Bad news for Brazil?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Guigs, Jan 22, 2013.

1. PapaDoc23

PapaDoc23 Member

Apr 9, 2012
    Brooklyn,New York
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Spain is still the favorite. people keep talking about Xavi and Iniesta getting old but they forget about Thiago,Cazorla, Busquets,Silva,Tello etc. people said the same thing before Euro 2012 h and look what happened. Spain has depth in the midfield the reason I think they will lose is because somebody will figure out to stop the tiki taka style. Either through saturating the midfield(3-5-2 or 3-4-3) to clog up passing lanes with effective counter attack or by keep pressing Spains defense by winning the midfield battle. To defeat Spain you need to win the midfield battle. There are a couple of teams out there that have the talent in the midfield to do the Spanish job. Some team will figure it all out.

2. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Too many times we have seen defending champions bring the same aging stars to their title defense and not do very well, last 3 actually, I'm just looking for that trend to continue, it's very hard to replace players that are proven champions. I'm wondering if Xavi is not at his best physical form, same for Puyol, Casillas, David villa. That is 4 of their top 5 players from their 2010 wc championship, you don't replace that.

And you can't also discount that. People thought France was going to be good in 2002, didn't happen, brazil 2006 and then Italy in 2010.

If you guys look at it objectively you will be able to see it also, it's not a bias or anything like that, it's just reality people get old. And I just feel like Italy is in the best position out of the top contenders right now.

3. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    I thin Brazil's situation turned really bad really quick because of Felipao and his idea of starting the team anew. You can't do that with less than a year of the confed cup and a bit more than a year to the World Cup. National teams are not Like clubs which 1 year is an eternity since u can train everyday and practice formations and such, especially the Brazilian nt where most players don't even play in the same league and don't see each other ever

4. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Again: I'm not saying Spain will succeed in 2014. But that's different from saying they are no contender.

Look at it objectively, people get old etc? You know, Spain won Euro 2012. How quickly can you get **** from that? Not in two years, when you have depth like Spain does. Puyol didn't play, neither did Villa. Goalkeeping als is not a worry to Spain, even if Casillas wouldn't play. They'd still have, say, the starting keepers of clubs like Barca and ManU in their squad. Age is not a worry to Spain - lots and lots of not-too-old players in Spain.

Bottomline: Spain has weaknesses, sure, and they are far from given to succeed - but like it or not, they're one of the biggest favourites (if not the biggest) in 2014. Previous champions have failed before, but it doesn't mean that a reigning champion should pre-tournament not considered a favourite - especially when they've continuously played like champions after their WC win, and their players shine at top club level as well.

That said: I'm cool agreeing to disagree, as this really is a subject that if you think Spain is no serious contender in 2014, there's not much one can say. I mean, reasonable debate is forgotten at that point.

5. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Puyol and Villa played no part in their Euro triumph, so why would it matter that they're not part of the side anymore?

6. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Thiago, Carzola, Busquets, Silva and Tello... sounds more like morrientes, raul, hierro, zubizarreta, abelardo, sergi, nadal, than the players going into their 4th world cup, Puyol, Casillas, Xavi, Iniesta...

wanna put that in years? between the first world cup they participated to the next one it will be 12 years.... that generation of spaniard hit their prime and were a whole lot better than the current generation or previous generations.

that's why they won all they have.

7. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Hmm south americans using history, to debate a team that's broken history, and made history.

8. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I wonder how many Brazilians will reach the quarter final stage of the UCL with their teams this year.

9. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    9 already made it to the quarters with 17 more still playing

that alone is more players than the amount of germans playing outside their country

[]__[]

10. snahdog

snahdog Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Atlanta
    when you have a good league, you don't need to play outside of your country

11. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Still not as many as the number of germans who are still going in the CL despite almost all of them playing domestically...boom

12. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    A lot of Europeans play outside of their own country.. umm I guess such league does not exist.

13. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

you both sound like english fans.....the typical response you get from them when you ask them why not many english players are playing overseas they say is because they have the best league in the world and rather stay in a low level english team than a big club overseas
    the fact is the talent is just not there and that's why the arent many overseas..... if they were world class great players the big clubs will come calling just like ozil and khedira.... staying to play with bayern munich is one thing because that's as big a club as any in the world but that's the only big club in germany
    []__[]

14. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So true, Dortmund is a crap club that only finished first in a group with the English champions, the Spanish Champions, and the Dutch champions. Any chump who stays with them clearly doesn't have the class of someone like Neymar, who's proving his class at a world class club...

15. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Also I totally agree that the german CL clubs are exactly the same as english CL clubs, corporate teams filled with imports that only achieve their success because of those foreigners, I mean look at Dortmund, 1 of their 5 best players isn't german! That's disgraceful, if they were any good the entire starting 11 would be only germans!...

16. snahdog

snahdog Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Atlanta
    which one is it now? try to synchronize your arguments because you are saying the exact opposite.

17. snahdog

snahdog Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Atlanta
    You forgot money and comfort as possible reasons. Which is exactly the same reasons that many Brazilian fan boys cite when they proclaim that the Brazilian league will dominate in the future: since Brazilian clubs may in the future be able to pay higher salaries, Brazilians might be less inclined to leave the comforts of home.

PS: Dortmund outclassed both the English and Spanish champions in the CL.

18. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Maybe because you're talking about 2 different people that don't know each other

:ROFLMAO:

puertorricane repped this.
  19. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    His world class club competed with last's years world champion more times than Dortmund faced the European Champion last year.. what's your point again?

20. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My point was that it's obviously a sign of how useless players are if they don't move onto a big club, like the dortmund kids and Neymar, if they had any real class they'd play for Barca, Real, Juve or United.

21. snahdog

snahdog Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Atlanta
    2 different people that happen to be trying to argue the same point, but are using contradictory reasoning.

:ROFLMAO:

22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Brasil should never have bid to host. Every other longtime power that's won the Cup has won at home, and that just puts more pressure on the Selecao. No previous winner has hosted twice without winning.

23. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The original poster I was replying to was trying to imply that there werent many good brasilians playing in europe by asking how many were making it to the quarterfinals. It's be proven time and time again no other country export more players and more talent than brasil with thousands playing around the world.

[]__[]

24. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And almost nobody of them to the quarters of the cl

25. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    if we're using different points of view.. we might be arguing towards different things.. I'm not going to quote somebody else claiming that you said the same thing.. because.. YOU DIDN'T hahahahaha come on man!!