Bad Fortune - The end for Quinton

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by RedFriday, Mar 31, 2006.

1. RedFriday

RedFriday New Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Alex has given it to Fortune straight...

Fortune set for Man Utd departure

Fortune has made 126 appearances for Manchester United
    Manchester United will release South African utility man Quinton Fortune at the end of the season.
    The 28-year-old has not featured for Sir Alex Ferguson's side this term and has been plagued by injuries during a seven-year stint at Old Trafford.

"We have a lot of good young players in his position, so we are not going to be renewing his contract," said Ferguson.

"He has been a great servant and played some terrific games for us and I think next season he will get a good club."

Fortune joined the Red Devils from Spanish club Atletico Madrid for £1.5m in August 1999.

He has won several trophies with the club but failed to cement a regular first-team place and has filled in at left-back and in the centre of midfield at times.

Ferguson added: "Quinton came to see me this week and asked what his future was going to be because his contract was up at the end of the season.

"I explained the situation to him the best I could, which was not easy because he is such a great lad."

Shame really his pace made a difference in some matches. Shame he was forever under the knife...

2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    The only disappointing aspect to all of this is that we won't get any money for him. :p

3. gazza

gazza Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Shouldn't this thread be titled "Good Fortune....". I like Q but it's time for him to stop soaking up cash in the training room.

4. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Already groomed his replacement.

5. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Never really felt he was Man Utd Quality, though he did put in some good performances and played with a lot of heart and energy .... a bit like Fletcher ;)

Though we have no money for him, he is another midfielder off the wage bill which should make the financial case for getting some decent central mids in more easy to make ...

6. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sad about Quinton, but he had to go and I'd be lying if I say I won't miss him... not a great talent, but a great player for the way he played the game.