Australia v. Russia [R]

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by nsa, Sep 21, 2003.

1. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution; Boston Breakers
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    match discussion

2. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Well we are over 20 mins into the game and neither team has shown anything remotely resembling skill in either attack or defense.

IT is quite clear, even from this short viewing, that these two have nothing that could threaten any of the top teams.

However, depending on the level of play of Ghana, one of these two could advance.

If so, whoever draws them will be able to rest players that have little knocks and bumps.

It looks like the only way we will get a goal is a huge mistake or even an own goal.

Australia is dominating play so the odds are a lucky goal will be Australia’s.

Oh, I did notice one thing. THere is a Russian player with what looks to be PURPLE hair. Never would have been tolerated in the good old days of the Cold War.

3. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    The FIRST decent pass and three bad mistakes in the back by Russia and we have a goal.

You would think that Russian keepers would at least be trained as such.

THis was quickly followed by Australia scoring again; Against themselves.

At least it is funny to watch.

1-1

4. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    End first half still 1-1 there have been at least 4 good passes and 2 good shots.

At one point an Australian accused a Russian of diving and, if my Spanish caught it correctly, the commentator said, "It was not a dive, she does not have the skill to dive."

5. nsa

nsa Member+

United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can they change teams during a match?

69th minute: Foul -2 FOSTER (AUS) on 7 MACIEL MOTA (BRA)

70th minute PK missed by Russia.

6. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    I hope no one sees this game and thinks that this pathetic display is the norm for Women's soccer.

You don't suppose they both brought the winners of the adult ladies rec leagues by mistake, do you?

Nah, the play is not that good or sophisticated.

Still 1-1 in the 77nd min.

7. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    The first half was definately hard to watch. The pace was just so....off.

8. nsa

nsa Member+

United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good news is that China-Ghana starts in about an hour. :)

Oops. Alagich gets her second OG. :(

Well, not an OG. Credit given to Fomina.

9. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    FINALLY!!!!!! Russia Goal.

Pretty good shot an horrible goal keeping results in a Russian goal.

Just before the Austrailian keeper tackles a Russian forward in a play that an NFL linebacker would be proud of. No call.

Goal was justice served.

10. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    The torture is over. 2-1 Russia wins.

Is is hard for me to believe that teams this bad can get to the WWC. I guess that Women's soccer, after the top 10 or so, still has a VERY long way to go.

EDIT to add:
    The last goal was NOT an OG. It was a good shot that may have had a slight deflection but NOT an OG.

11. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poor Alagich. It wasn't her day. :(

FT Russia 2 Australia 1.

12. vivy09

vivy09 New Member

Jul 5, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    it shouldve been australia's win, or at least a draw

i feel sooooo sorry for di right now
    but im sure she can put it behind and do her best against china - shes an aweseom player and being a defender, there is always a chance of these things happening.

the task against china will be more difficult now but according to the matchcast, they again created chances but could not finish them

garriock was giving them crosses but no one there to touch them in.

LETS GO AUSSIE!!!
    U CAN DO IT!!!!!!!

13. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The TV announcer said the second one deflected off of Salisbury and not Alagich.

Either way, it was a tough loss for the Matildas.

14. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    It wasn't Alagich. Fomina took a hard shot and it deflected off of Salisbury.

15. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    i'm not going to pile on here. actually thought this a pretty entertaining game. both teams looked improved from '99 and were well-matched. tough loss for the aussies tho, who looked organized and composed...too bad they've no finishers.

16. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Aussie fans at HDC

It was most definitely an entertaining match to watch at the HDC. Even though the crowd was smaller than I would have liked to have seen, the fans there were great and showed a lot of passion.

Since I was wearing an Aussie soccer jersey (thanks to vivy09 :) ) I ended up meeting quite a few fans who had traveled to SoCal from Australia including family and friends of several of the Aussie players such as Tal Karp, Taryn Rockall, and "Di" Alagich. The GM of CyberRays, Marlene Bjornsrud, was also sitting with a large group of Aussie supporters and was even wearing an Australian soccer jersey. :cool:

17. vivy09

vivy09 New Member

Jul 5, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Re: Aussie fans at HDC

you are very welcome nordby1 :) glad to hear u had fun! espeically with ur aussie jersey and marlene was wearing one as well?! that rocks!! is it like ur one?

taryan rockall is the captain of the new south wales sapphires, the team i go for here in the WNSL - she rocks!!

so u must have met di's brother & father? i heard that they were going to be there. they all must have been so proud of these girls.

its also great to see the amount of US support over there for the girls and im sure, even though they lost, appreicate the support u are giving them.

im happy that the aussies at the c-rays has touched your hearts and of couse that goes for the players on NY & washington. even though they lost, they lost fighting and its good to know u guys will support them no matter what.

china next...what do u think?
    i hear that china didnt really get going against ghana...sounds like they are kinda saving up against the aussies...but they are beatable and coach santarc believes the team can beat them.

LETS GO AUSSIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps. do u think someone should let them know of lleyton hewitt's comeback win in the davis cup tennis against the swiss? that might spur them on a bit :)

18. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nordby1 not only wore the shirt, he got it on the Televisa pre-game show when he and 2 C-Ray fans held up the Aussie and C-Ray flags - a bunch of us got to do the 'Aussie-Oi" chant as background noise. Too bad his 3-1 Aussie win prediction didn't come true...

Me, I got to greet the players as they came onto the field to practice with my sign that had an Aussie flag and "Go Aussies" printed in the team colors.