Aztex moving to Orlando in 2011?

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by stevebeau, Oct 22, 2010.

1. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Wachhz

Wachhz New Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Denton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what to think about this yet. Really lame if Austin loses their team. ALso not sure how I'd feel about an Orlando team that isn't playing inter state rivalry games vs Tampa and Miami.

4. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had to share my wife's comment on the Aztex facebook page:

5. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This sucks.

It would suck for a team that had struggling attendance and poor performance on the field. But the Aztex were already on their way to establishing themselves as a D-2 presence so it sucks even more.

Won't make you all feel any better I'm sure, but I'm still rooting for you guys. Makes me a little concerned that the RailHawks, too, have been looking for "additional investors" for a while.

6. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    The sad part is that from a business standpoint, the move makes sense. The travel costs to Austin are just so high.

But anyone that's got a heart is cheering for y'all in Austin. I'm from Minnesota (currently living abroad), and even I'm e-mailing your ownership. Good luck!

7. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    This also would not just a blow Austin but also for the San Antonio Expansion Team. San Antonio and Austin Rivalry would NASL most western USA clubs. The Aztex need to stay in Austin.

8. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, yes, but...

Let's go back to the 2008 season, when Phil bought the Aztex - there weren't any teams close in the USL then either. So to me that's a bit of a non-starter. Travel sucked then, it sucks now, if anything it'll suck LESS because we don't have to go to the Pacific Northwest now that Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver are all in MLS.

So sure, it sucks, but it's not like this was sprung on anyone.

9. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Aztex do, in fact, announce they're leaving Monday, I will be at Mr. Tramps at 6 PM to hoist a pint to their passing. Any and all are welcome to join me.

10. KillerMoth

KillerMoth Member

May 12, 2008
    South Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Not sure what this means:

"All packed up and moved out of the apt..adios Austin, ill miss ya!"

http://twitter.com/jamiewatson22

I guess that either his contract is up, he's been transferred, or our fears may be confirmed. Losing Tintin would be bad news, but I fear this means something even worse.

11. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That one's actually innocuous. The Aztex provide housing during the season as part of the players' compensation packages. They all have to be out by a week or two after seasons' end.

12. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wondered if that tweet played into today's news (or lack thereof), or whether it was, as Blackburn says, pretty run of the mill, off-season stuff. And I hate to read too much in to such a short statement, but ... would you say "I'll miss ya" (or even "ill miss ya") if you were coming back next year?

13. Madmartigen

Madmartigen Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Elgin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I say that everytime I have to go to Plano or Fort Worth or Dull-ass... whoa... I just got chills thinking about it... ;)

14. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I can't believe it. My kids and I have poured our hearts and souls into this team, talking it up to everyone we know.

If this is true, I'm not sure I'll ever feel the same way about pulling for a soccer team again. I kept hearing that Phil and Kay were "in Austin for the long haul."

I hope it's not true.

15. Scooter Pete

Scooter Pete Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used this phrase many times myself when referring to the team and ownership and I am gutted that they may be throwing in the towel after only two years at the USL level.

For me I guess it hurts worse that they may be taking the team someplace else. If (for financial reasons) they'd said "hey we can't afford to do this anymore" and then just closed up shop I'd be hurt, but I don't think I'd feel the same sense of loss that I am feeling this weekend. But to turn right around and start up a new team in a new city feels like a betrayal of all that we've been working for three years to build in Austin.

I get it that operating a USLPro team in Orlando will be cheaper than trying to stay at the D2 level in Austin, but if the team goes I am going to feel a lot like a faithful wife that has done everything she can to keep herself in shape but whose husband goes and leaves her for the younger co-worker with big tits anyway.

I am saddened, shocked, and betrayed if we lose our team.

16. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I'm still hoping it isn't true. It doesn't stack up with the selling of season tix and other future oriented talk. I can't square it with the great community orientation of the organization. That's an investment. Why walk away from that? I am remaining optimistic.

But if the Aztex were to leave, it would be the death knell for soccer in Austin for a generation. To build a fan base requires people (media, hard core supporters, etc.) to buy in, to commit. If this ownership group were to pull out now, I can't see people making that commitment again.

17. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the selling of season tix, the signing of a longer contract with AISD for House Park, etc, is all based on the hope of finding new ownership. That way Rawlins can say, look, I set you up for the next few years before I left.

If anyone knows anyone worth 20-40 million dollars, now might be the time to mention it. :)

18. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    If this were an ABC after-school special, this would be the point at which we all decide to hold a bake sale or put on a show, raising just enough money to save the day.

But seriously, I really did think the Rawlinses were committed to the AUSTIN Aztex for 5 years. And until it's confirmed otherwise, I'm clinging to that.

19. Scooter Pete

Scooter Pete Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree completely. Sadly soccer fans in Austin would find ourselves in a situation where we'd have been better off had the Aztex never come into existence.

The Aztex would join a long list of teams that just went poof. They would be the best financed and best organized to have disappeared, but in the end the outcome would be the same. :mad:

I'll hold out (some) hope until I hear it officially, but this really sucks.

20. KillerMoth

KillerMoth Member

May 12, 2008
    South Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    I am extremely grateful to Phil and Kay for all that they have put into soccer in Austin, and I always will be.

All the same, it hurts a great deal to think of losing this team, and the terse, official response on Friday has probably alienated many of the most loyal supporters, and I can't help but think that they've got to be aware of this, and would be doing damage control by now, if it mattered.

I'm hoping that if this is all going the direction that it appears to be, that someone out there will look at our attendance numbers, and will startup a new PDL franchise in Austin by next summer, and that D3 USL Pro will make its way out here in 2-5 years. I don't think we can hold out hopes for another generous and deep-pocketed owner to foot the bill for D2 soccer here again for the foreseeable future. (If D2 even exists, which is looking more doubtful, now.)

21. CheeseAndOatcakes

CheeseAndOatcakes New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I'm sorry to hear about the recent events.

I hope that people have watched Stoke City and supported them will be able to continue to do so although I understand if they no longer wish to do so given recent events.

I'm moving to Fareham, Portsmouth in the coming weeks and was looking forward to being able to get along to see Portsmouth play but it now appears they are getting folded.

I had planned to also continue to support my beloved Stoke City when I visted home and also through the tv but it seems Portsmouth will soon disappear from existence so I will no longer get to go along and see regular live games.

22. KillerMoth

KillerMoth Member

May 12, 2008
    South Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Thanks. I, and many other people in Austin, have grown very fond of Stoke City, and I will probably continue to support them.

23. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I didn't know about Portsmouth's troubles. Crazy.

24. CheeseAndOatcakes

CheeseAndOatcakes New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Yeah todays match could be the last they will ever play which really saddens me.

One minute they are flying high in the premier league and then the next they could be wiped from the game.

:(

25. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I suppose it's naive to think that it matters anyway. Call me naive.