Austin,Texas

Discussion in 'Austin FC' started by G Enriquez, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Austin>>>>>>>>San Antonio, IMO.

I would absolutely love for Austin to get a team if possible.

4. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue Member

Sep 18, 2013
    441654870353797120 is not a valid tweet id

Skippysasquirrel repped this.
  5. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Interesting.. But at a guess the team would need a really wealthy backer to really get an inside track

6. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I love Austin. If you're a man looking for a date and you shower daily, that's 90 percent of the battle.

9. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You need to keep in mind that the Chronicle is a weekly arts rag. The reason for the odd timing is that the "Week of April 1" issue was just published. I can guarantee you that it's an April 1 joke. That may require an understanding of Austin to really get it.

mundial repped this.
  10. mundial

mundial Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. From the article:

"the city of Austin is about to announce the construction of a new soccer stadium in the middle of the Colorado River"

and

"Modeled after a similar project in Kazan City, Russia (and another in the Persian Gulf nation of Qatar), the stadium...will be accessible by rail, boat, the new canoe/kayak facility at the mouth of Waller Creek, helicopter, jet-ski, or zip-line. (And as conceptually envisioned, monorail.)"

I happen to be visiting Austin this week and my wife brought the article to my attention, but it's pretty clear it's a joke. (Not a particularly funny one, mind you)

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing I thought of after reading the article, figuring its all a blow hard joke is "San Antonio is probably going to get this".

Or Minnesota.

12. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garber says he's in advanced discussions with Detroit, St. Louis, San Diego, San Antonio, and Austin for expansion
    — Evan Ream (@EvanReam) April 14, 2016

13. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well considering Austin can't keep a team around, San Antonio has the backing of the Spurs and both cities aren't getting a team... hard pass on Austin. Not sure why it keeps getting mentioned IMO.

The One X, UCFWayne and Macsen repped this.
  14. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    High tech town, high income town, highly educated work force, high hipster quotient, no competition from professional or semi-pro sports teams aside from the NBA D-League and the Univ. of Texas.

15. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People really need to understand just how huge TU is in this picture, in this regard. There's a reason NO sport has gone to Austin and the ones that have, are minor league and actually play out of town.

The One X repped this.
  16. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Big Soccer posters are lacking in imagination. Most see other metro areas deep-down as a just a slightly different version of their own. I have no direct experience of a single college sports program with the ability to totally overshadow other sports in a city but I can imagine being so and I will take a local's word for it.
    I'm reminded of the posters who are totally unable to believe in the difficulties of building a stadium or siting a lower-level team in large densely populated cities.

17. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TU athletics posted an $80m+ PROFIT last year

18. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ehhh....San Antonio is not a slam dunk either. Their stadium is not MLS-ready, and they are going to ask for taxpayer help to do expansion to the stadium to make it MLS ready. Add in that the stadium is way out in suburbs and not in an urban environment like all of the other stadiums, and it's not a guarantee. They have enough holes in their plan to allow an Austin to sneak up and steal one of the spots.

tallguy repped this.
  19. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not really convinced that San Antonio would be a better location for an MLS team than Austin.

20. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the other stadiums? There are plenty which aren't in downtown areas.

Having some familiarity with San Antonio, the location is certainly not remote--the interchange between I-35 and the I-410 loop is built out for miles in every direction, even if it's not high density. The project already has the support of the city. Also, this is SSE we're talking about--few sports organizations are as competent or as beloved by their community. This isn't like Miami, where the actions of one ownership group have left people fundamentally (and justifiably) distrustful.

Is it a lock? No, not like Sacramento. But it's pretty clearly the next best. (And contrary to conventional wisdom, San Antonio having a team does not rule out Austin.)

21. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Way out in the suburbs" absolutely not. You have zero clue and that comment reflects as such. Perhaps you read an inadequately informed article from a few weeks ago on SA? The stadium sits within the city of San Antonio and is right off the junction of one of the two main HW's that run through and one of the biggest throughway's in the city. when you look at the breakdown of the major population areas in Greater SA the stadium is located near the majority of the largest ones.

The stadium was constructed specifically to be expanded. Even with taxpayer money involved it won't be an enormous cost (relatively speaking), especially if SSE pitches anything in. Of course, Toyota might as part of their sponsorship ... and there are several other, rather large/significant corporate entities that could hop on board in this regard. There's plenty that could happen/options to explore outside of taxpayer involvement (not saying that there won't be any).

Urban like ALL OF THE OTHER stadiums? Holy crap you must not know a thing about MLS stadium locations.

While our case may not be airtight .... you're way off on the reality of it and already existing situations within the league.

What does Austin have, AT ALL?

I really hate when people who have no clue just spew all sorts of garbage.

o_O You're going to need to elaborate on that one.

VBCity72 repped this.
  22. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To address complaints and concerns about how distant SAFC is from downtown, here are the driving distances from downtown (as determined by Google Maps) for each MLS franchise:

Atlanta: 1 mile
    Chicago: 15 mi
    Columbus: 5 mi
    Montreal: 6 mi
    New England: 28 mi
    New York City FC: 12 mi
    New York Red Bulls: 11 mi
    Orlando: 1 mi (new site)
    Philadelphia: 21 mi
    Toronto: 3 mi
    Washington, DC: 5 mi (Buzzard Point)
    Colorado: 12 mi
    Dallas: 29 mi
    Houston: 2 mi
    Kansas City: 16 mi
    Los Angeles FC: 5 mi
    Los Angeles Galaxy: 17 mi
    Minnesota: 6 mi
    Portland: 1 mi
    Salt Lake: 14 mi
    San Jose: 4 mi
    Seattle: 1 mi
    Vancouver 1 mi

San Antonio: 13 miles

For the 24 locations listed, the mean is 10 miles. The median is 6 miles. The first quartile is up to 3 miles, the second is 4-6 miles, the third is 6-14 miles, and the fourth is 15 or more.

23. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah the san Antonio "distance" is nothing to worry about once you've been to the city and understand it. It is arguably THE artery of the city as far as transportation goes, and you could make a convincing argument it would actually be a better location than downtown for that reason alone.

By all accounts, from ownership to stadium, San Antonio is leaps and bounds ahead of not just Austin, but all competition in the post Sacramento. They are the huge favorite for team 25/26 right now, and are probably further along in the process than Miami is. They come in with either Sacramento (if Miami pulls one out of their butts and surprises everyone), or with Miami, or St Louis, but im confident they are the favorites for the next team in.

24. greenroom

greenroom BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So your saying that SAFC would be on par with LA Galaxy, Salt Lake, KC, and both NY teams . It seems our city is set like Salt Lake and KC which both are outstanding MLS fan bases.