[B]Did Mexico deserve their seed? Or did the U.S. get snubbed?[/B]

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by anthony85, Dec 7, 2005.

1. anthony85

anthony85 New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    UC Berkeley
    I feel that Mexico's seed is undeserved. The United States has been the better team recently. The U.S. MNT's performance in '98 was dismal and is probably the reason why they weren't one of the top seeds. But recently the U.S. has gone further than Mexico in a WC and has won the most recent Gold Cup while Mexico got eliminated early.

2. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Mexico deserves that seed IMHO...

3. edvc_van

edvc_van New Member

Oct 12, 2005
    Canada
    It is not about being better or worse. It is about facts and actual results. Mexico has performed better with stronger teams outside concacaf. The us on the other hand hasn't done that much outside the region.

4. ecuajhony

ecuajhony New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Maryland-Laurel
    that maryjane must be good!!!!!!!!

are u smoked dude?????

5. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    neither deserved it

6. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is probably closest to the truth with teams like Holland and Sweden not making it, but again, it's a mathematical number so those numbers don't lie. How FIFA tweaks those numbers to get what they want is another story altogether, but for the criteria they set out, the results are correct. With any luck, Mexico will get Holland, Serbia-Montenegro and the Ivory Coast and a quick return trip to Tijuana...

7. edvc_van

edvc_van New Member

Oct 12, 2005
    Canada
    Well Mexico has been with teams of that caliber and advanced, even in first place.

8. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Yes they did.

9. pura_vida362

pura_vida362 Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Mississauga, Canada
    neither team deserved it i think holland should have got it (yes i know they didnt qualify for 2002)

10. robby241

robby241 New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    US
    did mexico deserve a seed? based on direct competition within Concacaf, no. the US is a superior team period. Mexico has had better success outside of Concacaf. thats what did it for them unfortunately. FIFA got what they wanted. big deal.

11. Titan 7

Titan 7 Member

Feb 17, 2003
    Tres Rios, CR
    Neither USA or Mexico deserve to be seeded, they haven´t proved anything recently, Mexico never passes the 2nd round, and the USA was last in France 98, they did better in ******/Korea but both teams have still have a lot to prove.

12. elcombo

elcombo New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    mexico deserves that seed. just because you beat them this year doesnt really make usa top seeded team. mexico is a team of tradition look at their performance in the confederations cup, copa america. if usa would actually play cups against real teams then i would give such respect.

13. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia
    Mexico definitely deserved that seeding. They have always had better overall results against international competition far more than the US. :)

If anything, Italy doesn't deserve to be a seeded team. :eek:

14. Goofy

Goofy Member

Jun 10, 2005
    support for oneself.
    Well, that's the point!!!!
    Why do you think they call it the WORLD cup??
    The USMNT may be happily satisfied with beating Mexico within Concacaf... but Mexico has gained a lot more by beating Brazil, Argentina, etc. in official, international competitions.
    When was the last time US beat Brazil in a non-friendly match (or friendly, for that matter)?

15. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1998 in a friendly

since then we've lost
    1-0 in 99 in Confederations Cup
    2-1 in 01 in friendly
    1-0 in 03 in Confederations Cup
    2-1 in extra time in 03 in Gold Cup

16. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goofy thats why the rankings are flawed. It doesnt take into consideration you beat reserve Brazilian teams. If your gonna base your whole argument in beating Brazil B teams TWICE in the Aztec then thats naive. Your best win vs Brazil was in the Confed 05 cup. BUT is that grounds for deserving a seed?? we beat Brazil and you didint?? So have other South America teams in WCQ. Then maybe Ecuador deserves to get seeded since they beat Brazil in a bigger stage, WCQ.
    Maybe Paraguay???

Overall neither Mexico or USA deserve the seed, but neither did Holand for missing the 02 WC. Its not like being seeded is gonna gurantee a ticket to the next rd. Mexico was rewarded for making it to the 2nd rd for 3 straight WC. I won't take that away from them because its a difficult feat to accomplish. We learned that the hard way in 98.

17. Sir Slickniss

Sir Slickniss New Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Why is it that Americans are hating so much on Mexico becaues they got the Seed, are you guys blind, Fifa has a system, it involves the consistency of world cups and their ranking throughout the years.....they just didnt say Mexico, heres your seed, truly retarded when arguing against a system, that is not biased towards the american public like everything else

18. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Americans are hating on Mexico (not me, I feel Mexico deserves athe seed more than the USA, for this WC at least) so much because as our rival, THATS WHAT YOU DO!!

And if it was the other way around, thats what any good Mexican fan would be doing too, hating on the US.

Lee

19. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    What the Tico said.

For too many reason to post repeatedly.

Hopefully we (the US) will continue to progress and then we will be able to get a seed over Mexico next time.

20. anthony85

anthony85 New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    UC Berkeley
    Consider this:

If Mexico would have finished First in WCQ, they wouldn't have received the seed they got. ;)

21. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    umm...

22. Pottermaniac

Pottermaniac New Member

Nov 28, 2004
    RGV, texas
    Yeah, i heard Panama was a tough fight. by the way, Mexico did not took its first team to the gold cup and the ones that played from the first team were exhausted so i bet many were wishing to go home sooner, after playing beating Brazil and playing over time against Argentina and germany, of course this teams are not as strong as Panama, but they still tired. :D

by the way, that edition of the gold cup was meaningless, the winner of the '07 edition will define who goes to the confederations cup of '09

while we are in the subject of a gold cup, I dont see why you guys hould not win it everytime, after all, you've hosted every single edition. :D

23. Pottermaniac

Pottermaniac New Member

Nov 28, 2004
    RGV, texas
    "You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later."

24. Pottermaniac

Pottermaniac New Member

Nov 28, 2004
    RGV, texas
    First of all, some american fans are showing how much they envy Mexico with all this arguments, I dont think Fifa cares about who finished first in concacaf, specially if it was decided on goal difference. Nor do care if Mexico beat Brazil in the confederations cup, tha game is only relevant to the ranking, they got a few points cause Brazil is ranked No.1 adn for being an official fifa tournament.

what decided the seeds was teh consistancy in the world cups + ranking.

25. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Nah, Mexico deserved the seed. If the US makes past the second round this world cup then they can definetly claim the seed.