Baby Got MLS Back Tournament

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by SabreKhan, Jun 11, 2020.

1. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm fairly certain that nobody is coming knocking on his door right now. Though, to be fair, he did win silverware just last year, so maybe.

If he makes zero adjustments for the Columbus game, though, I'm going to be seriously searching the coaching ranks for suggestions to Eales.

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yeah, the US Open Cup matters, even if it's not a league title. I kind of think of it as being like the FA Cup- it's part of a legit treble, but you have to win CONCACAF and the league title for it to really stand out. That Campeones Cup thing? Meh. I think our fans make too much of that (read: they make more of it than Club America's fans would have made of it had they won), which is a major faux pas.

I think a lot of us wanted him gone in the early-mid 2019 season, but he made the concessions he needed to make for the team he has and they turned it around/Toronto beat NYCFC/Seattle beat LAFC. If Josef just lets someone else take that PK, we host Seattle in the League Championship final and everything's fine. I don't blame Frank for what happened last season- honestly, I blame Josef for not putting the team ahead of his own belief in his ability in that one single moment. Everything fell into place for us to have another successful season and then the save, and then DeLeon.

I'm not placing any value on this tournament at all, and I'm hoping whoever wins it doesn't try to play like it's the MLS Cup for 2020. As far as I'm concerned, we get a goal, we go home healthy, I'm good with that.

Going forward... Gress, LGP, Tito, and Nagbe are all gone, Parky's retired, Garza's at Cincy, Miggy's at Newcastle, and JM7's out with an ACL. The team that went to Orlando is nothing like the team that brought us success in 2018. Some of this is on the FO. We don't have a like replacement for Almiron yet (they don't grow on trees). We were supposed to get Arzamendia and someone else, and that didn't happen, either. I don't know if it was because they didn't offer enough money or what. Instead, we got Jahn, Emo, Meza, Mulraney, plus some guys who may end up being better than the league.

We're due to get a Paraguyan named Erik Lopez soon, or so we're told. He and (H)ossetto may be part of the answer to us getting back where we belong. But as of right now, Wiki has Lopez at AU2, which may mean he's not here to help us win, but to be developed for money.

3. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I am just going to leave this here... I actually hope Orlando beats LAFC tonight.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  4. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a weird way, I do too...

It doesn’t do us any good if Orlando City is always the bottom feeders in the league. We need a real rivalry. And if I had to concede a year for Orlando City to prance around like Mickey Mouse, I’d pick 2020.

So long as once they get cocky, we beat them 5-0.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  5. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Well they did it. Maybe we can get a Minnesota - Orlando Baby Got Back final.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oh, they're still gonna hate us for a while yet, and my guess is that they're a bit giddy about our nonperformance in the tournament. But I think they're going to end up with Inter as their rivals* sooner rather than later, and we'll have Nashville and Charlotte. Proximity matters, IMO. Of course, I'm closer to Nashville than CLT or ATL, so if MLS ever takes off for real, I'm sure to hear a lot more shit from them locally than I do from Orlando (I hear nothing from them around here).

*we don't have the years in the league for a real rivalry to exist, but there is the hate from them, and that's good enough for me. I don't hate Po'lando because they've never knocked us out of anything, never even beaten us. Their tears are kinda tasty, and that's about it. I don't even hate TFC, as they were defending their points record when they kept us from winning the 2018 Shield. Nor do I hate Columbus, because it took the game of their lives to eliminate us in 2017, and because they've been thru a lot of crap.

I don't like Seattle, at all, but they're practically on the other end of the continent from us.

Yep. The only team that's gonna think this season means as much as the previous and future seasons is the team that wins this tournament and whatever other competition ends up being finished. The whole rest of the league will probably give a collective "meh".

I'm willing to float an idea that if we end up beating them ten straight, we just abandon them as "rivals" and get on with Nashville.

7. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe this is just me, especially because I live in the Carolinas, but I’ll consider Charlotte, and even Nashville, a friendly rivalry, in the sense, I’ll pick and poke fun, but I’ll probably root for them so long as they’re not playing Atlanta (And Charlotte is going to have to be my very close #2 team). On the other hand, I live to see Orlando City do poorly.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I had a great time at the Nashville game. A couple of people sent me over to the other other side of the stadium when I asked where my seat was (diagonally- as far away as I could have been), but I didn't hold it against them. I was standing at ground level (behind the goal, in that food court under the jumbotron) eating some kind of Polish dog and looking at the big screen with a couple of NSC fans when Hyndman scored. One of them said, "Man, I don't care, that was a hell of a goal". We clinked beer cups and I said, "Welcome to the league, fellas. Good luck with the season", and then I went off to find my actual seat in the nosebleed AU section. Nashville was friendly to us, and we didn't say a lot of bad things about them, except the "You're welcome!" chant when they announced the attendance, lol. Orlando would never have treated us that well. I DO get why- we started the shit with that billboard and we've been finishing it ever since.

I don't think we're any more arrogant per capita than the average MLS team fan, but because we play in the Benz, there are a hell of a lot more of us to be vocal about it. Meaning, I truly think being able to see the games in person makes for more fans. If I can't get tix for a team, I'm probably not going to follow them as much as I do if I can. I suspect that's why I feel about Seattle the way a lot of MLSers feel about us. I love the Benz because I can see my team play when there are that many tix available. If we had a 20-25K max, it'd be sold out like Portland and I'd never get to see them. And because it's in a part of the city I still remember very well, even tho it's gone downhill a lot. And it's easy as hell to get to if you come in from SW (coming from Chattanooga is a SOB, with the traffic on I-75S, but it's almost like there's no game going on if you come from B'ham). I get off I-20 on Lowery and turn right on MLK, drive under the old pedestrian bridge at Morris Brown and I'm there. I park in that area for $20. I've seen the USMNT at Legion Field and at LP, but going under that bridge the first time and seeing the Benz rise up (lol) from the horizon and realizing I was about to see MY pro club was almost religious. Only one other time in my life have I really looked forward to being at a game, and that was getting to see Valdosta High gridiron and all the hype that accompanied it. They beat Reggie Ball's Stephenson team by a field goal in the playoffs at DMS.

I admit that I got a kick out of Orlando losing game after game to us and then going thru multiple managers, and Stupid Will Johnson's dive, and them saying Josef wouldn't break the scoring record at their place. I still revisit a couple of those games on YT- the 4-0 I saw from the 300s, and their Stupid Will Johnson game at DC. That's when they hit rock bottom, IMO. But I don't hate them. No reason to- they don't affect us like we do them.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Did I say final? I should have looked at the brackets... we'll get a Minnesota - Orlando semi-final. I going with the Loons in this one.

10. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I hate to say it, but since the board's interest in the tournament has dropped off the face of the earth I feel safe no one will read this post.... I am actually pulling for Orlando Shitty tonight.

11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, that's that. Mice 1-2 Axes.

I do wonder if the OCSC fans would have been more likely than Portland to pretend this is worthy of a shirt star if the reg season ends up being scrapped.

12. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    A star for a one month tournament? If the sneetches think they deserve one it should be on their bellies. I do hope the season starts up again, but I must admit I've lost a lot of interest in sports and have taken up outdoor activities like hiking, kayaking, and fishing. Ironic, because I'd finally scored season tickets for 2020 only to have everything go down the tubes after 1 game.