AZ you like it: Jozy at Alkmaar [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Jul 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    From the way he´s going 15-20 goals this season is not Impossible. Just hope he keeps that HUNGER for scoring all season long.

2. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    I think it's fairly obvious by now that we should be sending all of our strikers over to the Eredivisie!

[​IMG]

3. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Verbeek has been great for US soccer. Let's not forget this particular coach's role in trusting our guys. Hopefully with him + Earnie, AZ could become a new, continuing development partner for US Soccer. I could see a guy like Agudelo developing nicely there, or Luis Gil (or Renken), or maybe Omar Gonzales.

Realistically, not all coaches in Holland will take a shot with us, but
    this guy certainly has + does.

I actually think Shea can jump straight to the Prem within a year at this pace (assuming his game keeps growing).

4. WrmBrnr

WrmBrnr Member+

Apr 12, 2001
    San Carlos
    Agreed.

5. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So rep him already...

6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny, last night I was just thinking about how great a situation like Jozy now has at AZ would be for Juan. Confidence is huge, and Backe seems to have crushed any and all confidence Juan has. In fact, he seems to kill it within 48 hrs of his return from every trip to work with the NT. It would be great for Omar as well.

Hopefully, this move by Jozy does open doors for other Americans. I don't see how anyone could argue against the staff at AZ getting more out of Juan, and being better for his development, than what we're seeing from Backe and his staff right now.

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

fyp. ;)

8. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Irrelevant.

What's relevant is that after a few months in charge, you had already dubbed him one of the two worst coaches in the league.

Such a nuanced understanding of the game you have! Such patience and forethought!

Might be time for you to change your handle again, by the way.

9. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    This is a Jozy thread- let's move on.

10. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQfxl3aPfzo"]Jozy Altidore - What's Next? - YouTube[/ame]

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    When Earnie was running NACB, he claimed poverty.

I assume A-Zet has some cash lying around, even under the post-Scheringa regime to afford a few Americans.

12. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Absolutely. So glad he's finding some form. And on you're second point that's what i'm looking for too. That consistency, especially in his finishing with his feet. I'd love to see some strikes like he took in Gold cup so he is more then an aerial threat. If he got 15 league goals I'd say " very well done and very good" assuming it isn't 15 lucky goals or 15 penalties. Kinda like Andy Johnson had on season. But It's also why i hope he's stays put for a more then just this year. Let him get comfortable, consistent, get settled, build up a bit of a rep.

Yes. The dutch league has a bit of a rep especially in England, of being a league that's easier to score in, thus you can't trust that prolific scoring in Holland mean you'll be prolific in the EPL. Kuyt is often cited as an example of the rule, and Van Nistelrooy often cited as the exception.

But like you said it's a quality league still. And it's one of the reason's i thought it was a positive to go their. Give him some confidence. In retrospect i think Villarreal was too much of a step up, especially without Pellegrini to guide him. But the more he scores the better.

i don't know about his confidence but i think for many players having the coach in you're corner makes all the difference. Even Freddy Adu, saw a drastic change in his career as soon as the guy Manager that brought him to Benfica left. He stopped getting games and struggled. Altidore wasn't really needed during his Spain loan and didn't feature. Adu wasn't wanted by the manager at Monaco and barely featured. Donovan, though not great, was better when Klinsmann was in his corner at Bayern then at Leverkusen, when they lost trust in him. But just how much better was he at Everton where the manager really was lobbying for him, had experience with American players, and had tons of belief and threw him right in? He was great. And it's been said by many Brazilian managers act as father figures, and when many Brazilians, Robihno particularly, go to europe they struggle because, in addition to the physicality, managers don't coddle them and don't support them the same way. So without that manager in his corner at Madrid and feeling wanted at City his play suffered. I think some players are so mentally strong it doesn't matter. I think Dempsey is like that. two or three different coaches. Sat early, in his Fulham time. Sat buy Hodgsen when Hodgsen first got there. He doesn't care. He just keeps plugging away. Earning his spot. Making whoever is there bench someone else to the point where Dempsey is not the Veteren that's proven the local naysayers wrong and pretty indispensable. But i think for many others everything needs to be just right.

13. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was the name of MB's old teammate in Holland the once scored 7 goals in a league match and transferred during the next window to Middlesboro?

14. SirDuke

SirDuke Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Afonso Alves, who is now playing in the Qatari league. Read into it what you will.

15. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Afonso Alves

16. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm reading get him into a Sounders kit before the window closes.

Seriously I don't care if it's easier to score in Holland then other top leagues, (it seems it is) Jozy needs to get fit, score goals, and learn the business of being a center forward, and I figure he can accomplish all of those goals in Holland.

17. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I hope I'm not intruding but it's true that Dutch club football can't keep up with Europe's elite and that's purely a money issue. The total financial resources of a club like AZ are less than even a lowly premiership club earns in television revenues alone. That said, I can't imagine a league that's more fun for a forward, and there's worse leagues to be in for a footballer in general, as said money issues force Dutch clubs to focus on improving their players, with a lot of attention being paid to improving technical skills and tactical intelligence.

What's always interesting to me as a Dutch person is to see which foreigners succeed in the Dutch league and which don't. You have to remember that someone like Hasselbaink, a premiership topscorer, was never rated highly when he was playing in Holland.

18. ebado

ebado Member

May 2, 2008
    Blast from the past. What an absurd career.

----

Happy to see Jozy playing and scoring.

19. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is interesting to see which players succeed and which players fail in all leagues. It is always very, very unfairly used as an indicator for a player's quality, therefore ignoring all other factors like style of play, relationship with the manager, players around them, etc.

A lot of people would be shocked to see some of the players that bombed out of MLS, considering their pedigree. I think that is the case for most leagues.

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Altidore's problems always seem to be in his head. Hopefully he's in a place where those become less of an issue. If he gets his confidence back and rolling it will only benefit the club and us.

21. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I feel like there are some things that can clear ones head in holland that are only legal in that country :cool:

22. US2014

US2014 Red Card

Jun 25, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was only legal in Amsterdam?

23. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alkmaar is about a 27 miles drive from Amsterdam.

24. Dadinho

Dadinho Member

Feb 19, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are legal substances that can clear the mind in many countries. In fact, unknown to many, Portugal, has one of the most liberal drug policies in the world. Not that they are advertising it, though. Freddy Adu's failure in Portugal is now becoming clear. ;)

25. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you can get chips with mayonnaise everywhere in Holland.

[​IMG]