Blade Runner 2024: Auston Trusty at Sheffield United

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by EXALIFTIN, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Well, there is no reason why he shouldn‘t get a look at summer camp. What do Arsenal have to lose? Austin will also have some interest over there no matter what, so it‘s all good. Players who stay on the field and play fairly well are usually wanted somewhere.

Shocking, I know.:D

The Irish Rover repped this.
  2. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Birmingham have played 47 games this season in all competitions and Trusty has stated and gone the distance in all but two of them.

Players with that kind of stamina don't grow on trees. If he's transfer-listed or made available for loan in July, there's going to be a hell of a lot of interest in the Championship and I wouldn't be surprised if a few of the EPL's bottom sides made enquiries as well.

3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Starts! Coventry City (6th, desperate to hang on for a playoff spot) hosting Birmingham City (17th, with little left to play for, except pride). Good test of internal motivation.

[​IMG]

Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  4. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

The scouts in the stands would be a help in that regard :cool:

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
  7. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How would a guy who just won his club's player of the year in the Championship, and is an Arsenal player, go for so low? Because he doesn't have an English passport?

tomásbernal repped this.
  11. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Transfer fees for center backs tend to be lower. However, it is a fair point since Arsenal spent around $1.6M to get him from Colorado. This would mean his value is the same as it was around a year ago which to me sounds like him being undervalued.

I would think there would be some interest in the clubs getting promoted or those just missing relegation…Leeds perhaps?

ChicagoVT repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, TM says his value is about 9M Euros, so it's probably a case of Rangers deluding themselves.

wsmaugham, Ghost, TxEx and 4 others repped this.
  13. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do the same people who believe this also believe that Rangers would have to spend £30 to buy a £100 note?

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  14. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    2 million pounds would be equal to about 2.5 million dollars. That’s about 50% higher than 1.6. Not a HUGE increase, but an increase nonetheless.

I haven’t watched Birmingham any this year, but i don’t think the championship is really a higher level than MLS at this point. To me, a move somewhere like Rangers, or to a club higher up in the championship would seem a lot more realistic than a move to the EPL. That seems like a huge jump.

The Irish Rover and largegarlic repped this.
  15. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    If you play 45 games and are your clubs POTY in the Championship I don't think a shot at the EPL is too ambitious.

I hope he doesn't go to Scotland, even Celtic/Rangers.

I hope he moves up the Championship ladder to a bigger club aiming for promotion or he heads to the bottom half of the EPL.

The continent would be cool but the economics make it tough, its hard for most continental clubs to compete with the EPL or even Championship/Old Firm when it comes to wages or transfer fees.

16. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #291 tomásbernal, May 8, 2023
    Last edited: May 8, 2023
    The Old Firm--especially Rangers--don't spend any more than upper-table clubs in Belgium. In fact, they spend less than the first 5 that I picked out on transfermarkt (Brugge, Anderlecht, Gent, Genk, Standard Liege). The Championship (and, of course, the EPL) spend way more than most continental clubs, but the Old Firm are middling at best over the last 20 years--most of their highest transfer fees paid happened around the turn of the millenium. And that's in real dollars, not adjusting for inflation!

Point being, if some club could have Trusty for, say, $4M there would be LOTS of potential suitors. It's when you get over the $10M mark that the pool of clubs dwindles greatly. Whether the Genks of the world would pay that much for a 25 year old CB, I couldn't say. But clubs in that range drop that money all the time. In the end, 25 isn't old for a CB at all. After 2 years of a new contract he'd be at prime age to be sold again at a profit (presuming, of course, he plays well).

17. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Yank fans should note. He was very consistent, reliable, and played a lot of matches also.

Very unYank like TBH. Teams take notice.

18. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clubs also surely notice that he's very well-liked (seemingly, anyway) by everyone, from the players in the locker room to the fans in the stands to the media that covers the team.

19. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Don't know if he'll do it or even get a chance but if I'm his management I'm asking for a Europa League club. Maybe some team is looking to save money or at least spend it elsewhere and would take him on loan for a year with continental footie available too. There's a pretty big gulf between relegation Championship side and EPL team. Maybe he can find a team that offers a different challenge than just further up the ladder in England.

20. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Leeds after they get relegated.

21. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I would take my shot at Arsenal this summer.

22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    For some reason, his name inspires confidence.

23. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go home, dad! You're embarrassing me.

randomnoise, gjackson2207 and Winoman repped this.
  24. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The source for this Rangers link is the Daily Record, a Scottish tabloid that operates according to the time-honoured traditions of the British yellow press: make it short, make it snappy and make it up.

Every EPL top-six loanee who's performed well in the Championship but not well enough to challenge for a place at his parent club will be linked with one or the other Old Firm over the summer. Some guys will be linked with both

25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States