Australia vs Paraguay: Post Match

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Cloudkicker09, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Cloudkicker09

Cloudkicker09 Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Windy City, Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Re: Australia v Paraguay: Pre-Match Thread

I am only going to say this once

WE NEED A EUROPEAN COACH. ARNIE CANNOT DO THIS JOB

WE FINALLY SCORED AND THEN....Socceroo whose name starts with a B kicks an OWN GOAL!!!! We should have won, but b/c of that stupid goal....

Arnie I am holding you personally responsible!!!!

2. Akumastarr

Akumastarr New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Umm, you are holding Arnie responsible for a player heading a ball creating an own goal within 2 min he was put on the field...

It's hardly Arnie's fault but we do need a real coach

3. pepsi

pepsi Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Sydney, Australia

Where is the post match thread? I couldn't find it

So.. <<SPOILERS>>

Anyway, overall it wasn't a terrible game, we dominated, the own goal by Beauchamp was a shocker, but at the end of the day i'm glad he didn't do it to Kalac who finished with a clean sheet for his final game, and i'm glad we didn't end up losing 1 - 0 from it (thanks to big Popa)

I wouldn't hold Arnold responsible, although his determination to send the retiree's off just so they could get a standing ovation was a bit silly, although to his credit, he knew Popovic was doing a great job so he left him until the very end, and really what are the odds that the sub would have been responsible for an own goal in the very final minute...

What did show though was the lack of direction which at least is partly due to us not having a proper coach, although i still think its mostly up to lack of game time and preperation between the players

Still, with a good coach, some work on set peices and a player or two who can actually cross the ball properly (please!), everything should be good

Bresciano didn't impress me, he had a pretty good shot on goal but directed it right to the keeper, if it was low or high and in the corner, he would at least have made the keeper work for it, if not got a goal from it

Lazaridis had a great last game, its a shame he had to go off so early, but Thompson had quite a few good plays as well

4. Cloudkicker09

Cloudkicker09 Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Windy City, Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    WE NEED A EUROPEAN COACH...

I am sorry Arnie but you are cleary not qualifed to do this job. We need someone better NOW!!!!!!!!

When Papovic (sp?) scored that goal, I was like 'now that is a way to go out, scoring a goal in your last game for the Socceroos. But then his sub....What the....I cannot find the words to describe what he did..

Thoughts, Comments, Critisism (sp?)-its really early and I have been up all night, screaming at the live stream, but hey at least I saw the game without any interuptions, with FRENCH commentary. I have no idea what they said, I did not even hear them say the word goal. By the way what is the French word for goal, So that I know for Wednesday.

I will say this if Arnie values having any type of future with the Socceroos, we had better win on Wednesday and beat Bahrain. It is quite clear now that we NEED a well known European coach, and that Arnie is not the best man for this job.

I am sorry I have been up all night watching the socceroos

(someone said we needed a post match thread so here it is)

5. Akumastarr

Akumastarr New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Re: Austrlaia vs Paraguay: Post Match

Arnie isn't too blame...

Beauchamp was the one who screwed up by heading it into the goals...

6. woodzie12345

woodzie12345 New Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Australia
    yes but if we'd played some better football the own goal might've only made it a 2-1 or 3-1 victory.

7. ruud van semz

ruud van semz Red Card

Dec 27, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Re: Austrlaia vs Paraguay: Post Match

not even.. he was pushed and the ball hit his head. if schwarzer stayed on his line it would have been a easy mop up.. ohwell its only a friendly match, without looking at the score im happy about the way we played.

8. Cloudkicker09

Cloudkicker09 Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Windy City, Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    But to play better football, we need a better coach.

They were all over the place, there was no strategy, organization, the offense just was not there. Thats exactly why we need European coach.
    No offense, but the quality of playing that the Socceroos have been under Arnie, has been really bad. Granted I am glad that we qualifed for the Asian Cup final, but still some say that we got lucky.

For example: Guus trained player Papovic (sp?) scored the long awaited goal for Australia. His substitute, Arnie selected and trained Beckenkaump (sp?) scored the goal against Australia.

9. Dan-ny-m398

Dan-ny-m398 Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Long Island NY
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    Good game for the socceroos, You guys have come a long way in the last few years, You earned my respect even before this game.

10. Akumastarr

Akumastarr New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Sugarcoat it all you want man but the fact remains that Beauchamp stuffed up, what, you expect Schwarzer to have been ready for that when there is like 2 minutes left on the clock?

I'm more than happy by the way we played as well, good game and I hope we get a good victory against Bahrain on Monday

Guus didn't train Papovic, he was around way before Guus became coach, wtf and Beauchamp (sp?) wasn't trained heaps by Arnie, if anything, he probably got some tips from Guus while he was around as coach...

11. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Bresciano is not a winger, as shown from his crossing. He is more of a deep lying attacker (aka Cahill), when he was in that position he played OK tonight IMO.

For me Grella, Popa, Neill and Emmo were all outstanding. Emmos passing was pinpoint in most instances, especially from deep. He definately plays better as a fullback/ wingback or def mid, than in Farinas choice for him of "wide striker"

12. aussie_ascoli

aussie_ascoli Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Reminded me of the italy game, good distribution out from defence to midfield, but couldn't create decent chances. I think we need to attackers one to play off the line and the other to come in and produce a free man, to lay off passes.

