AZ you like it: Jozy at Alkmaar [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Jul 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are friez, dood...

2. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearing your head and clogging your arteries-it's a win-win!!

3. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    It's not legal in Amsterdam either. Soft drug use is tolerated (all over the country) but legal it isn't. Even my humble town has about 20 coffeeshops btw.

4. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    verbeek just told klinsmann off. :eek:

"Jürgen Klinsmann has the anger of AZ coach Gertjan Verbeek on the neck removed by Jozy Altidore anyway to call for the American team. Team USA plays next Friday in California, a friendly against Costa Rica.

"That's eleven hours flying. And I'm not even talking about the time difference, "said Verbeek, who recently fired head coach Bob Bradley has made ​​the appointment had not recalled that Altidore would be at Voetbal International. "This is very stupid of Klinsmann. You are required anyone. It is nota bene to practice duels. I tried to stop it, but he was adamant. And Jozy is not likely to cancel itself. "

'Klinsmann has just been appointed as the successor to Bradley and is clearly just draw a line at. While still important for all parties is that Jozy will soon fit? It is pure self-interest of a man who only one year has been a club coach (Bayern Munich, red) and immediately fired. Enough said. "(Yuri van den Busken)
    RELATED NEWS"

5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Verbeek. That's a big strain on Joy, and he's not even fully fit yet.

6. bullit82

bullit82 Member

Forest Green Rovers
    United States
    Jan 24, 2011
    Arizona
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how many other coaches felt the same way, but didn't say anything, they should have played both games in Europe or both games in the US.

7. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weird...Klinsmann seems to have let Chandler slide..but not Jozy, who is probably in more need of a break than Chandler was.

8. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the minimum, USSF could have at least scheduled the game back east, or in Chicago. Why LA??? LA gets enough NT games as it is. But scheduling another NT game there, while planning on playing in Belgium 4 days later doesn't make much sense.

Anywhere in the east makes it considerably more manageable.

9. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also let Clint stay in London until next Sun, because of back spasms, and let Beckerman remain with RSL, for a league game. Why not have Jozy meet the team in Brussels?

10. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Actually, aside from camp cupcake, LA almost never gets US games due in large part to the fact that no matter who the US plays in LA it would be an away game.

The Gold Cup final was in LA, but that was a CONCACAF decision.

As someone who lives in So Cal, its pretty rare for us to get a friendly out here (aside from camp cupcake) and even rarer still to get a World Cup qualifier.

In fact, the home leg of our qualifier against Bermuda or Barbados (don't remember which one it was) was the only qualifier we've had in LA in the last decade I think. At least its the only WC quali that I remember being in LA since I moved out here.

11. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I just wanted to make sure I wasn't full of shit with my last post, so I checked the US Soccer website.

LA has hosted 10 national team games in the past 6 years (Costa Rica will make 11).

3 of those games were Gold Cup matches scheduled by CONCACAF, one of those was this year's final, which was predetermined and had no guarantee that the US was going to make the final.

6 of those games were Camp Cupcake games

And one was the Barbados game I mentioned.

This will be the first friendly scheduled by US Soccer in LA that will feature our "A Team" in 6 years.

That's as far as US Soccer keeps their schedule on the website. I'm sure its actually been much longer since LA hosted a friendly featuring our full squad.

12. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mythical "A" squad or not, LA gets more sheer games than anyplace in the country, by a country mile. So yeah, it's pretty silly to have 1 game there and another one 4 days later in Belgium. But whatever .... what's done is done. However, it was a mistake to do so.

13. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It puts the ball in the net or it gets the hose again.

14. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    This is a curious statement. There is nothing mythical about the fact that there are regular starters, and then there are camp cupcake rosters.

And I wouldn't go as far as to say LA has the rest of the country beat by a country mile.

Chicago has hosted 5 games in the same time frame and the Boston/Hartford area has hosted 5 games too.

LA gets the MLS all-stars every year. The rest of the country gets the actual national team.

Like you said, what's done is done.

15. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the east coast hasn't seen the US play Brazil, Spain, and Argentina in the past year? In addition to the send off series, and the majority of qualifiers?

Quit your complaining.

16. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The East Coast is not a single metropolitan area. LA is. So 11 games in the LA area is far different than whatever the number is on the "East Coast". We're not all living right next to each other here.

I'm simply pointing out the logical disconnect that LA is somehow cheated in seeing the national team. They get more national team games than any city in the country, by far. If you want to see what you deem to be the "A" team because the plethora of games already played there aren't good enough for your tastes .... you can also travel to see them. I don't live in NY, but I've gone there to see games. Tampa, same deal. Heck, I've seen 3 Camp Cupcake games in LA in the last 2 and a half years. So I'm not complaining about where the games are from a selfish standpoint, since I'll travel on a dime to see games wherever they are (including going to Canada and Egypt for frickin u-20 tournaments). My point is that from a PLAYER perspective, it makes no sense to schedule games back to back, 4 days apart, in time zones with an 8 hour difference ... unless you are using different squads. It's a mistake.

17. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    I agree with Verbeek, although Verbeek should have done this behind the scenes. Bringing up the Bayern thing was uncalled for.

18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounds like Verbeek DID unsuccessfully try to address it behind the scenes first, before going public with his criticism:
    "I tried to stop it, but he was adamant."

And he's bringing up the Bayern thing to make the point that Klinsmann does not appreciate his position as a club coach, which seems quite relevant here:
    "It is pure self-interest of a man who only one year has been a club coach (Bayern Munich, red) and immediately fired. Enough said."

19. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    I think bringing such things up in public is bush league.

Fact is, Klinsmann has just as much right to the player.
    Verbeek needs to respect that.

Sure, I wish Juergen had not done it, and I agree with Verbeek's logic..
    but it is still within Juergen's stated right. He has a team to run.
    I don't see the point in starting a public pissing match, but then
    again those Dutch sure like to express their opinions! (must be fun
    to be a fly on the wall of the Dutch national sides lockerroom) :)

20. DontJustStareAtIt

Jul 2, 2011
    Friendlies with euro based players should only be played in Europe. Flying to LA for a friendly is ridiculous.

21. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to agree. Time to just bite the bullet and have all our "home" friendlies at a German military base or something.

22. It is very dangerous to play soccer in my province. Close to Alkmaar a small, unexpected twister took a little kid from the soccer pitch he was playing and smacked him down again. Luckily he wasnot hurt much. So Jozy besides tackles, has to dodge twisters too:D

23. jwat15

jwat15 Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Things Ive learned in the last few pages:

-Jozy should have stayed in Europe

-Verbeek no likey Klinsi

-America consists of L.A. and the East coast. And thats it! :rolleyes:

-And...twister.

24. That's the fringe benefit of being a BS poster:)

25. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does if you have 2 camps/rosters. I domestic/North American roster/camp for the CR game @LA. And then another for the Euros in Belgium.

This was undoubtedly the thinking when the games were scheduled under the previous regime. And it makes perfect sense. You can look at more players this way.

JK has a slightly different philosophy (so he says), at least at the beginning. But we've already seen Dolo, Dempsey, and Beckerman beg off the CR game. So maybe that is changing already.

Still, the idea that it was so dumb to schedule this way really doesn't hold a lot of water in my opinion.