Australian Team News

Discussion in 'GROUP C: France, Peru, Denmark, Australia' started by almango, Dec 11, 2017.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    What do you guys think will happen tomorrow? How do you think Australia will set up their team? Which players are being projected to start?

2. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think Van Marwijk will try the same tactics and formation as the Norway game. Give it another chance to see if they can get anywhere with it. But I do think that almost all of the starting 11 will change from the Norway game other than maybe the centre of defense which is a bit bare at the moment due to injuries.

HomietheClown repped this.
  3. ZelicMaestro

ZelicMaestro Member

Liverpool FC
    Australia
    Jan 16, 2018
    #53 ZelicMaestro, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    To add to Witness' comments above, my guess is we'll stick with Van Marwijk's preferred 4-2-3-1 blueprint, but with a number of personnel changes. Tom Rogic (Celtic) will definitely start, and I think Massimo Luongo (QPR, English Championship) and Tomi Juric (Luzerne, Switzerland) will slot into the centre of midfield and up front respectively. I think he'll also make a couple of changes in defence, although our two first-choice centre-backs are currently injured.

Hopefully Aaron Mooy will get at least a half (on top of the full game he played against Norway), as I'd like to see he and Luongo fill the two centre-mid positions at the World Cup, and they need to build some synchronicity. For mine, Mile Jedinak - our captain - is too slow these days to compete with the French, Danish and Peruvian mids.

Our line-up could look something like this:

Jones
    Risdon Susnjar Degenek Meredith
    Mooy Luongo
    Kruse Rogic Rukavytsya
    Juric

I'd expect a few changes at half-time, too, with Tim Cahill among those who need some game time.

Out of the side I've named above, I'd expect Mooy, Luongo, Rogic and (maybe) Juric to be in our best 11 come June. So it's a mix of starting 11, bench players and guys who are fighting to be in the squad.

As for the game itself - god help us, especially if Colombia picks something close to its best team! Your boys are a chance to make the semis in Russia, by my reckoning.

Are you expecting Rodriguez, Falcao, Davinson Sanchez et al to start? Or will it be largely a second 11?

HomietheClown repped this.
  4. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    hehe the danish :)

ZelicMaestro repped this.
  5. ZelicMaestro

ZelicMaestro Member

Liverpool FC
    Australia
    Jan 16, 2018
    Haha - the Dutch wish they were going to Russia! I've edited my post. ;)

HansWorldCup repped this.
  6. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Do you think Jedinak could play in the centre of defence?

7. ZelicMaestro

ZelicMaestro Member

Liverpool FC
    Australia
    Jan 16, 2018
    Depending on the opposition, I think he could, as he's good in the air and passes the ball well.

His lack of leg speed is a real worry, though. And he hasn't been playing every game for Aston Villa this season, either, which wouldn't be helping his match-sharpness

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #58 HomietheClown, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    It should be largely the second team. Some media reports even speculating Pekerman trying a new formation with a back line of three CB's which we almost never play.

I do expect the benchers to be ready to fight and claw and show that they should be starters. I also expect that the starting names you mentioned may see action in the second half.

9. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Australian 26 man squad

Goalkeepers:
    Brad Jones, Mat Ryan, Danny Vukovic

Defenders: Aziz Behich, Josh Brillante, Milos Degenek, Fran Karacic, Matt Jurman, James Meredith, Mark Milligan, Josh Risdon, Trent Sainsbury

Midfielders: Jackson Irvine, Mile Jedinak, Massimo Luongo, Aaron Mooy, Dimitri Petratos, Tom Rogic, James Troisi

Forwards: Daniel Arzani, Tim Cahill, Tomi Juric, Robbie Kruse, Mat Leckie, Andrew Nabbout, Nikita Rukavytsya

10. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  11. MuzG

MuzG New Member

Brisbane