Austrian Bundesliga - Round 1

Discussion in 'Austria & Switzerland' started by Schwarzweiss, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Schwarzweiss

Schwarzweiss New Member

May 29, 2003
    Graz (Austria)
    The first Round in Austria's Bundesliga is going to be completed on the next Saturday, when Sturm Graz plays its away game at the promoted club SV Mattersburg. They cancelled the game because two important players for Sturm (Säumel and Salmutter) are at the Under19 European Championships.
    The games so far:

FC KÄRNTEN - AUSTRIA VIENNA 2:1
    The first big sensation of the season. Nobody expected Kärnten to beat the champion of Austria. In front of 10.000 in the Wörhersee-stadium, the Carinthians are playing Vienna dizzy.

RAPID VIENNA - SV PASCHING 4:2
    I think this was expectable. Rapid's victory was never really in danger.

SW BREGENZ - SV SALZBURG 1:0
    The next sensation. The nearly relegated squad from last year fighting the UEFA-Cup-Starters to death. The only goal of the game scored last year's best goal scorer, Axel Lawaree from Belgium.

GRAZ AK - ADMIRA WACKER MÖDLING 1:0
    Expectable. GAK should have made 4 or 5, but Admira's Keeper, Wolfgang Knaller (41 years of age...) was like a human wall in that game. The only goal scored the Macedonian Ilco Naumoski.

2. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I was looking forward to watching Mattersburg vs. Sturm on ORF this weekend (Gress' debut), but then I found out it isn't until next weekend...

3. Schwarzweiss

Schwarzweiss New Member

May 29, 2003
    Graz (Austria)
    I'm going to Mattersburg next Saturday, to support the Blackies... One point from Burgenland would be statisfying...

4. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Is that right? They show 4 Bundesliga matches a week on TV? Must be the PPV thing. Pick one of the four or whatever.

5. Schwarzweiss

Schwarzweiss New Member

May 29, 2003
    Graz (Austria)
    As I know they bring on one game live, and the others are brought on in that program called "Bundesliga" on ORF...

6. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Okay. I couldn't tell. That's still pretty cool.

7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I always thought Premiere has an Austrian Sports Package that shows all the games live...

Schwarzweiss, does Sat1 have an Austrian "window" as they do for the Swiss Super League?

8. Schwarzweiss

Schwarzweiss New Member

May 29, 2003
    Graz (Austria)
    SwissGCZ

Premiere shows one game of the Bundesliga live, but another one than ORF brings on.
    For Sat1: I don't think so, but I'm not sure...

9. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    What do you mean by window? Video clips of the matches?

10. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    By window I mean special programing for a certain area/country. While the regular Sat1 program is shown in Germany, Switzerland viewers get to see a live transmission of a Super League game...

They also do this with commercial breaks, so that private stations like Sat1, Pro7 etc. get to make money of local Swiss companies that want to reach the Swiss viewers watching German tv. You have to understand, Austria and Switzerland are very small countries and are heavily influenced by German tv.

11. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    They do have a show on in the afternoons that's all Austrian. It's about half an hour long, and last time I saw it, they were doing a report on a youth soccer tournament in Austria. I honestly don't watch enough TV to be able to tell you whether they cover the Austrian Bundesliga though.

BTW, how were you going to watch Mattersburg vs. Sturm on ÖRF (incidentally, Gress's debut was against Kärnten, not Mattersburg)? Do you somehow get ÖRF where you live?

12. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    So the Germans would see a Bundesliga match instead...Cool. Yes. They are heavily influenced. By France too. But less so. Paris is a good distance away and it's odd how I could understand the people on TSR.Ch. Maybe it's because they were speaking so slowly...

13. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Yes - I get ORF1 and ORF2. I'm sure West Austria also gets SF1 and SF2. Vienna on the other hand is too far East already it seems (by your statement). With that said, I did catch the Bundesliga show last night, as well as the second half of the U19 Austria-Portugal game...

14. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Gotcha, I was thinking you were still in Tejas.

The Austria/Portugal game was amazing. I was very surprised to see how strong the Austrians were. Let's hope they're this good in ten years' time.

15. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I'm sure Canal+ has a big role in the Romandie (West Switzerland), but I can't say for sure. Maybe Rob can enlighten us...

16. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Nope. Got vacation right now :)

So do you get SF1 & 2 in Vienna?
    Yes, that was very impressive. Not quite as impressive as our U17 team last year, but pretty close ;)

17. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Nope. The only thing we get is the Swiss news on 3Sat.

Shame, I enjoy listening to Schwiezer Dutsch and trying to figure out what the hell they're saying.

18. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Haha, I hear you. I sometimes need to listen twice also to understand what those clowns from Bern say...

19. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Yes. You're right. After all, they owned Lyon and Servette. But I meant because of the Paris effect on France. Less so for Switzerland but a general influence from all of France.

20. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Gotcha. What is your connection to Austria and Switzerland by the way? ...Just curious?

21. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    I've been to Switzerland and travelled around most of the tourist spots from Berne to the west. Also interesting in the Swiss league. The rivalries, the small country surrounded by big soccer powers factors and I've seen some good play from the Swiss clubs and national team. Austria too. And the fact that is so hard to find highlights from a first division in Europe for free. And also the small country factor and Austria, like Switzerland, used to be quite a powerhouse in world football. Switzerland less so but they have had some good teams in the past. Anyway, is this going to be the thread for each round or is a new going to be started up for each round?

22. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I see...

Good to have you on the board. The fact that you aren't a MetroSARS fan makes you even more likable ;)

23. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The first round will be completed today with the Mattersburg - Sturm match. The Pappelstadion has been expanded to about 15,000 for the Bundesliga, and a big crowd is expected for this game.