Australian Football is now FREE!

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Auxodium, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    YES CHANNEL 7 HAS GIVEN UP THE RIGHTS for the Socceroos and NSL. ASA has stated that ALL contracts signed under SA are void making the tv rights worthless. SBS are hot on the trail to get the gig and Lowy has strongly indicated that they will.

GREAT NEWS FOR ALL

DIE CHANNEL 7!

2. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    This will be a good indicator as to how seriously the stations take Australian soccer. If they take it seriously then Channel 7 will challenge the ruling. If not then they will just let the rights go.

Crowdie.

3. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Channel 7 have not persued the rights and have let the rights go. Still it hasn't been confirmed but SBS should get the rights now. 7 never took sports seriously only AFL and the Olympics they really cared about. Good i hope it goes to SBS

4. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SBS will probably get the rights now. With their track record in the sport and broadcasting it, I can't see them not being the favourites.

But just to be different, I'd like to see Nine get it. Can you imagine Eddie McGuire calling Socceroos games, if his calls of Collingwood AFL games and Australia v Ireland international rules games are any indication? :D

5. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    What about Network Ten?

Then again, I wouldn't expect anything positive from the Asper family.

6. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    Soccer, I thought, was only viewed on SBS. After reading all about it in The Age a couple of weeks ago, I realised that I was wrong.

But I think Soccer will be great to watch on SBS

7. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nine shared the last contract for the World Cup finals with SBS, so I wouldn't necessarily call them newcomers in the circles of soccer broadcasting.

That consortium between Nine and SBS did allow the games from being kept off pay TV (eg., Foxtel, Austar, Optus, Neighborhood Cable, etc.), so it was a very good thing that Nine got involved.

Wouldn't be surprised if they got involved with the bidding again, this time insofar as the Socceroos/NSL broadcasts are concerned.

8. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    Agree here.

9. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    9 played the second round up to the Final and they introduced the worst thing EVER for Australian football, ANDY HARPER. He has made the games unbearable to listen too at most due to his stupid voice and 9 stated that he was a well respected highly capped Socceroo, HE NEVER WAS and that is an insult to the Socceroos who have played for our great nation. 9 are not serious with the football as it is Channel Eddie ONLY SBS are dedicated enough to play the NSL and Socceroo matches. The have nutured the game since day one.

And My 300th post YAY!
    check http://www.oceania.soccergaming.com for all thing Oceanic

10. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the first leg of the International Rules Series right now only reinforces one thing in my mind... Eddie McGuire would be spectacular as the next voice of the Socceroos, should Nine make a bid.

When he's calling for your team, there's no one better here, as far as pure passion and capturing the moments of a game, combined, are concerned.

Hey, if Rex Hunt can call World Cup qualifiers on radio for 3AW, as was the case for the Socceroos against Uruguay in 2001, then Eddie is equally as qualified, in full song of voice, to call Socceroo games, friendlies as well as the games that matter.

I'm sure that SBS would be the odds-on favourite to land the next contract, and rightfully so. But let's not count Nine out of it, at least not yet.

11. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    I suppose but Eddie does crap on a lot with stupid stuff that doesn't matter.

12. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Every time the ref makes a 50/50 call Eddie will be asking him if he wants to phone a friend to verify the decision :)

Crowdie

13. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Do you have a video copy of the International Rules games? If you have I would be keen to get a copy off you as my wife, being Irish, is a keen Gaelic player and the games are not being shown over here.

Crowdie

14. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great line, Crowdie.

Or, you know the situation will come up where Eddie's going to say... "The hot seat's empty... oh, no! We're in trouble!!" :D

I'll see what I can do about taping Friday night's International Rules game for you. I'm scheduled to work tomorrow (Friday) night. Unfortunately, I did not tape the first test.

PM me, so we can arrange something.

15. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    I hope SBS get the rights for the New season. Also it wouldn't hurt if 9 plays the match of the round but not to clash with the game to draw away crowds. Ie play Glory away game ONLY for Perth viewers and Play Glory home games ONLY in country WA and interstate. Same with the other clubs.