Azzurri--Best All-Time Matches

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Sempre, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They have a thread like this in the Brazil forum. Naturally
    it's quite lively, because Brazil have played a few decent
    matches over the years ;) , but I like to think we too
    can discuss the most beautiful, most inspiring, games the
    Azzurri have played over the years.

They may be your personal favorites, or they may be
    games that, for you, defined the essence of Italian soccer.

Mine, to start:

1. Italia - Nigeria WC '94

89 minutes of suffering at the hands of the acrobatic
    Nigerians. Zola red-carded; Maldini yellow-carded for a
    hugely illegal foul on a Nigerian forward who had broken
    away for a tu per tu (Maldini hooked his arm under the
    forward's, tugged hard, and both of them fell backward
    violently). Then Baggio equalized beautifully with a
    daisy-cutter. I can still remember the expression on his
    face as he ran off to celebrate: relieved, angry, full
    of adrenaline. In extra time we sealed it by drawing a
    pk from one of the hard-tackling Nigerian defenders.

Baggio killed the game with a moral-rattling kick--it
    struck the very inside of the crossbar and swept in. A
    win by means of furbizia and skill. Beautiful.

2. Italia - Ollanda Euro 2000

One of my favorite games of all time. In Holland, in a
    stadium filled with orange-clad supporters, the Dutch
    team that had just crushed Jugoslavia 6-1 was outsmarted
    by the Italians. This was Nesta's best game of all time--
    possibly the best example of pure defending in the history
    of Italian soccer.

With 10 men the Azzurri braved every Dutch attack,
    nullified each wave of pressure, and even--toward the
    end of the game--created a few golden chances to seal
    it through Totti and Delvecchio.

The best was the penalty shoot-out: Toldo was immense;
    Totti absolutely shattered the Dutch morale with a delicately
    chipped penalty that left all Azzurri supporters with their
    hearts in their mouths. A game to make one proud.

Yours?

2. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Italy vs Spain at USA 94 was a very good match. After the Nigeria clash, Italy were still playing very well defensively and on the counter-attack. Spain had most of the possession but we were much better going forward and most of our chances were more threatening. Dino Baggio scored from around 25 metres after 25 minutes and 14 minutes into the second half, Spain scored with a deflected shot. Italy should have scored another before half-time. Italy were on the counter-attack and I think Massaro supplied a through-ball to Antonio Conte but Conte had shot too early and the shot went wide. When Berti came on in the second half, he came close to making the score 2-1 but Zubizarreta pushed Berti's shot over the bar. Salinas had the best chance to win it for the Spagnoli, he was metre in front of Pagliuca and could have dribbled past Pagliuca or lobbed it over him. Instead his weak shot went straight into Pagliuca. After 88 minutes the Azzurri got the winner. The Azzurri were on the counter-attack (what's new), Signori touched a high ball which he scooped over a defender and ended up colliding with that defender. Signori's ball went into the path of Roberto Baggio who dribbled past Zubizarreta towards Zubi's left side and scored from a very tight angle. Towards the end, Mauro Tassotti elbowed Luis Enrique and he wasn't sent off but he received a ban for seven matches in the aftermath. Otherwise, it was a very good encounter.

Italy vs Austria at Italia 90 has to be the best match I've seen with a 1-0 scoreline. Italy just kept on attacking but their finishing was their downfall. Carnevale had about four chances, Vialli had at least three, Ancelotti hit the post, De Agostini had a shot that deflected off a defender and it nearly looped over the goalie, Lindenburger but the Austrian keeper tipped it over the bar. That's only for starters. If Schillaci didn't come on, I don't think Italy would have won 1-0. Instead, it would have been an anti-climatic draw.

3. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    It's not well-remembered because it wasn't in the finals of a tournament but was a WC qualifier in March of 2001. Italy had a tricky match in Bucharest against a tough Romania side which at that time was a consistent qualifier for WC and ECs: winning their qualifying groups in 1990, 1994, 1996, 1998, and 2000. It was rainy, and the Romanians had let the field go to hell to slow things down. Italy's lineup: Buffon, Cannavaro, Nesta, Maldini, Zambrotta, Tommasi, Tacchinardi, Coco, Totti, Inzaghi, and Del Piero.

Tommasi was at the peak of his form with Roma on the way to the Scudetto. What was expected to be a really tight tense match in difficult conditions was finished with two brilliant team goals within five minutes, finished by Inzaghi at 28 and 33 minutes. Romania had no ideas against Italy's defense in the second half, and it finished 2-0. This essentially sealed qualification for Korea/Japan with 4 games to spare.

This is the last road qualifier against a quality opponent that I can remember Italy winning.

4. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Italy-Romania in Euro 2000 was one of the most one-sided games Italy has played in their favor, despite the 2-0 scoreline. Italy dominated the whole game, Inzaghi and Totti scored, and Inzaghi hit the post. Hagi had to dive in the box to try and create something for Romania, and he wound up getting sent off. Italy cruised into the semi-finals.

Another great game has to be Italy-Wales at the San Siro for Euro 2004 qualification. Wales beat Italy when they travelled to Cardiff, and no one knew what to expect when they came to Italy. Italy scored 4 goals, with SuperPippo bagging a hat-trick, and I think Vieri had the other one IIRC. It was great to watch.

5. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Italy-Germany 4-3 in WC semifinal 1970. Wasn't alive to remember it, but you don't need to have been around to appreciate this game. That says it all right there.

Comments later, but here are some matches that must be mentioned:

Italy-Brazil 1982
    Italy-Germany 1982
    Italy-Norway 1994

6. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    As I've mentioned before, that Norway match in 1994 was what made me a fan. It was a gritty victory, played by 10 men under thread of elimination. In that regard, it was a great win, but given that it was won by a goal from a set-piece, not a great performance. Pretty agonizing one, in fact, for most of the game. If you include that game, also include the Nigeria game, which was even more agonizing! :)

Beating Bulgaria in the semifinals, now THAT was a dominating performance, but it's not really given much consideration because of the underdog nature of the opponent.

7. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well, what really sold the Norway game to me was just that, the gritty determination. Too many times the Azzurri prance around like primedonne when they should be rolling up their sleeves and getting to work (the entire WC 1986 comes to mind). The spirit, determination, hard work, etc. shown against Norway were priceless. I'll never forget Maldini running around with his head bandaged, unable to be substituted and not wanting to quit for fear of leaving Italy with only 9 players.

8. Sempre

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I've watched that game on tape so many times. It's the best
    I've ever seen and it proves why the golden goal rule should
    NEVER be instituted at a tournament.

9. Coompa

Coompa New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    Toronto
    Italy vs Brazil WC 82

By far the most exciting National Team game I have ever seen. Brazil were huge favourites to win it all with their Dream Team, they only needed a tie to advance, but the Azzurri and Paulo Rossi played an amazing game to secure a 3-2 victory.

My gav game of all time

10. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Also a nominee as one of the best WC games of all time !

11. Sempre

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And how about Italy-Romania at home--a crushing 3-0 orchestrated
    by Totti? I loved that game.

I hope Scotland-Italy will give us a nice away win.

12. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It should be at least 3-0 to Italy. To beat a team like Scotland 2-0 only doesn't illustrate our superiority properly.

13. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    AMEN!

14. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The first game that my dad showed to me. He taped that match and kept on telling that he was the hero in that match and so on. Rossi's greatest performance and one of those matches that he reached hero status.
    The first half wasn't great but the second half was one of the greatest second halves that I've ever seen.
    I haven't seen this match but from what I've heard, it was a very dramatic clash.

15. mookhead

mookhead New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Metro Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    My dad always talks about Germany-Italy 1970. Italy-Brazil World Cup '82 is also a good one. Didn't see any of the above two live, however the best game I saw live on tv was Italy-Nigeria. That was a great game!!!

16. GStuto

GStuto New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    ITALIA VS BRASIL 1982 SEMI FINALS

without a DOUBT one of Italia's best World Cup Matches!!!

Taken off of FIFA World Cup 2002 Website.

FULL STREAMING OF GAME CAN BE FOUND HERE
    http://2002.fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/02/en/pf/h/cg/ita_bra_1982.html

05 July 1982: Italy - Brazil 3-2

It was the stuff of dreams for Paolo Rossi and the Italian fans. Enzo Bearzot's Italian side were up against Tele Santana's Brazil, with a place in the semi-finals at stake. For the Squadra Azzurra only a victory would do, while tournament favourites Brazil could make do with a draw.

(see full article at above link)

17. Sempre

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That game should have been 4-2, in fact . . . But
    Antognoni's brilliant (legal) goal was disallowed for
    offsides.

My favorite moment was Zoff's save at the very end.
    Amazing. One of the real classics of world soccer.

18. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    For some reason, I think Italy would have got more praise if the score was 4-2. That definitely would have made the Brazilian defence look a bit more weaker than what they were.

Zoff's save at the end has to be one of the greatest saves even seen at a World Cup.

19. Zhou Disheng

Zhou Disheng New Member

Jul 20, 2005
    China Harbin
    [​IMG]

94 WC,I like Italy.

20. Zhou Disheng

Zhou Disheng New Member

Jul 20, 2005
    China Harbin

[​IMG]

Dino Baggio 's wonderful goal.Donadoni passed the ball to him.

21. ITALIA1982

ITALIA1982 Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Italy - France WC 1978 is also worth mentioning!!

22. vincep5

vincep5 Member

Jun 19, 2005
    The 1970 Ita vs Ger is the best game in Italian HISTORY. Right after that is the 1982 game vs Brazil...and the final too.

-I almost forgot about that...I remember now. Good memories from 1994 my first WC that I watched on TV. Baggio saved italy from misery when he made the goal vs. Nigeria

The 2 that stick out for me is Euro2000 vs. Holland. All I need to say is that our "backup" goalie was a national hero that game.

One that wasnt mentioned: WC2002...Italy vs. Mexico.
    Mexico gets a crazy looping goal that somehow got in...Italy looks dead, but then enters Montella into the game and just blindly crosess a ball into the box..and guess who's there to head it in Del Piero. He saves Italy's chances of progressing.

23. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It was a very good header by Borghetti and Del Piero's goal is the only World Cup memory of Del Piero that anyone will have. It's the only good thing that he has done at a major tornament.