Baba Ganoush! We forgot to mention the 5/13 reserve game vs. Chivas

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Big Strong Patrick, May 12, 2007.

1. Big Strong Patrick

Big Strong Patrick That's so Gaven

Dec 9, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ten in the morning, Sunday @ Obetz if I'm not mistaken the Crew reserves will play Chivas. I'll bring a notebook for and early game recap so you won't have to wait for the MLS.com version.

2. Big Strong Patrick

Big Strong Patrick That's so Gaven

Dec 9, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another 1-1 tie.

1st half line-up
    Gaudette
    Moss, Marshall, Ryan Junge, Ward
    Sztella, Oughton
    Rogers, Kamara, Evans, Virtuoso

I always watch the game near the goal the The Crew are shooting on & Sigi came and sat near me in the first few minuets of the game. It was interesting to hear his take on the game, instructions to players & referees. There was three unquestionably wrong offsides calls against Virtuoso in the first half.

15th min (appox) GOAL, after 2 consecutive corner kicks, Marshall scores a foward jumping header.

26th min. Rogers hits the post.

39th min. Sztella misses wide-open header.

somewhere in there was a Chivas yellow for a foul on Virtuoso. Run of play in the first half was predominatly in favor of the Crew, in the sacond half the opposite was true.

2nd half Garey in Virtuoso out, Kamara takes Ricardo's spot on the field.

46th min breakaway & shot on goal by Rogers.

49th min Chivas GOAL, set piece starting on side of penalty box, 1st cross headed into goal.

53rd min. Chivas sub

57th min. Chivas sub

65th min. Chivas hits post

66th min. Crew corner by Rogers to Kamara, header hits post.

Kamara & Marshall out, Chandler & Zayner in.

67th min. Crew breakaway

74th min. Ward out (injury to face) #13? in

76th min. another Rogers breakaway, save by goalie in 1 vs.1 clash.

77th min. Sztella out, #32? in

80th min. Crew corner shortly after foul suffered by Oughton near corner.

85th min. Chivas yellow for foul against Rogers on another breakaway on the wing. resulting free-kick creates long scrum in front of Chivas' goal, ends with shot a few feet off target.

90th min. promising cross by Chandler.

I'm sure there was some more Chivas news than I reported but nothing too dangerous to mention.

3. pericles

pericles Member

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Thanks for the report. It's encouraging to see that Marshall and Zayner are playing.

4. calderone01

calderone01 Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Pickerington, OH
    Good to hear Marshall is back out there. Was he wearing the headgear for his concussions, Froggy?

5. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Marshall not wearing headgear, just a shorter haircut. Chad played well today, headed balls freely with no hesitation. Zayner played well also, better than Ward.

6. osubowler

osubowler Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't Zayner a starter last year before he got hurt? Can't remember if it was the first game or a couple into the season?

7. flagg24

flagg24 Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Findlay
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Zayners profile: http://columbus.crew.mlsnet.com/pla...=zayner_j&playerId=zay444955&statType=current

MLS Experience

Is in his second professional season, but did not see action in his first after suffering a torn ACL and cartilage tear in his left knee on 4/4/06... Selected by the Crew in the second round (No. 13 overall) of the 2006 MLS SuperDraft... A Generation adidas player, he does not count against the Crew's senior roster or salary cap.
    2006: Suffered a torn ACL and cartilage tear in his left knee at practice on 4/4 and was placed on season-ending injured reserve list on 4/28.

8. ami-berliner

ami-berliner Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Berlin
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also sounded like Rogers was active. That's good for club and country.

9. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, shouldn't Rogers, Szetela, and Ward be getting ready for an U-20 exhibition game in Rochester against the Argentines? Did they get the weekend off to be with their clubs or something?

Glad that Zayner and Marshall are looking healthier. Getting them back adds some depth to our defense that was scarily thin a few weeks ago. Still not golazo bonanza, even for a reserves match. Sounds like we need to improve our finishing confidence to capitalize on our good opportunities.

10. JohnJohn

JohnJohn New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Chino
    Hopefully he has his legs on Tuesday night against Argentina. I know he is young but thats a pretty quick turn around after playing 90. And from the looks of it he was pushing the whole match.