[B]Qual o melhor jogo desta epoca (em Portugal)?[/B]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by ERA_Verde, Jan 27, 2005.

1. ERA_Verde

ERA_Verde New Member

Dec 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    This is for the Webcast. By the way, you can vote for more than 1 game.

2. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This is an easy one....

3. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I was think of not voting because you got the incorrect score of the Benfica vs Sporting game, according to the rules the score was 10-9 :)

I did vote for that incorrect score of 7-6, what happen to the other 6 goals?

the second game was the Benfica vs Beira-Mar, but the Portuguese Cup game beat everthing

4. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Actually, Frank, the official score of the match was 3-3, with Benfica having an asterisk to indicate that they won 7-6 on penalties ;)

5. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I'm going to look around for the score, but according to the rules the score is 10-9, I don't think it change after all this years

6. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I voted for the Benfica vs Sporting match because it's still fresh in the mind and both teams played their hearts out :). Just a note, I think if some of the other matches had 60,000 plus fans in attendance, we might be more inclined to give them the 'title of best match of the year'. The atmosphere was electric and we don't get to see that often enough.

7. ERA_Verde

ERA_Verde New Member

Dec 21, 2004
    New Jersey
  8. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I was just kidding, I did vote for the game :rolleyes:

9. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Hopefully Braga's win vs Porto. :D

10. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's going to be tough for any game this year in Portugal to be better than the Benfica v Sporting game.

11. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    these season anything can happen, I believe will also have a full stadium for these game

Porto vs Braga

12. metro fan

metro fan Member

Apr 29, 1999
    Union, NJ
    No doubt about this. Yesterday's game

13. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Why isin't the Sporting-Benfica game there?
    Obviously a Benfica Poll!

14. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    you got ask Era-verde he his a big Sporting fan

15. ERA_Verde

ERA_Verde New Member

Dec 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    Not as good as these other games. I think we all agree that it was very one sided. Sporting dominated that game, Benfica defended for as long as it could but didn't play well at all.

16. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    I don't think you even have to ask. Anyone who saw Benfica-Sporting last night will tell you that was the game of the epoca.

First, a great crowd and a great atmosphere in a game that meant elimination for one team. Then, you had goals that came almost all together. Benfica took an early lead on a well taken free kick. Sporting bounces back 10 minutes later on a golasso from Viana to tie it. Liedson gives Sporting the lead 2 minutes later on a another great bomb that finds the back of the goal. In the 22nd minute, Geovanni ties it for Benfica on a rebound from a bomb by Petit. If that's not enough, Geovanni almost gets the hat trick streaking down the right flank and letting a shot rip only to have Tiago deny it well.

No goals in the second half, but, you still had some back and forth action. You had a spell of Sporting corner kicks for a period there where one had Sa Pinto just missing and sending his header over the bar. Viana again sent another rocket that went off Quim and the crossbar. The rebound comes back to Sporting and it's sent in on goal only to have Quim kick save it away. Geovanni comes back the other way and beats Paito again with some sick speed but sends the shot wide. Not even a minute later, Nuno Gomes is sent in and his shot is saved by Tiago again brilliantly. What more could you ask for from derby?

Yet, there was more. In the second extra time, you get Paito with the goal of the match as he intercepts a pass and nutmegs Luisao and beats Quim to his left to give Sporting what looked like a sure win with 10 men down and just about 7 minutes left. But, Simao still blasts a golasso (an amazing goal, but not even the best from that game if you can believe it) to tie it for Benfica and send the match into penalty kicks.

The first five kicks for both Benfica and Sporting were excellent and neither goalkeeper could stop them. The sixth were well placed too for both teams. Alcides nailed the eventual winner while Miguel Garcia's was well placed too. But, unfortunately it missed by inches. Inches.

By the time the game was over you were left wondering if you'd ever see a match like that again. It was like two heavyweight fighters trading fierce knockout blows and both withstood them and held on for the bell.

A classic.

Let's hope more of these type of games can come this year.

17. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    You did a great job describing the game. Well done.