Austria - Hungary (R)

Discussion in 'Group F - Portugal, Iceland, Austria, Hungary' started by nirvaanfc, Jun 12, 2016.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Fantastic way to basically end it.

This is why I love the Expanded Euro. A team like Hungary would have never have made it in years past.
    For the Futbol romantics a win like this makes us smile. I hope their fans celebrate all night. (safely).

JoseEmidio repped this.
  2. ExpatSwede

ExpatSwede Member

IF Elfsborg
    Sweden
    Jun 6, 2005
    California
    Looks like Austria have been found out... They had a stunning period of form during the qualifying where they played far better than normal, but they now appear to have bought their own hype.

Good job Hungary.

3. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I have always felt like the European national team depth is very good - nobody got blown out, with all the lesser lights (i.e. Albania, Northern Ireland, Hungary, Iceland, Wales, etc.) having given good solid performances/displays.

When one considers the teams that missed out (i.e. Netherlands, Denmark, Serbia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, etc.), you realize that 24 is definitely a better number than the old 16 - at least in my opinion.

4. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    I thought Austria were very unlucky, credit to Hungary for the result but this result has really thrown a spanner in the works for this group.

5. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    So happy for this Hungarian group ... Bernd Storck tinkered a lot in qualifiers with different players coming in and out of the lineup with mixed results. Against Austria he put out the most talented attackers in the country with Szalai, Dzsudzsak, Nemeth, Kleinheiser, Gera and Stieber off the bench. Some of those players have had difficult club seasons with little playing time and us Hungary fans haven't seen them all clicking at the same time. The Szalai goal especially could be massive for his confidence since he is probably the most criticized player by Hungarian media. We're also all excited about Kleinheiser ... the closest thing we have to a star for the future.