AZpiration is everything --Jozy in Alkmaar

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Mar 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    It was the official Premier League website that counted drawn PKs as assists in their statistics, and I think there is a certain logic to that.

Actually I feel pretty confident that on average it tells you more about a player's contribution to a goal than an assist does. On the other hand, if you're using assist figures to tell you something about the quality of a player's passing in dangerous positions, then it's probably less useful to lump those figures together.

2. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Does that count every penalty drawn as an assist, or just the ones that are converted? On one hand, you technically can't have an assist if there was no goal, but on the other hand a drawn penalty is a drawn penalty whether or not the taker converts it. On the other other hand, you could say the same thing with pinpoint crosses and breakaway passes. If the player scores, the passer gets an assist, and if they don't, they don't and there's nothing the passer can do after the pass/cross. I guess that's just to say that assist stats are a fickle thing.

3. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "He is known for his ability in the air"... yeah not so much. :p

4. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Just the ones that were converted for the reason you mentioned.

5. t3oni

t3oni Member

May 9, 2013

For players who are active in the penalty box, causing trouble...is more likely to get fouled and some teams rely on that especially against physical teams. so i think it makes sense its added as an assist

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully, we get to see him assist some of his goals this season.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if this has been posted but I found it interesting.

"Not every team in that league tried to play football."

Looking at you Tony Pulis.

8. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    According to Yanks Abroad Jozy led the PL in penalties drawn. He had 7 PL assists, 4 of them penalties drawn. People forget what a physical man-child beast Jozy was at Hull. He drew many fouls and yellows. Now he's going to be like that plus goals.

Ironic that his last PL action was a head butt against Sunderland.

Gorky repped this.
  9. koolvid

koolvid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong forum??? lol

10. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
  11. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe he might still have a game suspension to serve from that incident.

12. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC

I think it was served when he played in turkey Gorky... not sure if that's 100% correct but I think that other federations do count towards suspensions.

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Positive now is that Jozy can create PKs and take them and convert them. Is there a designated PK taker for Sunderland? Can't recall them getting many, if any PKs last season.

14. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope SAFC keep Sessegnon. If they have Sess, Johnson, Fletcher, and Larsson supporting Jozy, he shouldn't have a problem finding chances.

It's not an ideal move but I'm excited.

15. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    This is a fantastic move with one major caveat: can the coach just coach instead of talk to the media?

If I were the owner I would hire a front man and not let DC talk to anyone. Pay him a million pounds a year just to shut the hell up. The guy can coach and that's all that matters.

My only other fear is that Jozy will be browbeaten into playing with an injury that blows up just prior to WC.

16. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=790207

I love SAFC forums. A new thread is created on jozy everyday,and all of them stay active. they cant stop talking about him. The new topic is a JOZY CHANT song:cool: and its funny how much people our told to simply fuick off on those forums daily

17. iliketowel

iliketowel Member

Feb 28, 2012
    New York City
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

18. iliketowel

iliketowel Member

Feb 28, 2012
    New York City
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought this was interesting:

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/onthemove/id/6766?cc=5901

He's one year older than Altidore and scored more goals, the (somewhat biased) consensus here is that Altidore is more versatile, but is Bonyworth 2x the $?

Unak78 and drumline123 repped this.
  19. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  20. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that Bony has a longer and more consistent track record of scoring than Jozy does....and one has to remember that Jozy has the "failures" to make an impact at Villarreal, Hull, and Xerez on his record. Everyone knows that there are caveats to those "failures", but it gives them reason to discount his value.

21. DontJustStareAtIt

Jul 2, 2011
    Sunderland is paying a lot of money for Jozy, and Swansea is paying insane money for Bony. Seems pretty risky deals given the current transfer climate and it being Eredivisie players, not proven PL or CL players. But most PL teams seem to have more £ than they have time to spend.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  22. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunderland signed two good (French) CBs in Valentin Roberge and Mobido Diakite. If Sessegnon stays put, we could be looking at a decent squad.

23. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bony's track record is a little better. However, that track record began at Sparta Prague. It could be argued that while Bony was banging in goals in the Czech league, Jozy was playing in Spain, England, and Turkey which are leagues much higher in stature. When comparing Jozy to Bony prior to the Eredivisie, it's a wash, IMO. Bony was scoring but Jozy was playing at a higher level. I have no idea if that's the way clubs and managers look at it but that's the way I look at it.

At the end of the day, though, Bony and Jozy are two different players that bring different intangibles to the table. That factors in their market values. Both are posed for "big money transfers" and both clearly deserve it. I think both will be successful in the EPL but obviously for selfish reasons I hope Jozy outshines Bony.

24. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Yeah... in the Czech league with their national power. Not nearly as many degree of difficulty points.

25. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both players were free transfers which is always a smart piece of business especially when they could be potential starters. Roberge, I confess, I don't know much about other than what I've read. Diakite is a pretty solid CB that was rebounded extremely well after a broken leg nearly killed his Lazio career before it even started.