AZ United General News and Information Thread

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising FC' started by kenntomasch, Mar 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Louisville hasn't actually signed anyone, I don't think. If they're not currently in the mode of signing people (they have a coach, but I don't think they've been active yet), and you got a bona fide offer from a club where you knew you could be a cornerstone of the outfit and it's a place you have a connection to...why wouldn't you do it? It doesn't appear as though AZU stole him out from under them. They didn't automatically get title to all of Orlando's old players.

2. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bad taste regarding NOT being selected for the Orlando move to MLS (or given much of a shot by being invited to preseason or anything) possibly lead him to wanting a "fresh start". I do believe Louisville has had a try-out and has said they're close to announcing some signings ... whatever that is worth.

3. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't disagree with any of that. Still it has to feel like that in Louisville, I don't remember so many players being signed this early last year. Could just be from my Phoenix lenses glasses though.
    And he is from here.

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has to feel like what in Louisville?

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None of us can absolutely tell what goes on in anyone's mind, but if you'd once been a first-round MLS draft pick, yet spent the last five years in the second and then the third divisions and were 28, perhaps the ship had sailed on that and perhaps you realized it.

I do know Orlando was honest with players about their chances of sticking around past 2014, which is why Jamie Watson played in Minnesota this year.

Blando13 repped this.
  6. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And really ... this is a "good thing" for soccer in this country. Quality players not having a spot in the top division, but providing good competition to those in the 2nd and 3rd tiers only helps the develping players getting minutes there. It needs to be hard for players to get into MLS and stay there ... and MLS getting better and pushing those types of players down levels helps them by getting better competitions through the lower levels.

I'm glass half full/optimistic about the entire pyramid to a fault sometimes ... but whatever!

I hope that MLS actually increases the allowed international numbers higher this CBA (as well as the DP number and higher cap). That allows more/better interationals to come in an improve the quality and improve the competition of the top US Players ... it also doesn't take jobs away from US players because of the growing number of opportunities in the NASL and USL Pro. Push some of the top US talent on the bottoms of MLS rosters down to the NASL/USL Pro ... make those leagues better at the same time you're making your own league better. Those players would provide great competition to the U23 types that MLS/US Soccer is trying to develop to make the next generation of talent better than the last!

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a player with Valentino's qualities can go a long way towards setting a great example for younger players. A young club needs quality veterans to show youngsters how to be professional players, and hopefully they carry that with them up the ladder (and eventually pass it along).

Blando13 repped this.
  8. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well....

Peoria just underwent a bunch of renovation, it's a nice stadium. But it's on the far northwest corner of the Valley, so people around the population base (and what appears to be the youth soccer base) could reasonably believe it was too far to travel. (It was great for me, 20 minutes from home.)

I haven't been to Scottsdale Stadium in a few years, but it's fine, too. I don't know when (if) the last time was any work was done to it. Closer to the moneyed side of things. Old Town is a few blocks away. There's a parking garage just north of the stadium.

As baseball stadiums go for soccer, it's no worse, I guess. Location-wise, much better.

Giants don't clear out until (apparently) April 2, and with the USL Pro season supposedly starting to stretch later than in past years, you could get close to the Arizona Fall League (which uses SS as a venue). I'm sure they figured all that out, though.

10. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like a higher upside ... think the attendance will reflect that?

I hope they don't make this a habit though, I can't imagine it makes your fan base happy to go to a different yard every year ... but I guess every location would make some happy and some mad.

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell if I know. Location is part of the battle, but only part.

My guess is that they lost a bunch of money last year, partially because of the late start, partially because of limited experience running a club and partially because of the location. (Also partially because it gets kinda hot here in the summer.)

So they have a full off season, the experience of having gone through this once that will hopefully result in bolstering efforts, they're in a better location and it still gets hot here in the summer, but I would imagine they'll draw more folks next year.

Well, they can't stay in Scottsdale forever. There's going to have to be a stadium solution at some point. So they'll have to move again. Don't know when.

12. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, maybe they were able to work a better lease since they had Peoria in their back pocket (speculation) to help lose less money.

If they move to a SSS yard then I don't think that will make many people disappointed, so that move is a positive one ... moving from baseball field to baseball field is what I was talking about.

They seem to be making solid moves on the player aquisition front (RobV and LongT are solid USL players).

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was told Scottsdale Stadium was the same cost to rent as Peoria.

Blando13 repped this.
  14. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And maybe that itself helps them lose less money if the location is better. Who knows ... either way, thanks for all the info!

15. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Justin Z repped this.
  16. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Justin Z repped this.
  17. Hazzard

Hazzard Member

Jun 21, 2011
    AZ
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Location is a big deal for me. The drive from Queen Creek to Peoria in normal weekday traffic took me about an hour and 20 min to get there. For the extra 10 min of driving time, I just assume travel to Tucson to see my hometown FC Tucson play.

Although Scottsdale isn't exactly close to me, it's close enough that I'll likely attend 5 or so games this season. I do hope they keep a central location once the lease at Scottsdale Stadium is done with. I'm looking forward to jumping onto the AZ United bandwagon.

18. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone have an idea of who is going to be on the roster besides those who have already been announced and the guys mentioned in this article? Will Matt Kassel or anyone else from last season be back? I'd think they leave a few spots of open for guys in MLS camps.

19. Hazzard

Hazzard Member

Jun 21, 2011
    AZ
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This might be old news, but has anyone else heard anything about AZUnitedSC signing an apparel contract with Adidas? Does that mean new jerseys for this season?

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USL Today seems high on AZutd.

Hazzard repped this.
  21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw that too. That would definitely mean new jerseys. While I've worn adidas cleats and gear for years, I don't like the way they throw their 3-stripes on everything. I hope they'll stick with the red jerseys, blue shorts, and yellow socks combination. I imagine there will be stripes on the shirt sleeves and shorts.

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean....branding?

24. rossgreen

rossgreen Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Austin
    What spots does it seem you need players for? Looking forward to see who FCD sends your way.

25. Hazzard

Hazzard Member

Jun 21, 2011
    AZ
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mind the stripes too much. I've probably just gotten used to seeing them on MLS jerseys for so long. Red, w/ blue stripes on the jersey would look pretty sharp. Hope, regardless of what it looks like, that they sell an authentic Formotion or Adizero version to the public.