Avoiding Injury?

Discussion in 'Player' started by Fireman Soccer Dad, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Fireman Soccer Dad

Fireman Soccer Dad New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Hurst, TX
    Last season I ruptured my Achilies Tendon, and missed the whole season plus the next. Now 2 weeks into indoor - I severly sprained my ankle by "rolling" it while doing an inside cut.

Am I doing something wrong - not training properly - not stretching enough?

I'm 29 - a physically fit male - looking for some answers?

Thanks.

2. southckid10

southckid10 New Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Connecticut
    hmm...

well idk bout your ankles that just all depends on how u land on your foot..but the achilles you can stretch by doing presses on an incline or on a wall..go to google and type like achilles tendon stretching..

hope that helps

cheers

3. CC05

CC05 Member

Jul 16, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    There are so many factors that could play into why you rolled your ankle. Have you had injuries with it in the past? Indoor so, was the turf you were on in good/bad condition? Were your boots tied tight enough that it wouldn't be easy to just roll around in 'em? etc.

4. ADIKeeper

ADIKeeper New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Severely spraining an ankle is worse than breaking it because it will always be weak and prone to further injury. The main thing you need to do is strengthen it as much as you can. If you keep rolling it, there is probably something wrong with the way your brain sees your foot in space. In other words, it does not know it is rolling, so it can't use the muscles to put it back into place.

I had the same problem you had. What I did was stand on one foot and count to 30. I'd close my eyes and do it. I'd stand on a pillow or any kind of un-even object so my foot could get used to righting it's self, rather than letting it buckle. The main thing is to tone the muscles in your foot so it wont roll anymore. I hope this helped.

5. guado

guado Member+

Jun 30, 2004
    ocotengo miedo
    Club:
    Inverness Caledonian Thistle
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    i have rolled both my ankles btu my right one is really troublesome. it's been sprained or rolled between 10-15 times. last year my doctor made me go to physical therapy last year or else he wouldn't let me play high school soccer. they gave me soem tubing(pretty much a ruber band) and a list of exercises. they gave me 2 exercises with the tubing, heel lifts, and then he told me to stand on a pillow with my eyes closed for 5 minutes(not standing the whole time, but pretty much trying to balance myself on it.) the exercises REALLY helped. the thing is i get confident and stop doing them. just keep teh exercises and you should be fine(even though, when you roll it once, your prone to do it again, liek adikeeper said.)

6. Fireman Soccer Dad

Fireman Soccer Dad New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Hurst, TX
    I really appreciate the tips and pointers - until it gets a bit stronger, does anyone play with ankle support braces? I saw them at a store today and thought about picking one up for a try.

7. ADIKeeper

ADIKeeper New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Avoid buying the kind you see in the drug stores-- they dont fit in soccer shoes. They also tend to give some pretty mean blisters. Just speaking from experience, don't know about everyone else.

Try looking for some braces in specialty shops. Orthopedic shops and some soccer stores sell soccer-specific braces. Good luck.