'Australia's AFC membership must be revoked'

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by left-footed-redded, Dec 10, 2006.

1. When did the Aussies play Iraq? Please don't tell me the good will friendly from 2005. :rolleyes:

2. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If you don't want to count the friendly then we beat Iraq on March 11 1973 in a World Cup qualifier.

3. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    More reason to believe that the AFC is the most backward federation...:mad:

4. Spherical

Spherical New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Well, this is not that surprising.

With inclusion of Australia, there is now a "Big Five" instead of "Big Four" in
    Asia, and former contenders (such as Kuwait, Uzbekistan, Bahrain, China,
    Jordan, UAE etc.) for the 5th place will now have to settle for the 6th place
    at best. Of course, this is assuming that they aren't really trying to kick the
    butts of the Big Five by growing stronger, which may or may not apply,
    depending on the country.

I won't be surprised if an another nation supported this claim by Kuwait. But
    hey, as a Japanese, I'm all for an inclusion of Australia into Asia. :)

5. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    LOL. nice to remind us something happened before 35 years and linked it to the subject.

any way I don't see a Problem of Australia joining Asia.

6. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    I really not afraid from Australia team...

7. ruud van semz

ruud van semz Red Card

Dec 27, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    well you shouldnt be, iraq are way better than australia.

8. Faran

Faran New Member

Nov 24, 2006
    MA
    Unlike some Arab countries, Iraq plays with honor and has a good youth team. If they had better resources and situation they could better carry that success to the first team.

However, some countries are afraid of the world outside Asia. They have their hands full trying to cheat their way past already existent powers in Asia. so scary European-like Australia is unwelcome to them ;)

I'm thrilled that Australia is in.

9. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    Couldn't agree with you any more, Faran. Iraq, despite it's obvious handicaps at the moment, have played well in all competitions lately.

10. TheHiddinkEffect

TheHiddinkEffect Red Card

Oct 10, 2006
    I find that hard to believe. Perhaps in the past they were better but its definatly not the case now. Not that I am saying Iraq isn't a good team, especially given their circmstances but they are certainly not better than Australia. :cool:

11. Yabyab

Yabyab New Member

Oct 30, 2004
    I am surprised that people want Australia in to improve their teams. What are the odds of an X Asian team to play against Australia a year? How many competitions are going to be held a year? Let's take it as an average, tops tops an Asian team could play against Australia once a year. So, how is this going to improve the Asian soccer?

The problem is, if Australia joined with all Oceania's countires that would befine because we'd win at least 0.5 spot in world cup. But at this point, since Australia would qualify easily from Asia to world cup and if they did Asia lost 1 spot. It could be Korea, Japan, KSA, Iran, China..etc who would lose the chance to participate in the World Cup.

If you're an Asian soccer fan and think adding Australia is a good thing. How would you find it if your team, who has been playing in WC for years and years get knocked out by Australia this time. Do you feel your team have "improved", I don't think so.. the best challenge is in participating in the World Cup and now you lost your spot and you're staying home.

12. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005
    I disagree with your point. The top 4 countries in Asia are capable of beating Australia. So Australia has to play its very best and it won't be easy for them to reach the world cup.
    I like your point about all the oceania countries being included in the asian region. Then that would definitely be an improvement to asian soccer.

13. ruud van semz

ruud van semz Red Card

Dec 27, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    i think the benefits of australia being in the afc is having one more good team in there that is capable of taking down top euro and south american opposition.. remember, we should be working with eachother, not against... except in asia cup :p

14. Spherical

Spherical New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Indeed there would be a relatively small chance that a given team would play
    Australia on a yearly basis. But Australia is going to play SOMEBODY at least,
    and that will increase the overall competition.

I don't think that Australia will qualify easily from Asian qualifying rounds. It
    IS true that they are the highest-ranked team at the moment, but they have
    not experienced the Asian qualifying rounds yet, and their lack of experience
    could very well harm them. It would be SURPRISING if they don't qualify for
    the WC2010, but it would not be SHOCKING. So there's no point in talking
    about Iran/Japan/SK/SA/etc. losing their spot as if that was a given.

And as one Japan team fan and one Japanese, I will voice my opinion out
    loud: if Japan gets knocked out by Australia, then Japan doesn't deserve to
    go to World Cup. Playing in World Cup would be a big chance for improvement
    indeed, but that is a privilege to be won, not a right to be given.

15. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think that based on the last world cup results that if Australia had not joined Asia then Asia's allocation would have been reduced to 4 (if not 3.5) and OFC's increased to 1. Australia has already contributed to keeping World Cup spots for Asia. Having more nations capable of performing well at the World Cup is the best way to gain more opportunities for other nations in Asia to compete at a World Cup.

16. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    I don't think it would have happened for 2010. Back when they set up the 2006 qualification scheme (the last minute change) it was sort of intimated that the system would hold for South Africa as well (I remember being particularly annoyed by it).

However, I do agree that adding Australia will help boost the AFC's spots for 2014 and beyond. We all need to do well in South Africa for this to happen. That means hoping that the best 5 Asian sides go there (and that may include NZ! - although I don't think they would be top 5, top 10 maybe) and that we all do well.

Here's hoping for a rematch of Japan v Australia ...

... in the World Cup semi finals.

J

17. AussieLionHearts

AussieLionHearts BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 23, 2006
    Sydney
    Australia "stayed home" for nearly 30 years, so I think whatever team did lose to Australia should just get over it. Please read my "Craig Foster" inspired article for a better idea of the benefits of Australia joining the AFC. :D

18. iowa007

iowa007 Member

Apr 30, 2001
    California
    Can someone please explain why the other AFC members have such a problem with australia joining their federation? I have always thought that the Oceania federation should have been absorbed into the AFC a long time ago? or that some Asian teams join the Oceania federation? because it has always been a weak federation.

IOWA007 from California.

19. AussieLionHearts

AussieLionHearts BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 23, 2006
    Sydney
    Basically some people, namely the "Sheik" and his brother have a problem with Asian or Arab countries losing to Australia because they are newcomers and have stirred the Asian Football pot, because I certainly don't see why the president of the West Asian games and Olympic committee would be concerned about a handful of teams from a confederation they aren't even involved with, losing out now that Australia has left the Oceanic confederation. If Oceania is too weak without Australia then have Oceania join Asia, make the competition even bigger. It's just sour grapes really.

20. SSbit

SSbit New Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Sydney
    i guess some members in the AFC are scared because they may lose a qualification spot to Australia

before australia joined the AFC, i guess there were the big 4 countries of japan, south korea, iran, and saudi arabia fighting for 4.5 spots - there is a chance for the second tier asian countries such as kuwait, bahrain, china to get a spot

now there is a 'big 5' if u include australia fighting for an unchanged number of world cup qualification spots - this means that the second tiered countries have a tougher challenge to qualify for the world cup

21. iowa007

iowa007 Member

Apr 30, 2001
    California
    thanks for the explanation and clarification guys.

IOWA007

22. Kinnoutou

Kinnoutou New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Gold Coast, AUS
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    That point about losing a qualification spot to Australia, didn't AFC's .5 change to vs. the OFC team or something like that for 2010, so its not really any different, Asian teams would of had to face Australia anyway. They should be thankful for this, which of the big 5 or a surprise team is going to have an easier time with New Zealand or the Solomans than with Trinidad and some of the central American teams

23. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    we don't care Australia, asian teams had already kicked their ass in women asian cup, Asian U-17 cup and asian youth cup, just let those aussies insist asian football is a joke and they will rule the continent easily :p

PS: most of the asian countries still believes australia is not a asian country and seems they'll never take australian as asian

24. MVFC

MVFC New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Melbourne 5-0
    Yes you do.

You are scared.

There is a bigger fish in the pool and he's going to fark you up.

So scared infact you make ill-logical, racist statements saying we shouldn't be in AFC.

Well you fear is justifed my son.

Asian Cup winners 2007: Australia.

Comming runners up is having our ass kicked?

We had a retarted coach.

Will will win the next one with ease, with a proper coach running things.

Asian football is a joke.

Bow down to your new king.

PS: Australian couldn't give a **** what Asia thinks.

25. moqool

moqool Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Hello people.

I'm a Kuwaiti citizen. I'd like to voice my opinion, if you guys dont mind. :)

First of all, I'm against having Australia in the AFC. The AFC was made for Asian countries. It wasn't made for Oceanic countries. I'm also against having Kazakhstan in the UEFA board. I believe Kazakhstan must come back to the AFC. I also believe that Israel should belong to the AFC.

That's my opinion. Please respect it. :)

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that Shaikh Talah did not go against Australia for that reason. He went against Australia because Bahrain stole Kuwait's spot in the Asian Cup Qualifiers. Obviously, he can't go against Bahrain (LOL), so he ends up going against Australia in order for the AFC to pull Australia's license. If Australia's license is pulled, then they would be replaced by Kuwait in the Asian Cup tournament. For that reason, I believe, Shaikh Talal went against Australia's presence in the AFC board.

In my opinion, Shaikh Talal has too much time in his hands. He mocks Australia's presence, rather than fix Kuwait's football problems. It's sad how we look at other people's problems, before looking at our's first. We need to sell our clubs to the private sector, issue incentives, proper salary/monetary systems, and increase football's popularity in our country. That, in my opinion, is more important than sniffing around the Socceroos' buttocks.