Austin,Texas

Discussion in 'Austin FC' started by G Enriquez, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay34

Jay34 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    Aug 26, 2018
    Austin, TX

ScootiePippin repped this.
  2. Jay34

Jay34 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    Aug 26, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Sports teams are businesses that use fan emotion as a means of generating revenue. Film at 11.

3. MjrGrubert

MjrGrubert BigSoccer Supporter

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As was mentioned in the article the political connections/deal were made by Tavo who then brought the deal to Epstein who had the land and access to capital. The state subsidy of around $25m/year for 10 years that he brought was really an accomplishment. This is supposed to be somewhat offset by additional room taxes, rental car fees etc.
    As the article said they structured the deal poorly and eventually Epstein then squeezed out the originator (common PE story) and then went forward with the deal. They ran into financial troubles and raised limited partner money to go forward. The economics of the deal are apparently still under stress (missed projections, cap calls etc) as I have heard through a friend of one of the limiteds. No doubt the F1 (been a couple of times) and now Indy are assets to the community but the economics are underpinned by the subsidy. Which only goes a few more years. Then we will see what political connections he has at the state level. It was never projected to continue ad infinitum and times have definitely changed since then that will be an interesting discussion.
    No doubt he was blindsided by the MLS on the new team expansion probably right after they cashed his franchise fee. But instead of biting his tongue and trying to capitalize on the expanded offering he trying to derail it. But that comes at a cost in alienating a big portion of his potential fans thereby making that investment even riskier. Especially since its such a hypocritical complaint as COTA is all about sucking the government teat.
    Whether Epstein or Precourt is a better businessman is a waste of all of our time.
    Austin had no choice in the ownership. Hopefully he flips it or get squeezed out to someone on Blank/Haslam wealth meter but all Austin fans can do is get in the back seat and ride.

stanger repped this.
  4. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What needs to happen before Austin is announced as an MLS steam? When should we expect this?

5. ScootiePippin

ScootiePippin Red Card

Liverpool
    United States
    Dec 5, 2017
    San Antonio, TX
    Once the terms sheet is signed then it will probably be done rather quickly. My guess is in the next week or two.

6. MjrGrubert

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Posted on the Crew website (columbuscrewsc.com)

“First, I want to thank Mr. Precourt for entrusting me to build and lead a competitive team in Columbus,” said Gregg Berhalter. “He provided the resources necessary to assemble a strong technical department and develop our style of play over the past five years. This opportunity with U.S. Soccer is not possible without the support he provided in Columbus and I will continue to cherish our relationship.”

7. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I doubt it will be that soon. My guess is that when stadium construction begins, Garber will be there to make it official with one of those chrome or gold plated shovels. But Chase won't release the funds for construction until various other steps are completed. The lease for the land is just one of those. He'll need a stadium design and general and sub contractors acceptable to JPM. And he'll need various permits too before breaking ground.

Haslam/Edwards are expected to close their deal this week for the Crew so at the next BoG meeting they'll be approved and that's when Precourt will probably get the approval for Austin as a market and McKalla as the stadium site. MLS may require him to come up with some number of sponsorship dollars or season ticket deposits as an additional requirement.

8. unlikelyfan19

unlikelyfan19 Member

Fiorentina
    United States
    May 29, 2018
    "MLS is going to make Austin prove it even though they are more advanced in all of the above, however, Columbus won't have to deal with any of that".

You chat a LOT.

ScootiePippin, AustinSoccerBro and Jay34 repped this.
  9. Jay34

Jay34 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    Aug 26, 2018
    Austin, TX
    This one is my favorite.

10. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much is it for a season ticket deposit?

LainfordExpress and TheRealBilbo repped this.
  11. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I inquired about tickets last week and havent received a reply.

12. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Stop with the season ticket bullshit.
    It is textbook trolling.
    If I see it again, you will be banned.

Jay34, ScootiePippin and MjrGrubert repped this.
  13. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you want me to forward you the email? It's completely relevant and interesting to everyone what Austin FC's response to ticket inquiries are and I was giving the most up-to-date information.

14. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    No, it's not trolling. The reason Columbus has a team is because we had the most people sign up for season tickets back in 94 or 95. MLS has various market requirements and one of those is attendance. There needs to be some evidence of local interest. That's not to say Austin fails in that regard but why do you think PSV relied on an obviously skewed survey rather than actual commitments to buy when the team starts play?

15. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    No, Columbus will have to jump through the same hoops for our new stadium. Difference is that we already have one in the meantime.

16. MjrGrubert

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #942 MjrGrubert, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Fail. Its a troll and you are doing it too with your "reasons" which borders on gibberish.
    Go away.

Jay34 repped this.
  17. MjrGrubert

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the parking front the building out of this hike and bike trail should help.
    http://austintexas.gov/redlinetrail
    If Austin FC could cut a deal with IBM thats a ton of parking within a mile.

18. unlikelyfan19

unlikelyfan19 Member

Fiorentina
    United States
    May 29, 2018
    IBM is currently moving out of that building and consolidating over into a building on the other end of the Domain. The current IBM building is being transitioned into "Domain 2.1" at this point. "Broadmoore Campus". Going to become mixed use, shops and eats low, work and homes high. Typical Austin development lmao. However, at least the train will have a stop right in the middle.

Red - Current IBM future Broadmoore
    Green - New IBM site
    Blue - McKalla Place

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. unlikelyfan19

unlikelyfan19 Member

Fiorentina
    United States
    May 29, 2018
    So? We don't need one for two and a half years?

20. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Agreed. Scootie seemed to think that signing the lease is the only thing holding MLS back from announcing Austin. But there are some other ducks which must be lined up for the stadium to be a done deal.

21. unlikelyfan19

unlikelyfan19 Member

Fiorentina
    United States
    May 29, 2018
    Well, to be fair, I agree with Scootie. I think once the lease is signed, it will be 7-14 days after that and we'll see MLS announce officially.

Jay34 and ScootiePippin repped this.
  22. MjrGrubert

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #948 MjrGrubert, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Oh. Part time resident goof. Well with 6m! sf of office/retail/apartments they will be adding a bunch of parking to the area which has got to be a positive.

unlikelyfan19 repped this.
  23. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d take that wager. Lease is supposed to be signed by 12/12? Is that right?

So you’re saying the MLS announcement would be 12/19-12/26? Let’s call it 12/31 due to holidays.

I don’t see that happening.

catfish9 repped this.
  24. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. We know (from PSV's own mouths) that they need significant committed sponsorship dollars (I'd have to go back look up how much Loughne spouted) in order to obtain financing from bank. It was way more than just naming rights. So in order to get shovels in the ground, they would have to announce (at least to bank) a truck load of long term sponsor commitments. So even if/when they announce lease is finalized, there are a ton of stars that need to align before any construction starts.