Seeing Neeskens on the bench gave me massive thoughts of WHAT IF???
    We f*cked up there. Neeskens is a gun, even sings the national anthem during the WC, seems to have great relationships with the players, and has been trusted to be Riikard's right hand man and was Hiddinks right hand man. Another great moment was when Aus was knocked out by italy, neeskens walking with the players looking like a socceroos player rather than a coach.

13. QRoar

QRoar New Member

Jun 27, 2006
    We did, didn't we :(

14. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I just think pulling Poppa and Spider with 5 minutes to go was a silly idea. A team 1-0 down at the 85th minute mark are going to go all out for an equaliser - the last thing you want is a fresh goalkeeper and fresh centre-half who have virtually never played together before. The fact that Beauchamp and Schwarzer got mixed up and made a couple of dumb mistakes isn't really that surprising.

Arnold seems like a nice guy, and may have a good rapport with the players, but he's pretty tactically inept. It's further highlighted due to the fact that he's come in the wake of one of the best tacticians in world football.

15. Blitzwing

Blitzwing New Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Uh, what a bizzare end to the game. Even so it wasn't a bad perfomance by us but we really should of put them to the sword much sooner. Anyway let's not dwell on these things, congrats to all the retirees on there long service and next up is Bahrain!!

16. M Lo

M Lo Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Sydney
    I think one thing that has been overlooked is that it was a superb ball that was put through. Beauchamp had been on for 1 minute and as anyone that plays knows you can have a few wobbly first touches and he was at full strtch which limits your accuracy.

All in all they played awesome considering they had 2 training sessions.

I agree that Arnies time is up, but he was trying to do the right thing by the crowd and players. But as has been intimated football needs good guys... but smart guys also.

Well done Socceroos. A draw against Paraguay is a great result. Years ago there would have been a crowd of 3,000 and we would have been beaten 2-0

17. sydneyfcforme

sydneyfcforme New Member

Sep 3, 2006
    Cant beleve we lost like that! we domanated and killed them all over the ground but couldnt score and then a fairytale goal i thought had us the win! but that stupid coach pulled brought on buechamps and i had almost a heartattack when he put in the owngoal.

But it was a fun game of Football very exciting.was good to see the bois home and i cant wait too see my footballroos playing again.

18. aussie_ascoli

aussie_ascoli Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Its just we had too much bullsh1t possession, alot of possession that amounted to nothing. We only really had 3-4 decent shots, which one concluded in a goal. We needed to produce more.

19. Cloudkicker09

Cloudkicker09 Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Windy City, Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    For that alone is a reason to FIRE Arnie, and we need to plead Gus to comeback...OR Hire someone just as qualifed or better...I hear Klinsmann is looking for a job.... yeah anybody but Sven Erickson.

By the way Russia tied with ISRAEL YEAH AM YISRAEL CHAI...

I bet you are all wondering how this benefits us, well the media especially the very harsh and critical Russian media are pissed and are hailing this as a loss. They are blaming Guus, because they are currently sitting in fourth place in their qualifying group for Euro2008. Everybody is pissed off at Guus, many are calling for him to be fired, and sources say he is losing his patience with the Russian federation, and the players. I do not think that he will last two years as the head coach of Russia. The question is if he could come back, would he? I think that he would, he said that he would keep in contact with the FFA which he has, he calls Arnie every week to check up on the roos. He said he loved the experiance, so why wouldn't he come back..marks book aside.

HOWEVER, in terms of the rumor that the FFA want to keep Arnie in position until they can get Guus back in 2 years, is too risky. We need somebody now who is just as qualifed or better than Guus, who can rebuild our football program from the ground up.

20. what a goal!

what a goal! Red Card

Feb 23, 2006
    Mt Clear
    We didn't lose we actually had a 1 all draw.
    Disappointing to see one of our own players kick an own goal.

21. Gez1

Gez1 New Member

Jun 28, 2006
    It wasn't a kick, it was a beautiful header that any striker would dream of. :p

22. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The striker would have gone to ground from the push in the back to get a penalty:p

23. Decentric

Decentric Member

Jul 16, 2006
    It seems as if most of the mainstream football media consider Arnie did a good job as coach in this game. Gee, it is hard to please a lot of you guys! Also, I think to an extent there has been a disrespect shown to Paraguay by some forumites on Big Soccer. They are ranked 21 in the world and were unlucky to lose to England and Sweden in the World Cup. They had the best defence in the South American World Cup qualifiers in terms of the lowest number of goals scored against them, and they have beaten Argentina in the last year. This is a traditional South American powerhouse who have qualified for the last three or four World Cups.

Arnold speaks to Hiddink about twice a week and Hiddink passes on advice. He is trying to perpetuate the same system. Kalac and Neill/Cahill have publically supported the continuous appointment of Arnold.

I unequivocally agree the failure to resign Neeskens has been a major loss for us. It seems he is still keen to return to Australia sometime in the future, according to media comments.

24. aussie_ascoli

aussie_ascoli Member

Aug 4, 2004
    But Paraguay were missing a fair few players.

25. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Paraguay (AFAIK) were missing 2 starters - as were we.