Australia & The AFC

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by poorvi, Jul 2, 2006.

1. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The other day I was just going through the list of nations that comprise the AFC. The only new addition has been Australia. This move is not only illogical, but will harm the smaller footballing nations of Asia. Why has AFC not included Papua New Guinea or New Zealand in Asia for the world cup qualifiers? They are just as much 'asian' as Australia. This looks like a move done to appease South America, and give them their 5 spots.

With Australia no longer in the fray, The 5th placed South American team can easily dispose off what ever team it has to face from Oceania. Australia being a strong team, probably the strongest in the new AFC, one of the other "big 4" teams from Asia will lose out on qualification, and teams like Bahrain, China, Jordan etc will find qualification all the more difficult.

2. Zviggy

Zviggy New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Brisbane, Australia
    ITs definately not there appease South America. Australia have wanted this for a very long time so that we can play more competitive games more frequently and improve as a nation.

However i see your point.

I think (just a guess) the Oceania winner will however join the later stages of AFC qualifying which makes me wonder why shouldnt the other Oceania nations been introduced to Asia with Australia.

3. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    Please dont compare China with the likes of Bahrain and Jordan (one hit wonders). Besdies, if we lose a spot and are able to have a better showing, this will increase competition for the spots thus increasing the quality of game and thus a better showing on the world stage.

4. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    everyone will find Qualification more difficult~ not only us~ but also Australia~ you havn't enjoy Asian qualifier yet right?

Let me tell you what happend to us~

in 1984 we were Asian runners-up, but in 1985 qualifier we just lost to Honngkong at home and out from the qualifier~ that's our only defeat in 1986 WCQ

in 2004 we are Asian Runners-up again, two months after the Asian cup~ we lost to Kuwait 0-1, the only defeat in 2006 WCQ, and out from the qualification again.

in 2005 when others are playing WCQ~ we have no official matchs to play besides the East Asian Championship~ yes we won it but South Korea and Japan didn't use A squads. we lost to several European teams in friendly matchs like Spain, Germany, France, Ireland, Serbian, Bulgaria, Switzerland ect~ made our FIFA ranking fell to 70+, then Everyone believes China is only a third Level Asian team:rolleyes:

that is Asian Football, Strong and Big team? you'll never know what will happen to you.

5. MVFC

MVFC New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Melbourne 5-0
    Oh please.

Australia will make Asian football more competitive and tougher.

This can only be a good thing for Asia & Australia. Raising the standard is not a bad thing in any way shape or form.

[​IMG]

6. RoarPower

RoarPower New Member

Jun 22, 2006
    South East Qld
    They should have just included all of the Oceania group and called it Asia Pacific Federation and given us 5 spots. :)

7. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    FIFA should have, but the OFC (except for AUS) would not. They (OFC) are too wrapped up in themselves & their self-importance to see what's in store for them (minus AUS) in a footballing sense.

8. GreenIsle

GreenIsle Red Card

Dec 28, 2005
    Green I/Prt Douglas
  9. sammydog

sammydog Member

Jan 6, 2002
    Newcastle, Australia
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Actually I think the move may be good for NZ. They will find themselves in more tournaments at the non senior where oceania has direct qualification. In that sense it could be good for the oceania nations that we went to asia.

For asia, I can't see how the addition of Australia is a bad thing. Another strong nation leads to more competition for world cup places. Surley this will improve all of the nations in AFC.

I'm not expecting to see australia walk into the next WC, but I am expecting to see us finally play a decent amount of quality and meaningful games. Can't wait, bought tickets today for the Bahrain and kuwait games in sydney later this year.

10. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    @greenlion & txtriathlete: I did not mean to disrespect the Chinese football team. It was just an example.

I fail to see the logic behind the claim that Australia's inclusion in AFC will raise the over all quality of the AFC teams. For the past few decades, we've had Korea, Iran, and Saudi qualifying for the WC. Japan became a power a little later. But apart from these teams, which were always at a higher level than the others, how has the big 4 rivalry helped improve the standard of the game in say Syria, or India or Vietnam in the last 5 decades.
    Now, with Australia joining the AFC, the only improvement in standards would be in the teams that have a chance to actually challenge Australia for a WC spot, would see some improvement/change in their gameplay.

If Australia truly believes that its inclusion is going to improve the standard of play in Asia, why didn't Australia join CONMEBOL. Surely Australia's standard would have improved if they played Brazil and Argentina consistently over the years.;)
    Besides, if Australia are allowed to be a part of AFC, so should all other Oceanic countries.

11. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Geography is against us.

I have no problem with that, but the OFC countries don't want to join at this stage.