AZ - Rangers [R]

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by AFCA, Dec 2, 2004.

1. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Rangers looking to neutralize AZ's fast-paced build up in the first minutes. AZ getting some room on the left flank now and then.

Rangers are definitely a class above Auxerre, but AZ manages to score an early 1-0 nevertheless. A beautifully played out attack fired home from close range by Landzaat.

Buskermolen comes off injured for Lindenbergh after 18 minutes.

2. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    19th minute Landzaat with free passage to the rangers goal, but he misses a great chance for the 2-0.

3. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    After half an hour Rangers have more posession, but AZ have the best of the chances. Rangers getting some room up front but AZ the more dangerous side .

4. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    AZ's flank play giving the Rangers defense quite some trouble...

5. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    AZ in control now... constantly coming in from the flanks. Rangers are pushed back but putting up a good fight. Great match so far!

6. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Obdam almost phvcks it up... giving that Spanish guy a free passage to AZ goal... but the goalie saves it. Close one.

7. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    from BBC.co.uk: "The half-time whistle goes in Holland with AZ deservedly ahead against Rangers thanks to Denny Landzaat's 7th minute goal."

8. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    2nd half 67th minute. Rangers now clearly dominating, but not creating any big chances. AZ playing a bit chaotic now.

Biggest chance of the 2nd half was for AZ after a mixup between Rangers defence and their goalie.

9. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    AZ lucky as Lindbergh heads a ball off the line after a Rangers corner.

AZ playing very badly at the moment, having trouble completing just about any pass. It will be a tense last seven minutes.

10. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    AZ defense doing quite well under pressure.... but they mess it up up front where they hand in the ball any chance they get.

4 minutes official playing time left.

11. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    AZ making life difficult for themselves as the match is nearing the end. 2 minutes extra time.

Free kick A about 15 metres in Rangers territory. Nelisse to Ramzi. Throw in.

12. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Full time. 1-0 AZ.

First half was for AZ, second half was chaos and saw Rangers putting pressure on the home team. But AZ having the better of the play on average.

13. Qaabus

Qaabus New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    With Heerenveen drawing Dinamo Zagreb 2-2,
    we could be looking at 5 Dutch teams in Europe after the winterbreak :eek:

14. 1900AFCA1900

1900AFCA1900 New Member

May 4, 2004
    Utrecht, Holland
    AZ was better than Glasgow Rangers, but the second half was the worst half of the season by AZ. I hope that Heerenveen and Ajax will make it into the next round of the UEFA cup. That will be a great result: psv in the CL, Ajax, AZ, Heerenveen and feyenoord in the UEFA cup.

15. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    another nice win for AZ - i love watching these guys play, they remind me a bit of the current everton: everyone is on the same page and they dare to be excellent

16. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    Just came back from watching the match in a pub in London. I have to admit I had never heard of AZ before this season, and never seen them play. Good stuff, they were clearly the better team. Alkmaar rings a bell, is that where they roll the big bits of cheese around?

17. CdnBhoy67 redded

CdnBhoy67 redded Red Card

Dec 2, 2004

Yes well done to AZ, they made the week end on a good note.

18. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Is anyone thinking like me that the Dutch league isn't so bad? PSV held their own v the English champions, AZ beat the Scottish league leaders, Feyenoord the German no. 2.

19. MKO|||

MKO||| Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    well, you gotta admit that schalke wasnt playin at full strength and with the right engagement. but nevertheless, i always thuoght that the top 3 teams of the dutch league were somewhat competetive in europe and the rest was crap. should change my view now. heerenveen(sp?) beat vfb stuttgart one or two weeks ago too.

20. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    That's my point exactly, I always thought we (the rest) were pretty rubbish as well but it turns out that that's not the case.

21. White-green Pride

FC Groningen
    Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2001
    Groningen, Nederland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    well, most of us (the rest) are still crap on the international level. But there are at least a few teams each season that can do well.....Roda had some nice stretches in europe in the past, now it's AZ and Heerenveen

22. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Anyone happen to see that Heerenveen header bounce off the crossbar in the last minute of extra time? :D

23. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    That was a shame wasn't it! That Heerenveen game was the most surprising of the lot if you ask me.