AZ United General News and Information Thread

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising FC' started by kenntomasch, Mar 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yojimbo81

yojimbo81 Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When is the forum title going to get a facelift? PFC is dead. AZ United lives.

Lobos4Sale repped this.
  2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    working on it!

3. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the Sahuaros, Monsoon and PFC all folded in consecutive years, I can't blame them for not rushing to change it.

4. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll be interesting to see the attendance numbers for tonight. I'm also curious about paid attendance as they seem to be giving a lot of tickets away. I don't think that is a bad thing as it should help build a fan base in the long run.

I also wonder if the new jerseys will make their debut tonight. I was told jerseys and scarves should be available this week. Hopefully, they'll still have some in a few weeks as I can't make it to the next 2 games.

I took the plunge and bought season tickets, well partial season tickets starting with the Orlando game on the 17th. I wouldn't have bought them if I didn't get a call from AZ United. Who would have thought that being proactive trying to get people to come to games would work better than a 'build it and they will come approach'?

The Irish Rover repped this.
  5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except it doesn't.

You condition the market to not pay for your product the longer they don't have to.

It's rarely a good long-term strategy (no matter what you're selling) to devalue the only product you have.

6. azjohnnymac

azjohnnymac Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Arizona
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Another crowd over 2,800. Not sure the % of those that were free tickets, but still great to see the level staying pretty level.

Last home game for 2 weeks, this Saturday so hoping for more of the same.

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it didn't, they'd have to call it something else. :)

Justin Z repped this.
  8. azjohnnymac

azjohnnymac Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Arizona
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    lol. Brain and fingers not in sync there :D

9. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully, attendance will reach the 3k mark this weekend, but more realistically staying above 2,800 would be good.

I can't argue with Kenn's statement that giving away free tickets devalues the product. I still think that is not a bad idea. They are getting phone numbers and e-mail addresses for the people are getting free tickets. That allows them to build a database of potential customers. Also, kids under 15 that are getting in for free generally aren't coming by themselves, so the adults that come with have to buy tickets. There's also a chance that people who get in for free are going to want to eat/drink/buy t-shirts or scarves. None of this goes to the devaluation of the product, but the team is getting something out of it. If they are still giving away tons of tickets next season or towards the end of this season (depending on how things go), that is a big problem.

I won't be at the game tomorrow, so can someone please loudly boo Wells Thompson (if he plays) for me.

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are all seemingly valid rationalizations, but they're actually rationalizations.

Now, admittedly, this team and this season are a special case given the very short ramp-up time. Having no one at games doesn't help them sell (as Yogi supposedly said, "If more people went, more people would go."). As a short-term strategy to give the perception of strength and interest, you're right, it has some validity.

But it's still a rationalization. "Yeah, but, they may buy stuff," may be true, but it's a rationalization (and people's per cap usually tracks with what they paid for the ticket, so you don't always come out ahead, but you get something rather than nothing, which may or may not outweigh the long-term devaluation of the product).

"But they'll bring their parents and their parents will pay" may have some validity, but it's also a rationalization (one that has been made for eons, so don't feel badly about positing it). Again, short-term trade-off.

We're dealing with a product that - despite its recent gains and its renaissance - can't afford to make too many mistakes because it hasn't got a big margin for error. Every paying fan is important. Every presentation is important. Vitally important.

And given the fragility of these teams as businesses (traditionally and, still, for the most part), you simply cannot run a business based on the proposition that you will give away the only product you have to sell NOW and bank on customers paying for it LATER. Humans don't do that. They just don't.

That works really well with heroin. It has not, traditionally, worked with soccer franchises. At least not healthy ones. You can only have long-term success by instilling the notion that every single ticket has value (and, in a perfect world, scarcity) and that what you're purchasing lives up to that value, and that's true whether you are selling widgets or diet soda or tickets to a sports team.

Like I said, I understand why their compressed time frame and front-loaded schedule almost mandates that they bend some rules to get people in the building and live with the short-term financial losses (which are inevitable). You have to concentrate on customer service, make sure the value proposition is adequately expressed and understood.

But at some point, people have to pay (a reasonable amount, about which we can and have disagreed) for what you're selling or you're not going to make it work. No matter what your business is.

Provide a product worth paying for. Maintain the integrity of your pricing structure. Deliver what you promise. Focus on customer service and creating people who do get "addicted" to you in a positive sense. That takes a lot of time and vision to pull off, and it can't be done with three weeks of ramp-up time, or three months of ramp-up time. It'll be 2015 before we will know more about how viable this actually is.

The 2014 season is a test of a lot of things. It's a lot of metal-on-metal grinding and establishing baselines. They just have to minimize the very real and very potentially damaging effects of conditioning people to believe tickets have little or no value.

11. azjohnnymac

azjohnnymac Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Arizona
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Another good turnout and another 3 points. Cant complain about either of those.

I think the addition of Morrison immensely helped the defense be much more of a cohesive unit.

On the ticket debate, it is a tough one. I get the point about giving away too many and that the team should be reaching out to the college and 20/30 year olds, but that is a harder market in the short term. To get folks in seats then the angle of giving away the kids tickets, while the adults pay is working.

I have no doubt that they will be working on that long term strategy at the same time. From conversations, those demographics are a market we really do want to focus on.

As has been said, Rome was not built in a day but the signs, after 2 months, are excellent. I do not think anyone could have expected this organization to be in the situation it is in, after just 2 months.

oh...and the new uniforms (including the keepers) look awesome.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One would have to say this is far, far, far better than what the situation was 12 months ago today.

SoccerIsOurLife repped this.
  13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Updated.

yojimbo81 and Justin Z repped this.
  14. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LFR1881 will be hosting two viewing parties tonight, all are welcome.
    East Valley: Tempe Tavern (directly off the McKlintock and Apache lightrail stop)
    West Valley: Tim Finnegan's (directly south of Metrocenter)

Starting both at 6:30, opening kick should be at 7:00

Justin Z repped this.
  15. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. yojimbo81

yojimbo81 Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was more LFR1881 at that match than TA. Great job.

Killersheep repped this.
  17. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone is interested we are pregaming at Draft House as per usual this Saturday before we watch the boys destroy the kittens. People usually start showing up around 4:30 good times to be had.

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what's stupid:

Went to order two tickets for Saturday online. I get the $4.25 a ticket "convenience fee," okay, whatever. But then a $3.25 "order" fee on top of that, and then the capper.....$3 more for them to put the tickets at will call.

Fark that nonsense.

19. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's cheaper to buy at the gate.

Also we will have some free beer (until our tab runs out) at Draft House for the pregame.

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously it's cheaper.

And I don't drink, so that's not an issue.

21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The beer isn't just for you, it's for whoever shows up at 5 at draft house.

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously.

But you were responding to me.

24. Justin Z

Justin Z Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Club:
    Heart of Midlothian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Confirmed that AZ United will be hosting Oklahoma City Energy FC in the third round of the U.S. Open Cup on Wednesday, May 28. Nice to get a home Open Cup game.

http://arizonaunited.com/schedule/

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about that? That's cool. AZU has improved quite a bit since that first game, should be very interesting.