Azteca, post game [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by jamison, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There is a lot of fear of getting pelted with a cup of urine or water bottle. Plus a lot of people don't have extra cash to spend for a trip.

2. TRUEAGGIE

TRUEAGGIE Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Maybe I'm just too optimistic about our fanbase sometimes. Maybe there were more fans there than I thought. How many of us were there do you think? It's just sad that nations like Costa Rica and El Salvador travel better than we do. I'm sure some of that has to do with a lot of them living in the US etc....

3. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Member

Jun 29, 2006
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    When it rains bring an umbrella!?![}!^:cool:

4. drupha

drupha Member

Feb 12, 2005
    USA
    Were you the guy from Bama in the Feilhaber jersey? My friend Omar and I were going nuts and then a guy hopped up a row to jump in. I actually said the same thing, the trip was worth it, if even for the euphoria of that first goal.

5. deedougie

deedougie Member

Jul 5, 2000
    OAK,CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I glad you equate a "real futbol" atmosphere with people throwing beer.

Now that educated me that the way to be a "real futbol" fanatic is throwing beer at other people! Next game, I promise to buy 10 dollar beers and start hurling them all over the place. Thank you!

No wait, screw that. I'd rather drink it instead.

6. phillypride

phillypride Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Wish the were American"? WTF? I love the US too, but there's no need to be so arrogant. Mexico is a great country with great people too. Oh, and by the way, they are Americans already. And if you are actually surprised that there are good Mexicans out there, you need to get out more.
    "They" would also say you were racist for lumping all the Mexican fans together as dirty.

Any US supporter that uses their support for the MNT as an excuse express their xenophobia and prejudices is disgracing the team and country. Support the team holding nothing back and call out the terrible behavior of any fan that throws things. But, there's no reason to make any generalizations about all the other team's fans much less their whole country.

About the fans who were throwing things, I wish something would be done. It seems like with so many throwing things, it would be hard for police or security to find a place to start. I'm sure some in the Mexican media decry it. I really respect Ochoa for accompanying the Panamanian player to the tunnel and trying to get fans to stop throwing stuff at him during the Gold Cup. During the Costa Rica game, the ref asked the Mexico captain to do the same and he refused.

7. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    uhhhh what?

8. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
  9. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Because you wasted precious stomach space on mickey d's. You have had 10 mini tacos instead. I dunno, it's your loss I guess. I'm not mad, I just think it's really ironic, that's all.

10. shinpath

shinpath Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Shanghai, PR China
    Club:
    --other--
    Link please?

11. cklab

cklab Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Dallas
    yeah... where was that one posted?

12. TRUEAGGIE

TRUEAGGIE Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Las Vegas

It was my friend who hopped a row up to jump in.

13. notcreative

notcreative New Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This was mine and my G/F's first MNT game anywhere, and we had an absolute blast! I thought the crowd was extremely passionate and just increased the excitement. They weren't just throwing stuff at our section, they were throwing anything not bolted down at each other, so we shouldn't feel it was directed just towards us.

the walk/metro from the hotel to the stadium was an absolute blast - much thanks to the guys who ran all that and the hospitality shown by all the veterans. We will def be in for more games and hopefully more wins

couple of pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. El_Camino

El_Camino Member

Aug 5, 2009
    SLP MX
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    First of all, congratulations to all the US fans that went to the Estadio Azteca and had fun during the game. It was a great match.

About us, mexican fans, being classless, It's never good to generalize, I have never thrown a beer or a bottle to anybody... but here en Mexico you realize that all that stuff is part of the game and the atmosphere.

Players from southamerica who come and plays for mexican teams always says that in Mexico you can bring the family to the games, you can be on a seat next to rival fans even at clasicos and that in southamerica you can't. And I'm not saying that southamerica fans are classless, that's just the way it is in football.

Again, congratulations, and see you in SouthAfrica.

15. raikko

raikko New Member

May 18, 2009

well said !!

cm on guys, the past is the past ... now both teams need to do their job to reach South Africa , as a Mexican really I would like to watch both teams in the World Cup and representing CONCACAF doing a great job rea , I know that both teams can make a great performance out there ......

all the best !!!

16. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't there so I can't comment (other then from what I've read from US fans who were there). What I will say is if the Mexicans were hurling stuff at the US fans (which seems to be the consensus) that completely tears apart the "argument" made by a lot of Mexican posters on BS that Mexican fans in Mexico are not classless, it's just the Mexican-Americans at games in Chicago or Houston or Phoenix.

Anyway, I've been pelted by batteries, water bottles and cups (no urine yet) at the GC Final in '07 and the Honduras qualifier in June. Some Mexican fans were trying to stop it in '07, the majority of Hondurans were trying to stop it in '09. The one interesting thing I would note is that when I went to the Guatemala qualifier in '05 in Alabama I saw no problems from the Guatemalans. Maybe it was because we outnumbered them (or it was close to 50/50) but they were really nice and classy. I guess down in Guatemala they are different. Best fans in Concacaf I've met so far were the 100 or so T&T fans in Chicago for the qualifier in '08. Now this might have been because they were all stoned off their a$$es (not a racist comment or a generalization about them, they really were) but they were really cool.

17. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    i have been intentionally avoiding almost all of this discussion but i would like to quickly make one point regarding your statement. i was in guatemala last year for the qualifier and i was in mexico city this week. the environment and actions of the home supporters in both were fairly similar. i loved every minute of both matches (well, except the last 10 or so of wednesday's) and appreciate the atmosphere created. i would say the behavior of guatemalan supporters you experienced at the Alabama match was different than what we experienced in guatemala.

a second point, i would like to make. yes, that was a confederate flag that someone was carrying and waving. yes, he is a complete f*#kwad for thinking that it was a good idea to wave that in our section. i was ashamed to be marched through the parking lot by security with that flag in our midst. there have been books written by people far smarter, knowledgeable and skilled than myself discussing the symbolism and meaning of that flag. however, in my opinion it has no place at a soccer match on US soil or any other country.

18. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Sorry, but that's all B-S. There are plenty of places that have oodles of "futbol passion," such as England, Germany, Holland, etc., that if you threw ANYthing, you'd get thrown out of the stadium, probably banned for a long time, and possibly arrested. If you follow the sport, you know that throwing a coin or battery, if they can catch you, will get you in serious trouble. Hell, in England you can't stand up a lot of the time.

It has nothing to do with futbol passion. It has to do with a society that places a premium on civil and safe behavior. That's what happens in the US, for the most part, and in UEFA. I'm not saying that Mexico is a worse country or society, but it wouldn't be tolerated in UEFA and is generally not tolerated by Americans. That's why we're complaining, just as you complain about plenty of aspects of US culture.

And before you start with the "you only watch baseball" crap, I've been to games in Argentina and Europe (inc. Turkey), and they were largely safe. If there was a potential for trouble, it was the home team's responsibility to ensure safety. If that means clearing out three sections of home supporters to keep them from the away fans and holding the home supporters for an hour, that's the price to pay for unruly fans.

19. Jboc15

Jboc15 New Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Detroit
    Had a great time at the game and pretty much agree with everyone one else about the fans. Most before and after the game were pretty cool and it was awesome that some many Mexicans kept coming up to me asking to take a picture with me. Guess they dont see a big ass Gringo with a red sombrero everyday. :D

And it was the greatest moment ever when we scored first and the section was went nuts.

20. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    I ate in Mcdonalds all the time in Mexico city, especially the one in Florencia and it wasn't a big deal. Maybe he isn't a cousine tourist. If he enjoyed the experience and went to all those places in the city, I really don't get lambasting him for his choice as if food is that important.

21. socluis90

socluis90 Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does McDonalds in other countries taste the same? Something I always wondered...

22. deedougie

deedougie Member

Jul 5, 2000
    OAK,CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Hey man did you see your huge picture in Record yesterday? It was the paper that had GOOOOOOOL on the front of it...You've got a huge picture in the paper.

P.S. From what I've read here, no one who actually went to the game is really complaining, it's those who weren't there and really don't understand how it was.

24. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Member

May 14, 2000
    Fire Daddy!
    Club:
    --other--
    I'll let you figure that one out on your own. But I can tell you that McDonald's in Dublin use green cheese on their Egg Mc Muffins.

25. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    Spam is very popular in Hawaiian McDonalds.....