Aya Miyama and Camille Abily at the Olympics

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Sol' started by kolabear, Aug 7, 2012.

1. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Katreus, SiberianThunderT and 8MaCookies repped this.
  2. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    There's another picture of those two that someone posted in the Japan forum that is so adorable. For me, it was definitely the picture of the day.

8MaCookies and kolabear repped this.
  3. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for pointing that out!

Here's a couple more photos from the NBC news article by Natalia Jimenez:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Katreus, 8MaCookies and Romario'sgurl repped this.
  4. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This should be the highlight of the tournament, period. The ultimate act of sportsmanship.

And G, Romario'sgurl and kolabear repped this.
  5. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Brittany Bock, another key member of that LA Sol team, on Twitter:

Perhaps if her foot/ankle injuries have healed we'll be seeing Bock at the next World Cup and Olympics?!

6. And G

And G Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Club:
    Okayama Yunogo Belle
    Brings back memories...

kolabear repped this.
  7. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more I think about our old team, the more I wonder whatever happened to Brittany Bock and Alison Falk? I mean those were some really wonderful players and not once have they had a look for the national team.

Regarding Miyama Abily photo, it made me cry just remembering that season where I went to see all their home games

kolabear repped this.
  8. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    How are they going to get playing time if Engen, Klingerberg, Press can't get any mintues. And Sauerbrunn can barely get playing time? And KO now playing fullback gets mintues but could barely get playing time as an outside mid(when she's a striker/winger).

If Pia stays on after the Olympics I seriously hope all the new players are able to play and alot of players on the current roster and WWC2011 roster are cut.

Germany qualifing for the Euors & playing the Algarve Cup have given multiple new players quality playing time.

kolabear repped this.
  9. Greg_G

Greg_G Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Germany basically hit the end of an era and multiple players were heading into retirement. The US looks like they're at that point. Boxx, Mitts, Wambach winding down, Rampone, Lindsey. I think Engen and Klingenberg will definitely get a look at center back and outside back respectively, Press may push Rodriguez for a roster spot, Brittany Bock and Yael Averbuch will get a look at replacing Boxx. I'm sure they'll have one eye on Hagen, who is the only player in the pool who could possibly replace Abby in terms of style of play. With three years until the next major tournament this is the time for looking at new players.

Edit: By the way, love Miyama and Abily. I want to hug them. Camille, stop crying, you're breaking my heart.

kolabear repped this.
  10. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OTOH:

1. Euros group qualifying stage - There are strong teams, of course --- but every group also has a bunch of minnows. Plenty of low-risk opportunities to try new players.

2. Algarve - I'm curious how Germany being out of the tournament affected their thinking going into Algarve. I'm fairly certain that's part of it. A lot of Olympics teams did play around with the fringe players to get a look but the core of their team were pretty similar to the WWC (if they were there) and what they brought to the Olympics.

11. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Same can be said with the number of friendlies we played this year and it was the same starting 11 or close to it that we always see.

Fair point about Germany being out.

All the Euro teams were experimenting with new player. France was one of those teams experimenting, I seriously wished we could have seen players like Henry, she play DM/holding mid for Lyon she's good. And there were some young player 22 and under used for friendles/euros/cyprus cup.

Japan used a bunch of players, they didn't hammer home a starting 11 still the Oylmpics(KO stages). Sweden tested new young players, for this Olympics, even thou they don't have to qualify for Euro 2013(there hosting it). Brazil even though they only played a few matches and for them don't really have matches at all to intergrate new players other than WWC/Olympics/Sudamericano/Pan Games. They don't have a schedule like us(USWNT).

Not all the team brought whole sale changes to the Olympics, enough experimented during the time between WWC & Olympics with new players.

12. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There's plenty of spots A-Rod can play not just as striker. Hagen can play the possesion style that Pia was talking about adopting. Not sold on Averbuch anymore. I like Bock, Klingenberg, Press, Engen, Saurbrunn, Hagen, Vicki and Tina DiMartino, Brittany Taylor(fullback & CB), Levin. I seriously hope Tina gets more looks she's a natural CM/CAM creative to.

13. Greg_G

Greg_G Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree with this 100%. I've been waiting for Tina DiMartino to get a serious look. Great on the ball, good work rate, tough, and consistent.

14. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was so looking forward to watching Tina play for the Sol when the team folded. I loved her during her UCLA days, one of the great pleasures of watching college soccer.