's must-win situation, women's soccer is causing me a lot of stress right now.

I would love a comment from someone in the Breakers organization right now, even if it's bad news. Just how dire is this situation? What are the chances this league will exist next year? Is there anything we can do to help (well, buy/renew season tickets, but other than that)?

4. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    wow, thanks for the link - I will probably post it in the general news forum. It's surprising to me too that Boston is now on the line (and that they "declined to comment" - thanks, guys). This is the team with the best attendance, so I'm guessing the failure to pay in full has to do with the other teams and skepticism that the league will go on next year. I'm really bummed.

5. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007
    As a New England Patriots fan, I understand why "no comment" can be a frustrating response. On the other hand, there is something to be said for organizational consistency.

We've never commented on other teams' finances, nor how they impact or reflect on our internal decision making. We've been very consistent with this and while I might prefer that other clubs follow our lead, clearly there are differences in style and approach.

For example, several teams issued impassioned declarations of commitment on their websites in the wake of Athletica's midseason shutdown. One of those teams now faces an uncertain future that has been widely reported on. In contrast, there are clubs like ours that quietly went about their day-to-day business back then and continue to do so today.

Repeatedly finding occasion to pronounce your own stability eventually produces the opposite effect on public opinion.

6. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    I understand not wanting to comment on other teams and their financial situations, and I agree that some of these impassioned declarations have the opposite effect than was intended. But, today's article specifically calls out this organization. We're not asking for you to comment on FCGP or the Freedom. We want to know how the Breakers are doing. (Which, I understand, may have something to do with how other teams are doing.)

7. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bad news indeed. :eek:

As much as I'd like to be able to force people to support womens soccer...you just can't do it. I've been defending "womens" soccer to "mens" soccer fans for 15 years....It is a tedious process that has had little success. (Just like us "mens" soccer fans defending soccer to "real" sports fans)

I'd also like to have the ability to spend other people's money and make financial decisions for them....Like many on various message boards love to do but that's just not fair....

I've been upset with WPS and the teams the lack of transparency in regards to player contract status' etc but I can't find fault with these clubs "owners" keeping their financial dealings/decisions at least somewhat private....

I guess all we can do is sit tight, root on the USWNT tonight, and hope for the best....

Good Luck Andy,

Good Luck WPS!

8. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Andy - thanks so much for your (prompt!) response. I appreciate this and the fact that this organization doesn't make false statements about it's state of affairs. We have seen other teams declare their stability and then find out not long after that things are not so. I know this is because of the tremendous uncertainty right now and that things are changing week to week. I hope the league can work things out soon and present itself once again as a unified organization with a more certain future. Good luck to you.

9. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Andy - I completely agree with you - we have chosen the same path as Boston and have not made any public statements regarding this situation. Time will answer all questions.

10. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    Sky blue the team that has had how many coaches in your short history? Sky blue the team that has had player personal issues. Please don't act like your organization is on some high road. When it was time to talk on some issues you also kept quite.

Sorry guys but your don't have a 20 something team league. I believe the league being small made many teams feel they owed an explanation on current situations. I also feel that the lack of media interest in the league also has made teams feel like they needed to provide updates.

11. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some people just can't help themselves. We're lucky at BigSoccer that we have some GMs and other people from the teams and, occasionally, the league post here and answer questions. They don't have to do it and I can't imagine why they would if they're just going to be treated rudely when they're here.

It's really unnecessary.

12. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Thanks for beating me to that. I was going to lead more to their post was nonsensical blabbering.

I feel bad for everyone involved in the entire league. Fans, players, team staff. U.S. women's soccer is at their lowest point ever. And if this league dies the future looks very, very grim.

13. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    KOLA Please let me put on my big fluffy gloves to hold their hands.

Whats rude?? As I read the postings by those two GM's they are high fiveing each other for saying nothing and putting down the other GM's for coming out and trying to state their positions! In fact went on to say that one team claimed their commitment and now faces an uncertain future. Nice-What are they calling that organization?

So what are you saying KOLA its ok for them to criticize their peers for how they handled their situation but not for us to critique them? Give me a break.

If they had a commissioner of the league we would have more of the answers.They would be coming from one source. I believe many of the owners and GM's would be out of the line of fire. But this is what the owners wanted so guess what grow up and take responsibility to answer the hard questions! I believe the Sky Blue owner was the big supporter for owners running the league with no comish!

So for the GM's who are standing up and giving updates good for you. For the ones who go on with your day to day and time will answer all questions stay on the sidelines. So if the league fails you can just walk away and if it sticks around you can see we never blinked.

14. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, obviously, I wouldn't expect you to have any idea. Nor is it my place to try to get you to clam up. Normally, I would just ignore you as I usually do. But now and then I think it's important to show some guests here that they're welcome and that some of us/many of us/hopefully most of us aren't like you and appreciate their coming by even if we may disagree with some of their decisions.

15. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the German league professional?

16. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    KOLA-

What are you 18? Instead of insulting me why not discuss what I write. I mean should ILISA KESSLER clam up too? She is doing a hell of a lot more then the two just showing up and letting time tell! Does truth hurt so much? You can stand with those two and I will go with the ones that at least fight for the league. You entertain your guests. Either way this league goes I can't wait to read your posts.

http://www.mercurynews.com/opinion/ci_16566707?nclick_check=1

17. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No further response necessary from me at this time.

18. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Classy kola. Rep'd. Online forums are usually great places for sharing information and meeting people, but just like real life the downside is the people you meet are not always positive, mature or community-oriented.

19. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on how you define "professional." From what I can glean, many of the top players to get compensation for playing. Same with Sweden/France. Some of that compensation is a free apartment and/or vehicle.

But players generally also have other jobs or are students (especially or primarily if they're in their home country). Insert running joke from Rivalry about most Germany WNT players being physical therapists and/or athletic trainers. Of course, our young talent (eg Popp/Kulig are ~20) are all students, too, they're just not playing top flight ball.

Bonnie Lass posted that Nordby made $122,000 in '09 from her time with OL.

Thanks for repping. I'm out for kolabear

20. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always wondered why there weren't many Germans playing in WPS.

21. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the main reason is that the German Federation has been pushing to keep its top women at home to prepare for the WWC. If WPS is still around in 2012, I think we'll see more of them.

22. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    To the GM's,

I'm sorry but IMO, silence is sometimes ridiculous. You're not the only ones who are vested in this league. How about your fans? Your season ticket holders? Season ticket holders who have already paid?
    I have paid and I have no idea if I will be watching a WPS game in Chicago next season. Or did I just flush my money down the toilet? So you may say time will tell, but I don't want to wait for time to tell me. I've spent money on a promise and belief that there will be a season next year and I held off buying Chicago Fire season tickets to buy Red Stars season tickets first.
    So I do want to know what is going on and I want to know it often.

23. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    thank you MRAD...I am glad I am not the only ones who isn't wearing kid gloves.

24. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I understand your frustration, but I'm not even sure they know what's going on. I do feel that if they didn't care about the fans then they just would have let things go in the tank, cut their loses, and split. We often talk of the owners assuming the risk of operating a team, but we forget we incur a risk in supporting teams as well. Everyone knows how the first league turned out. We're all in this thing on faith and for our love of the sport. I wish good vibes to you and I hope everything works out for the owners, league, and fans.

25. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What Andy Crossley is doing is right. Go complain on your own forums and stop mucking up ours. The Breakers are taking the right path and that is all I have to say about that.