Bacary Sagna - ours

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by PsychedelicCeltic, Jul 10, 2007.

1. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    right back, £7.5m from Auxerre, 24 years old.

Looks like Eboue might have to shape up or ship out this year.

2. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Re: Bakary Sagna - ours

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2122862,00.html

3. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra

Nothing on the Arse page. Maybe tomorrow. Good news though.

4. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Psych, I don't mean to have a go, but please don't start a thread saying we've signed someone when there's no quotes or proof that the deal is done. Had enough of that this year to be honest.

On top of that, I put this news in the transfer thread a few hours ago.

5. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London

With all due respect, there's at least two or three sources claiming this deal is basically done barring a relevation that Sagna in fact has no knee cartiledge, and there isn't much news on this board.

The transfer thread is unwieldly (exhibited by the fact we've signed someone and about 10 people commented) and buries topics easily (checked pages 6 and 7...nothing on Sagna).

So I believe this deserves its own thread.

6. Smalls123

Smalls123 Member

Feb 1, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Basically done. Not completely done. Huge difference.

Well at least we will all know who jinxed it when we don't end up signing him ;)

7. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

IF true, I'd be very happy with this, even never having seen Sagna play because I'm not a big fan of Eboue. Has Wenger ever said anything about converting Eboue into a wing half, because that would be very exciting. Or are we talking out of our collective hat on this?

8. sienna

sienna Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Malaysia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  9. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

There is no-one undergoing a medical today for Arsenal as far as the person who would know has said to me.

10. GoonerMan

GoonerMan New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Essex,England
  11. meyers

meyers Member

Jun 11, 2003
    W. Mass
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My thoughts exactly, and I'll bet Wenger's too. I think I remember Eboue playing on the right wing a couple of times. It would use his better strengths (going forward).

12. akofman12345

akofman12345 New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    San Jose

Eboue's crosses are really fantastic. Man Utd anyone? Hleb could really use some competition for his spot! Now that Walcott is healthy and Eboue is supposedly going to be our new RM, this is nothing but good news for the club.

But i have the same concerns as everyone else, does this mean the end of our transfer season? I would say we could use another forward, but is Wenger really going to splash some cash on another one? Unless Wenger gets a really top notch world class signing, i don't think this team needs another signing, the squad is pretty much finalized.

v. Persie (Adebayor)-----Eduardo (Bendtner)
    Rosicky (Freddie)-Cesc( Denilson, Song)--Gilberto( Diaby)--Hleb(Eboue, Theo)
    Clichy (Traore)------Gallas (Senderos)-----Toure (Djourou)--- Sagna (Hoyte)
    Mad Jens (Fabianski)

Your 2007-2008 Premier League Champions???

13. goonsquad

goonsquad Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not so sure that he would be as effective. He only has the one move to create space for himself, otherwise it's Hleb occupying defenders that allows him to get forward. I'm not sure how well he would do as a mainly attacking player.

14. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well if this means that Eboue is moving to RM then I have to say it is an intriguing signing.

As much as I would like to sign another striker I just don't see how we do it.

It seems to me that we have our troika(Dudu, RVP, Ade) plus Bendtner for league cup matches.

Would some journeyman striker really help the squad?

I am far more concerned about this team having width and perhaps Eboue might be able to offer some. If Arsene thinks so, who am I to question him.

15. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well I think it would change our form quite a bit. Right now one of the problems we have, IMO, is that Hleb and Rosicky play too similar of a style which narrows the pitch. Having a winger who is just as keen to go wide and deliver a killer cross could provide a more dynamic attack especially when RVP is playing a right-side striker.

16. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Not quite champions yet.

1 more striker, and maybe 1 true winger and I'd say you are begining to look at champion material.

Striker should be someone who doesn't need time to adapt(martins).
    Winger - well anyone would do really. Anyone who can be a game changer. If rosicky or hleb are out injured, the players who replace them are not threatening players in the least(goals or assist wise).

Eduardo and bendtner have to adjust to the league, and given bendtners style of play in addition to playing at the top level for the first time in his career, and you can see that he won't contribute much this year. Eduardo on the other hand could be immense once he has adjusted(about 5-6 months or so).

Freddie has become just another warm body to throw on the field, walcott won't really start to shine until he gets moved to striker I feel.

For the first half of the season we are pretty much relying solely on RVP to get us goals, and that concerns me.

17. Rungostar

Rungostar Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Washington, DC

Do you really think there's any way Sagna relegates Eboue to the bench next year? We all know that Wenger likes people at the position he chooses. Perhaps Sagna is the Gallas replacement???

18. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I really hope not. The last thing we need is another short central defender.

19. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Rick informs us of the truth after he puts down the
    red Gooner phone.

20. Rungostar

Rungostar Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Washington, DC

How tall is the Bak?

21. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

5'9"

22. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

BTW, Wikipedia is reporting it as a done deal....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakari_Sagna

FWIW

23. Rungostar

Rungostar Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Washington, DC

The Bak playing Right Back. I like the sound of that.

And starting at right back tonight ... The Bak.

You're right. He is short.

24. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend

That's because neither of them are natural wingers. They both ran the offensive show before they came to North London.

Funny how moving to the wider home pitch we haven't exploited the extra width as you might expect.

It might be, though, that Wenger wants players who won't stay stuck out on the wing, but have the ability to create in towards the middle? I miss Pires. I miss Overmaars.

This Sagna's an interesting signing. Wenger hasn't said much of anything in ages, has he???

25. AFCfan4ever

AFCfan4ever New Member

May 8, 2005
    Collins, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LOL do you really think Arsene is paying 6 or 7 mil. for a RB that'll come sit on the bench???

Come on now.

Sagna will push Eboue and probably take his spot, he's MUCH better defensively and adequate enough going forward.