Australia vs Chile - June 13, 2014 - Cuiabá [R]

Discussion in 'Group B: Spain, Chile, Australia, Netherlands' started by el-capitano, May 28, 2014.

1. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    He also took part in the second goal, passively, dragging defenders to cover him, allowing Valdivia to be left alone.

2. griffindinho_au

griffindinho_au Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I know, but he's more lively than what he did today.

3. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Brazil is Chile's bugaboo team. I don't think Chile has ever beaten them. I doubt they would beat them in this tournament either. Doesn't mean much unless they do meet. Even great teams have nemesis teams that always have the advantage over them... Is Germany crap because they cannot beat Italy under any competitive circumstances?
    Chile is not great but they are very good.

4. geddyleet

geddyleet Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Every single time Australia went at Chile it came as the form of a counter strike from a position where 8 Australian players were defending.

It looked like Australia came out because of how many times they were able to counter due to Chile basically gifting the ball to Australia everytime they attacked. Instead of holding possession with backpasses.

Few other teams will do that because it's a risky strategy.

Also lol comparing Chile in the Copa America years ago under another Coach to this Chile under Sampaoli.

You could say Colombia is overrated because they lost to Peru in that same Copa America.

Learn a little something about the South American sides research them. The stuff we are talking about is not coming from a position of ignorance.

5. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    We've beaten Brazil some very few times in the past, but most of the times they beat us by big scores.
    Our biggest victory over them came in the 1987 Copa America played in Argentina, where we defeated them by 4-0 and eliminated them from advancing to the semis.
    Our best recent result against Brazil, was the 2-2 draw played last year in Belo Horizonte, which would be the same stadium where we would face them this WC, if we end as second and they as first respectfully in each of our groups.

JAIME CHILE repped this.
  6. geddyleet

geddyleet Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Just to point something out.

If Spain ties or loses against Chile they are out of the World Cup.

Netherlands plays against Australia if they win they assure their spot in the next round of the World Cup, their goal differential would make it very hard for anyone to drop them down to 2nd. It would take Spain beating Australia and Chile by 5 goals + the goals Netherlands scores against Australia. Which is pretty hard.

Logically Netherlands is left in a position in their final match against Chile, irregardless if Spain beats Chile, to where they can win and still go through in the first place. It would be advantageous given the nature of the tourney (fitness is the real killer, giving your players rest instead of playing can be the difference between a win and a loss once we get to the knockout stage) to play a backup squad.

If Chile were to beat Holland they would only need to beat them by more goals than the amount of goals Spain scores again Australia and them to go forward in second place.

An if Holland really want to get back at Spain for 2010 they can arrange for that because it causes zero harm for them.

The challenges Spain face are daunting.

7. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chile are good enough to be in the last 8 and with some luck to the final 4

8. Stuart McCall

Stuart McCall New Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Fake Asians? That's pretty funny!

You don't have to patronise us, Bud.

9. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Dont exaggerate. It seemed like you watched an entirely different match.
    In 2nd half Australia increasingly asserted itself and imposed themselves on Chilean defence. Even dominating the game in a certain period of 2nd half.

10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, I don't know how much you guys read or how many prognostications you see, but from what I have seen, it was Spain first, and either Netherlands or Chile second. There have been plenty of comment in the media about Chile's attacking skill and questionable defense, both which were on display yesterday.

As for the match, when Chile played tika-taka style, they controlled the match. But it felt like after they scored the second goal, they assumed they would score the third, forth, etc. And Australia pounced, and dictated play for most of the latter part of the first half, and good portions of the second half. But they seemed to start to tire around the 60 min mark, on average, and started getting the calls against them (or not in their favor) which seemed to frustrate and Chile was able to go back on the offensive.

11. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Considering we were meant to get smacked in every game 6-0, ;) , I'm very proud of the lads today. We took the game to the Chileans and you could see the relief at beating us, which says a lot about how we played. Our new coach has gone for youth, half the team are only just in their 20's, which bodes well for us for the Asian Cup & the next World Cup if they can keep learning and gaining experience like this.

That save from Bresciano changed the whole game. If that had gone in, I think we'd be taking about an Australian win now, but a great save by Bravo, and we didn't get that second goal, and that was that. Good luck to Chile, its always good to see a team play the way they do, and makes for more entertaining games than a dour 1-0 game.

JAIME CHILE repped this.
  12. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Australia handled themselves better then I thought they would gutty performance especially after that disaster of 13 minutes. Chile attack is impressive but their defense is really suspect they beat an inferior team but they left way too much space open for Australia. Holland or an angry Spain will take advantage of that and hurt them for those mistakes. I like Chile style.

13. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    That save to Bresciano's attempt didn't have anything of "luck" in it, as the one issue that allows us to asume risks, is that despite not being so strong at defense, we have great goalkeepers, who can frustrate opponents attempts at any time just by doing what they have always been good at it, which is doing their job. Bravo, is no newbie in world football and the saves he performs, is not something of just one day, as he does it all the time. Not only against players of the level of Bresciano, but also against the best forwards in the world. "Luck" had no part in this, but his own quality or level, allows him to shine with lights of his own. Oh yes, and if he is not available, we also have Herrera, whom also is considered among the top goalkeepers in Conmebol, where to many neutral observers, he is considered even better goalkeeper than Bravo. And after both Bravo and Herrera, there is a whole load of excellent goalkeepers whom aren't very far from the level exhibited by our 2 best goalkeepers. Goalkeeping, isn't an issue, where we (Chile), could be considered as being weak.

Maybe if we didn't have goalkeepers of the level that we have, Chile wouldn't play asuming risks at all of the time, but as we do, we are in position to afford taking that risk.

14. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #139 Rickdog, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    As another issue, Chile plays possession, creating plenty of chances. Not dull, boring tiki-taka.

If Chile didn't score more goals against Australia, it is because Australia packs very well around their goal zone when it gets to defending, which I believe, will not make it easy on none of the teams that they will face this WC. It's hard for me to see them lose by bigger scores than those we achieved against them. It wouldn't surprise me, seeing them take points from either Netherlands or Spain.

15. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Did Biesa instilled that approach or was it there before? The WC98 side also was very direct, taking the ball as fast as possible to Salas and Zamorano.

16. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    As how world football was evolving to, at the time, I'd say that this mindless attacking style, came basicly through Bielsa (a "loco" was required to attempt playing this style to prove it is possible to asume taking risks), who did the same thing with Argentina, with whom he crashed at 2002 WC. Before he landed in our country, Chile played the same as most teams in the world do, putting more emphasis in protecting the back than asuming more protagonism in its games.

Chile in 1998, were basicly a defending team and the only reason we scored lots of goal is because in Zamorano and Salas, we had 2 of the best forwards in the world, both playing at their prime. As both great forwards retired, Chile almost disappeared, and only came back, thanks to Bielsa.

17. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Spain and Holland are the clear favorites, and most media sources have supported that.

18. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    You missed the full stop. I had finished talking about the game and was wishing Chile good luck for the rest of the tournament. All of that typing for nothing. My bad for wishing them luck. Bwahahaha. :D

tbitm, JAIME CHILE and Yañez repped this.
  19. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    :oops:
    Actually, I misread your post.

I thought you were saying that we only won through "luck" (I got to admit that some sort of language barrier took place inside my head :confused:), and didn't realize you were actually wishing luck to our team, instead.
    Sorry for my misinterpretation and thanks for the good wishes. :thumbsup:

I also wish the best for your team, and also believe that despite the recent defeat, as it is attempting a new begining with lots of new faces in the team, they could still surprise more than someone in what is left of this WC. And besides to help your team, you still got Cahill at his best, whom is like a "winged monster" (he doesn't jump, although he makes everybody believe he is, he actually lift-offs and flies to head the balls and wins almost all of them in the air).

20. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia
    It's pretty much all been said. Brave effort from the Socceroos...........but brave doesn't get you awarded any points and as Ange said, "this is a game where a result got away from us".
    Aussies lost the game in the first 15 minutes while still getting the stars out of their eyes but with 5-6 players having less than 10 International Caps then stage fight was always a strong possibility. Credit to Chile for capitalising as a good team should. They did seem to ease back a bit after expecting the goals to continue just as easily and that nearly came at their peril.

Cahill's goal brought the match back to life and he probably should have had another goal about 2 minutes later, but a not so good shot straight at the keeper. Wouldn't a 2-2 half time score have made for a cracker of a game?!

Great save to deny Bresciano's great shot early in the second half and if Cahill had the diving skills of Sanchez we would definately have had a PK when he was held back from making a clear header but that's not our style, pity Sanchez needs to play that way to be successful.
    I have the impression Chile can play better and are a good chance of going on to the next stage. Tough one up next with an embarrassed Spain wanting to regain face. Good luck with the rest of your tournament, Chile.

21. Wolfie65

Wolfie65 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    What I liked about the Aussie team was their quickness and their ability to shift gears from offense to defense on a dime, may have something to do with the fact that they're pretty young. Some of the more.....experienced......squads can be a little ponderous in that regard. What they have in common with the US in regards to soccer is that this is neither a particularly popular sport nor a second religion to them, which it is in most of the other countries.

22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching that match, I definitely saw comparisons with the way the US played in 02, as least the quickness aspect, and the drive. Made for a very nervy second half, even after the 60 min mark, up until the third goal.

23. maxsanta

maxsanta Member

Colo Colo
    Netherlands
    Dec 2, 2009
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    what are the suckeroos so proud about?

chile sucked to be honest, only reason the match was close

24. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Ignore him, he always brings everyone down.

25. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona